Firearms in pulp fiction paperbacks

I don’t know if the paperback fiction genre is as popular as it once was before the age of Hulu and Netflix, but I know I read a lot of it—an interesting way to pass the time on a rainy afternoon or during an extended stay in the hospital or poolside in a boring vacation resort town.
Delving into a good series can be a delightful endeavor.
A lot of series involve firearms and it is pretty evident which writers are competent to write about guns and which are not. There is a long standing tradition, especially in fiction directed towards male readership, that there is a reasonable discourse on stuff be it cars, stereo sound systems, or firearms— of uniquely American origin going back to Moby Dick as Fiction was considered unmanly unless something of technical value could be learned from reading—like how a Whaling ship conducts business in the example of Moby Dick.

Ian Fleming added this quality, albeit sparsely, to his James Bond series. John D. MacDonald lavished technical info in his Travis McGee series(quite a bit of love for the Ruger .44 Magnum carbine, not to mention how to restore a Rolls Royce Silver Ghost hearse!) Dean Koontz followed suite with his Odd Thomas series where Odd—a teen age drop out, working as a fry cook, from a dysfunctional family, who is haunted by the ghost of Elvis Presley— and quite the pacifist—always ends up with a Beretta or Glock to fight the sinister villains, mentally running through a manual of arms for whichever model pistol he finds before engaging in battle.

I was wondering if anyone here has enjoyed such pulp fiction and which novels, or series of novels, you’ve had fun reading?

6 Likes

I’m a fan of Lee Child’s Jack Reacher series. I’ve got all his books.
Actually this was the first time I’ve found my interest in SIG’s handguns being introduced to them through these books.

2 Likes

I started a book, I don’t remember the title. The author described the sound of the hammer being cocked on a Glock. I put the book down. How could I believe any of the rest of it?

4 Likes

:joy: and that’s what we call fiction :joy:

3 Likes

My personal favorite is Tom Clancy. The early scenes of Cardinal of the Kremlin was heartstopping with The Archer.

He also brought me “inside a submarine.”

4 Likes

I am also of fan of the Jack Reacher books. In one recent story the bad guys were armed with a particular sub machine gun capable of a 600 rounds-per-minute rate of fire. Jack reasons that they will likely set the select fire switch to three round burst. The action takes place out in the countryside and he wonders about how distant neighbors might react to the sound of gunfire. He figures that 600 rounds per minute = 10 rounds per second = 1\3 of a second for three rounds, and that untrained people probably won’t even recognize the sound as gunfire unless there’s a lot of it over a longish period of time.

I can’t speak to the accuracy of the info, but interesting to think about.

4 Likes

I grew up in the 70’s and 80’s and fell in love with the Mack Bolan series of books, anti Mafia, Vietnam Vet returned home to find his parents victims of the Mob. It has been many years since I read them but recall his favorite rifle was a 460 WBY Magnum for long range and a pair of Beretta 93R’s. Being some what wiser in long range ballistics now the bloom fell off that rose but I did get the chance to play with real Beretta 93R’s and they are a BLAST to shoot! I even made the recommendation to the HK engineers that they should consider the fold down fore grip and extended trigger guard for the HK-23. Obviously they didn’t take my idea but that would have made that beast of a pistol much better.

Cheers,

Craig6

4 Likes

I remember Mack Bolan, The Executioner. He traveled around in a GMC motor home.

3 Likes

Gone to Texas Esa Earl Carter

2 Likes