AR Pistol Foregrips?

Due to shoulder problems I shoot an AR 223/5.56 pistol with no brace on the buffer tube, just a foam pad against my cheek. With that in mind I am considering trying a foregrip and looking for some feedback on them. The two I have initially considered are the BCM KAG and the Leapers UTG. I also think I will try mounting it both in the “normal” orientation as well as “reversed” to see which way works best for me. The “normal” position seems to be more designed for pulling the firearm into the shoulder which is not applicable for me.

BCM KAG:

Leapers UTG:
MT_AFGK01_PRO_1

Thanks for any help :+1:

2 Likes

Another optiom is the Magpul foregrip, simlar to the first one you have there. It’s not as pronounced on the rear. This is how it looks on my M&P15:

2 Likes

Thanks Thomas, do you shoot it with the buffer up against your cheek, or do you shoulder it?

Do you find it helps with recoil control and quicker follow up shots?

Also do you “cradle” it or “c-clamp” over the top of the barrel?

1 Like

I find it best with my cheek in contact with the buffer. it helps to keep your head straight, instead of leaning your head over. I also pull the foregrip back against my right shoulder pocket. The recoil is amazingly low while the 223 explosion is quite loud. I don’t feel much recoil. When I first shot the AR I resorted to how I learned to shoot a 12 ga shotgun. I was surprised at how low the recoil was.

I cradle the foregrip when I shoot. My left index finger is around the front of the foregrip pulling back into my shouder pocket, with three fingers wrapped underneath and around to the right side, and my thumb rides straight along the left side. That suits me best,

Take a look at some YouTube videos on AR shooting and find what suits you best. Here’s one from Warrior Poet:

3 Likes

Just for clarification, this is an example of what I am shooting. It is not an AR rifle, but rather an AR pistol:

There is no contact with the shoulder when in use. There is no stock nor brace, just a foam buffer tube pad as shown above. The buffer tube pad is in contact with the side of the cheek.

2 Likes

@Gary_H I would be careful of the BCM on a pistol, they MAY have an ATF letter saying it is good but it looks “vertical” to me and that is verboten on a pistol. The “AFG’s” like UTG & MagPul’s are good to go on pistols with an ATF letter. I find the MagPul to be comfortable and use it on my pistol with a brace.

Cheers,

Craig6

3 Likes

@Gary_H Not exactly on this topic but applicable since you have shoulder issues is a shooting technique favored by some European SWAT types with their HKMP5’s where the sling is your shoulder stop. Instead of using the butt stock as a “lever” in the shoulder as most American’s are taught to do. They adjust the sling so that they push the gun away from the shoulder and hit the stop(s) on the sling for stability. It takes some time to get the sling set up properly but it does work well when practiced and adjusted.

Cheers,

Craig6

4 Likes

Thanks Craig, I think I will give the sling technique a try.

1 Like

Gonna go with @Craig6 here, vertical grip strictly verboten. Slanted grip is the way to go. I have an AR-15 pistol in .300 Blackout. Slanted fore grips are ok but I found once I put my light on it I didn’t need it.

1 Like

Yeah…that’s a whole different animal. They’re popular but I have no desire to own one yet.

1 Like