AR15 converted to 22LR with CMMG kit

Hello, everyone!! Has anyone else here converted their AR15 to shoot 22LR with the CMMG bolt conversion kit?

I have and just love it. I mean who doesn’t like plinking targets with 22LR and a red dot? Plus, the 22LR you can get ammo on the cheap, as low as $00.08 a round sometimes. Thought???

2 Likes

Guy at the club had one one day, and I had to ask, seeing an AR with a definitely different report. He loves it. I thought about getting the kit, but have a few .22lr rifles and 6k of 5.56 rounds for my 5 5.56 guns. I did get a .22lr kit for my G17 styled pistols and find that good practice for sight picture and draw practice…as well as the comedy of the “40 grain of goodness mag dumps” which cost 30 cents :hugs:…got my .22 as cheap as .03/rd, and quit counting at 8k rounds of that caliber a few weeks back. Got a few types of cci, aquila, Winchester, Remington, Eley and other brands.

1 Like

Nice collection, yeah, I have about 15k rounds of 22LR. I also have a couple hand guns that shoot 22 as well as an Germany 22LR with a suppressor!! I Cant go out shooting without it, as it is way to fun not too!!

1 Like

Keep an eye out for lead buildup in your barrel shooting 22 rimfire. Once it starts, it will get bad quickly. Be ready to push out lead slivers on patches for a while if it happens.
Otherwise it’s a fun and pretty reliable kit!

1 Like

I have used my CMMG conversion kit for over a year; approx. 2,100rds. It cycles virtually any brand and loading when it’s clean. I completely disassemble the unit every other session and do an extreme clean on it and lube it a bit heavier. The lead slivers that @Barry54 mentioned hadn’t become prevalent until I started using some bulk Remington Thunderbolt- LRN ammo. Once it’s gone, NO MAS as it’s filthy too…

One thing that was recommended during my research was that after using the .22lr, run a couple of magazines of good .223 or 5.56 ammo though the AR to help burn off some of the rimfire gunk from the barrel and especially the gas tube.
Enjoy the :moneybag: :moneybag: :moneybag:SAVINGS as the cost of the conversion kit is covered very quickly given today’s prices. Also, get some extra mags as the 25rds goes quicker than you realize and they’re slower to reload.

1 Like

Thanks for the info, I will have to do that on the putting 223/556 through next time I go shooting again. I have three mags with 25 rounds each and even with three the rounds go quickly!!! :smile:

1 Like

my 6 empty quickly as well… seems like it takes longer to load the mags than it does to dump them :rofl:.
FYI: there are a couple of loaders that help speed the process, metal one by CMMG and a 3d printed one by bloody wheels (preferred). Enjoy the plinking!

I’m not a AR fan but I saw a conversion kit for for a 1911 for 22 LR that was nice but it wasn’t cheep.
Have fun.

1 Like

Yeah, very true, I spent around $170.00 for it for 3 25 round magazines and the kit.

2 Likes

Oh, yes it does build up quickly. I use my bore snake and clean the barrel often. Thanks for the heads up, I appreciate it!!

I have mine on a dedicated pistol and have had no issues with it for almost 2 years

1 Like

An FYI for anyone thinking about buying the CMMG conversion, AT3 has them for $139 right now
CMMG 22LR Conversion Kits for AR-15 (at3tactical.com)

2 Likes

They have a kit as well where you get three magazines!!! Smoking good price.

1 Like