Force on Force Training with Simunitions

So I’m trying to catch up on training opportunities before the end of the year (my goal is to attend 1-2 “significant” trainings a year and with COVID they were all cancelled).

Now with COVID restrictions loosening, I found an opportunity not too far away that involved force on force (MTAC in Muncie, IN).

Now I’ve been to several defensive handgun trainings using live fire and movement etc, and one that involved some force on force with SIRT laser pistols…but this was my first one with simunitions in a “shoot house.”

All I can say is after 6hrs, I wanted another 3! The training was excellent!

Scenarios ranged from the correct solution being using verbal judo and walking away to drawing from the drop where the aggressor starts off firing at your before you have an opportunity to draw (training for staying in the fight).

Being fired at while attempting to operate your weapon is a whole different level of stress that honestly I had somewhat forgotten about.

Anyone else have that experience with force on force training?

I’ll definitely be going back for more.

4 Likes

Over the years I have had the opportunity to do many FOF trainings with simunition, paintball and other stuff. Simunition is the most realistic because you are using real guns as in the ones you actually carry. One of the things that really stood out to me was the number of hits to the fingers, hands and arms that folks would take. I found that it was disproportionately higher in simunition environments than actual combat.

I don’t know that I would call it an increased level of stress, but the intensity of the training was through the roof. Definitely good stuff but even better if you are at the top level of the game as it hones the edge so finely. I would submit that a mid to average level shooter would not actually GAIN anything from full bore FOF simunition training as there is so much happening so quickly that if you even have to think about your firearm it’s too late. I normally recommend as much and any kind of training you can get is good training. For FOF simunition I would have to put it under the “You must be this tall to ride” category.

Cheers,

Craig6

4 Likes

Amen that…I reflected on that during my debrief from one of the scenarios where the aggressor was going for what I thought was a gun in his sweatshirt…I drew down on him and reverted back to my Air Force cadre voice giving him commands…the instructors admitted being a little shocked hearing commands like that from a civilian and the aggressor instructor admitted he was starting to draw until I started issuing commands at him like that, and it froze him for a minute or so…but he still eventually drew, lol.

I also found that it was very helpful in experiencing tunnel vision and then recognizing it and attempting to mitigate it. In fact in the above scenario, because I was “tunnel visioned” in on his hand in his sweatshirt pocket, I missed an opportunity to gain some concealment and distance behind a car.

3 Likes

That’s what I was referring to in that type of training being for the more advanced shooter. That you were able to recognize that you were “tunneling in” and were able to push through or at least recognize it on reflection is evidence of a higher state of function.

Tunnel vision affects all of us to some degree or another and the more we are exposed to multi hazard, high intensity scenarios the better we are at adapting to it. A new shooter is still trying to get his feet to work with his gun hands let alone looking for threats and engaging them. To that end I do like IDPA/IPSC/3 - Gun competitions to bring on that stress and teach people though the tunnel vision in a “safe” environment.

Cheers,

Craig6

3 Likes

I really need to get some training. I haven’t had any type of handgun class in over 5 years. I’ve taken several before & always come away with confidence. It’s time again

3 Likes

I very much want simunitions, but last time I looked, they were something like $25 a round! I was shocked and didn’t buy any.

3 Likes

Fortunately the class supplied all the simunitions and modified guns for use. I meant I had to get used to a Glock for the class, but it was of similar size as my EDC weapon so it worked out.

Actually, it was the holster I really had to adjust to…(don’t listen to anyone who says holsters don’t matter).

2 Likes

While with the NYPD we trained on FATS, Fire Arms Training Systems. They used a bunch of force on force scenarios on like a large projector. We learned a lot and it was a bit intense. Some perps in the scenarios were unarmed and were shot anyway. Some scenarios were men with automatic weapons shooting at you. You would have to take cover and engage the targets while shouting commands. But we learned a lot every time we trained on it. A red mark showed up for lethal hit, green for non lethal hit and yellow was a miss. It was great training. I sure miss those days.

1 Like

I would have to disagree with this statement, the problem I have with most training is the fact that the shooter is only experiencing it one way - from his/her gun to the target. I would recommend that anyone who decides to Carry all the time at least go through a FoF training right after they feel they have command of the basics shooting at targets. They won’t be masters but it will open up their view as to how really ready they are to enter a conflict where the bullets are flying both directions and show them where they need to improve and extend their training. I have witnessed competition shooters who can move through the course quickly and hit their targets with precision attend their first FoF and not hit a single adversary when that first time pain of getting hit sets in.

2 Likes