AR-22 or .22LR Lever Gun?

I am thinking about getting a “fun” .22LR rifle. I’ve considered the S&W AR-22, the Browning BL-22, and the Ruger .22LR Precision Rifle. So far, the precision seems less likely than either the AR or the lever gun, and the lever gun has a slight advantage that wavers every now and then. I know the AR and the Precision rifles are intended to be “training” for larger calibers, but I’m not interested in that aspect. I’m just looking for an hour or two of fun at the range.

There are several brands of both the AR-22s and the lever guns, but I don’t know about any competitors to Ruger’s precision rifle, which is good for maybe 250-to-300 yards max, according to what I’ve read.

Any ideas or suggestions about these three categories, or another that I didn’t think of yet? Thanks in advance.

3 Likes

If I was looking for a fun gun in .22. I would recommend the Ruger 10/22.

9 Likes

I think the Ruger 10/22 is out of production. I just bought a Thompson Center .22 semi auto that is awesome. It has a Magpul stock, uses a 10 round circular magazine, has a built in picatinny rail, threaded barrel, sling attachments, and is made in the USA. The bolt stays open when the last round is fired. Several good videos on YouTube.

3 Likes

Ruger 10/22 will likely never be out of production!

Get a lever only after you cycle one a bunch of times. I wanted one and it turned out to be more romantic than realistic. It was an unnecessary PITA to use.

7 Likes

The 10/22 (as others have said) is probably your best choice. The Ruger is still in production and you can upgrade it with parts (check out Kidd) if you wanted to move into the precision game later on with it. My 2nd gun was a 10/22 (the first was a Ruger MK II pistol) and it is still working perfectly today 30+ years after I bought it. FWIW: I have a Ruger Precision Rimfire, a Marlin Golden Boy (lever action .22) and even a handed down Winchester 1906 in .22 short. They are all fun but if I had to pick 1 it would be the 10/22.

4 Likes

Buy a 10/22 lower, and piece one together. Or just get a regular 10/22.

5 Likes

Don’t forget about Henry lever actions and the Marlin 60.

5 Likes

This has been the reason many of my toys get put into storage - thanks for reminding me, @Brad.

1 Like

Never heard of this before, but it has some very clean lines - nice idea. Thanks, @Simjack.

1 Like

Hi @Greg1,

I am looking at the Mark IV Target, the new one with the wrap around wooden grips. Very nice looking.

The rifles you mention are all on my list except the Ruger 10/22, which looked like a typical bolt action - not as classy as the others. Maybe I’ll take a closer look look. Thanks.

2 Likes

The 10/22 is a semi-auto. Make sure you look at all the options Ruger offers (Take Down, stainless steel, wood, composite, or synthetic stock) plenty to choose from.

The Mark IV is a LOT easier to take down and clean than the previous models.

Hope you enjoy which ever you choose, .22’s are a lot of fun and about as cheap to feed as anything you can shoot.

4 Likes

I have 3 Ruger 10/22s. I have my original from 1982, still shoots.
The +side for a lever action is you can shoot the shortest of .22 shorts to the fastest .22 long rifle.

4 Likes

Me Too! I didn’t learn the Lesson with My .45 Colt & bought a “Romantic” Western Henry Octagon barreled 30/30. Wears the top of My fingers OUT shooting it.
The .45 Colt I’d Purchased to go along with My .45 Colt Revolver so I didn’t shoot it Much. OUCHA

2 Likes

Too many bad experiences trying to get lever guns to work right. For a fun plinker I would go with just about any 22LR bolt gun manufactured since the 1960’s. You can’t hurt them, they are cheap as all get out and stupidly accurate if you leave the barrel dirty (clean the action). A dedicated 22 upper for an AR platform is the only way to go as the twist rates for 5.56 and 22LR are totally separate.

Cheers,

Craig6

3 Likes

Hi Alex,I have a Ruger 1022 and love it,bought it back in the 80s have had a lot of fun with it,also have two 30 rd magazines for it.never had a problem with it,going to teach my grand kids to shoot with it soon,it comes with a 10rd magazine.hope this helps,be safe my friend :+1::sunglasses:

2 Likes

There is so much support for the 10/22 that I am compelled to at least take a closer look at it. Ruger’s website has a bunch of them. The “takedown lite” looks very nice and comes with a backpack especially designed for the two halves.

Thanks, all, for the excellent advice.

Alex

3 Likes

The 10/22 is ALMOST as Lego as the AR-15. Fun to shoot easy ish on the wallet and in general stupid accurate.

Cheers,

Craig6

3 Likes

I purchased the S&W M&P 15-22, AR15 style, for training.

It’s a cheap fun gun. The package I bought included soft case and red dot.

I may even use it in the Steel Competition, since .22LR rounds are so cheap.

I love my 10/22 Takedown with the magpul stock, I keep it in a backpack ready to go and for fun at the range, got a pair of 110rd drum mags.

I’m going to be annoying and say I think the Rugar 10/22 is overrated. My brother has one, it’s a joy to shoot, but it gets old quick to me. (This is my Opinion). My brothers 10/22 also had a part break off, it was a pretty common problem (can’t remember the part). This part rendered the rifle useless. Rugar sent the part to us, but we still paid a gunsmith to fix it. Since then, we had a few issues. We later found out it didn’t like the Federal bulk .22 lr ammo but but are the Winchester and CC (this may be what led to the part breaking). Now it works perfectly. It is a fun gun (especially with a 25 rd mag) but I don’t think it’s the end all be all. I think there is a lot of nostalgia for it since this is often one of the first guns people get. It is a really good rifle! Maybe my brothers gun was cursed because it was purchased at Dicks Sporting Goods :joy:. I may buy one myself one day, but that M&P 22 sport and a lever action 22 sound more fun to me. Fun is very relative :man_shrugging:t2:.