First AR 15 - 22lr vs other calibers

@Martin36 >> spend some time understanding good ear protection for your
Sun. Don’t want to start another bees nest but they should be at least 31 DBS. It won’t take too long to permanently damage hearing. Do a little research on hearing protection. Your going to hear this and that is ok and some of the advisers already have hearing loss. PS: if your looking for a recreational rifle for your son look at some bolt action rifle’s. Could be useful for hunting too.
:us::us::us:

2 Likes

Since the nest was kicked- Indoor range I have the Walkers Game bluetooth 28db protection under the 31db earmuffs.
Outdoor only 1 or the other. Unless it’s one of those tin roof echo chamber ranges. Then both.

1 Like

Thanks for tip on hearing protection. At the indoor range, we double up with the foam ear plugs under ear muffs. The foamies are 30+ NRR. The ear muffs are 28 I believe.

1 Like

So the muffs are useless,?

@David65 mine are too but I double up with plugs to get above 28dbs. It makes a big difference. Do some research and see what you think. I wear ear balls/muffs
With 22 rifles, and double up for anything bigger. All of this was Discussed under the topic of ( TINNITUS & YOU) under miscellaneous . You can look at every body’s opinion but at the end of the day in my opinion the protection should be at a minimum of 31 dB.
:us::us::us:

There is a formula I came across somewhere a while ago but couldn’t find it with a quick search. I think it was something along the lines of when you double up on ear pro you are adding something like 3 to 5 dB of protection to the highest rated pair you are using. May not sound like much but that is actually cutting the level of sound reaching your eardrum by half again over the single pair.

1 Like

and while purchasing my suppressors, I learned that 7 decibels is half the volume, so 3-5 is actually not bad at all.

Ok so all true. My thought was if the foam plug is 30 what good are the muffs at 28? If the foam was 28 & the muffs 30 then I understand. Is this still incorrect?

@David-65 >>> pleases direct to ( TINNITUS & YOU ) how did you get tinnitus >> May 2021 - miscellaneous.

Interesting read but no help on the order of things. Thanks anyways…

1 Like

@David-65 as long as you come up with + 30 DBS your good to go.
I referred you to the other post because of a bees nest that starts when you talk about hearing protection. As far as helping you, I’m on your side and I will help you with anything i can 24/7.

1 Like

Just wanted to say thanks for everyone’s help.

I ordered a PSA MLOK build kit with flip up sights and lower today. I will have a real AR15 for just over 530. Given the pricing I will have more than enough to get a 22 conversion kit.

Thanks again for help and advice.

6 Likes

Welcome to the club! I really like my PSA. It goes bang every time I pull the trigger and is reasonably accurate. Just make sure to budget a little money for a good supply of magazines. They are still surprisingly cheap right now. Then there’s optics, lights etc. etc. Be careful it can be a very slippery slope :wink:

1 Like

Have you put any thought into how you would like to set it up? As in a light or optic?

1 Like

Thanks. Yeah now comes the bag, extra mags, etc.

I picked up 100 rounds of 223 and 2 mags to start.

1 Like

My plan for a while is no optics and just run the flip up sights. I need to insure my proficiency with them before adding an optic. I want to get the point that aiming is automatic before adding the optic.

It will be a range and home defense gun primarily so the first thing I might add after the 22 conversion kit is a light. I say might because in the home defense scenario I don’t intend to clear rooms and I would flip as many of the lights on as possible. The light would mainly be needed if we lost power or I needed to venture off my property for some reason.

1 Like

The American’s Family: 1 vs Tyranny: 0

3 Likes

I run Olight’s on all my home defense / bump in the night guns.
Noticeably cheaper than surefire & streamlight, easy to mount, use, charge etc…
If needed there are some WML’s on Amazon for under $50 that held up for the month it took my budget to allow the upgrades.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip.

o’light odin on my shotgun…it’s a beast @2000 lumens, and is bright enough to disorient.
Couple Crimson Trace 900 lumen lights on my AR’s. Inexpensive, bright and lightweight.
O’lights on 3 pistols, 2 minis and 1 not so mini :rofl:
Also, among flashlights, have the 14000 lumen O’light Marauder…no hiding from that beam.

highly recommend checking ArmsUnlimited.com for O’light products, as I found them less expensive than the o’light stores sale prices when I went on my "light spree"awhile ago. Got my Marauder for $220 there, and O’light had marked it down from $330 to $270 at the same time…hyped sale that got beat by $50.
Also noticing a Streamlight 1000 lumen weaponlight on sale for $110 , thursdays email from them.

1 Like