Flying with an AR Pistol

Does anyone have any experience flying with a legal AR style pistol?

I want to know if I can fly on a commercial flight with my DDM4 PDW.

1 Like

Would assume it should be the same as any other firearms. Call your carrier and ask what is expected for firearms or check their website. Shouldn’t be an issue.

6 Likes

Ive been getting conflicting info and have not been able to get a straight forward answer. I also would assume it would be the same as any other firearm but most people are not educated or up to date on laws. My concern is that someone might think it’s an SBR or just freak out all together when they see it. This isn’t a situation a want to assume or just hope for the best.

2 Likes

Would assume it would be fine. Don’t offer a description. I declared firearms and no one looked at them. Mags out and empty,ammo in factory carton, locked in a hard case, in my checked bag. They ran it through the super x-ray and put a huge orange sticker on my bag and a claim check for personal pickup at luggage services not the public belt. Mine was simple. Just experience with Delta.

6 Likes

Thank you, appreciate you sharing your personal experience

3 Likes

Hello and welcome @Camilo2
Craig is correct. Don’t over think it, it’s a firearm, as long as it’s locked in a TSA approved case you’ll be fine.

4 Likes

Also a good idea to check with TSA at your departure airport. Be aware that what is acceptable can change right up to your departure date. Give serious thought to shipping it to an FFL at your destination.

3 Likes

Suggest you telephone an airline to get the answer to your question. SMH.

1 Like
2 Likes

Carry Trainer “How to Fly with a Gun. Episode 96” Excellent citation. No BS, Good treatment of the subject.
Thank you @Forensic_Wow

1 Like

Yep he tells you what to do during the whole transaction. They always say get there about 2 hours before your trip. If you think TSA will hold you up or you’re bringing firearms, plan ahead an extra 2 hours. So get there at LEAST 4 hours ahead of time. Planning my trip in November and I’m planning to be around close to 5 hours before my flight.

Make sure to put a Nintendo DS on your budget list, with a game. It’s about $50 for the Nintendo DS and another $20-$30 for the games. So you won’t be sitting there irritated for waiting for your flight even if it gets delayed.

1 Like

Welcome aboard, Camilo2. :slight_smile:

Everything I find indicates that if it’s legally a pistol, and if you can legally possess it at your origin and destination, you can check it as you would any other firearm/pistol.

I look forward to the other responses and your after action report.

In my experience flying with firearms (which I have done quite a bit), 2-2.5 hours before departure has been good. Some buffer in that, usually.

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blog/wheels-flying-gun/

3 Likes