Fanny Pack Help!

Oddly enough, my wife is the oldest child in her family and she has some substantially younger siblings. I just found out from one of the younger ones that fanny packs are “cool” again! I just told them I’ve been cool all along :grin:

As to waist-packs (what I’ve always called them), I find Velcro to be great for a fast presentation but I’m also concerned that at times you might want to deploy your firearm without “advertising” you did and for that reason I’ve stayed away from Velcro for years now. All my waist packs and other types of carry packs have zippers on them and I add extended pull strings with macrame knots on them (see picture) so I can grab and rip open quickly one handed BUT also keep the zippers well waxed so I can slowly and quietly unzip if needed.

Bellow is a Maxpedition Pili on the right, a model that unfortunately I believe they no longer make, with the pull I made for it. It is a lot less “Tactical” than other options out there but still built to take a lot of abuse and big enough to carry my Kimber Officers sized 1911, spare mag, cell phone, keys and small wallet. That’s is my minimalist “beach rig”. Another option I love is my Fat Boy on the left. Carries a lot of “stuff” for a day out and comes in other colors that are less military looking. Of course I do have my USCCA patches on mine :+1::+1:

4 Likes

I like the way the patches look on your packs there Enzo_T

1 Like

5.11 made a really nice one that fit a full size handgun. IDK if they still do or not.

2 Likes

Thanks! I’m rather fond of them.

1 Like

Thanks!

Thanks!

1 Like

Nice! Why is it that anything that works is no longer made?? That Maxi looks ideal!

1 Like

It’s called the Select Carry Pistol Pouch for covert ops (yeah!) and every day carry. It looks like it does the job but I don’t think I’d go “covert” with this because it has a distinctive look and could be recognized by someone who knows this business.

1 Like

@Enzo_T and any other Maxpedition fans… They are currently having a BOGO sale on their “Legacy” equipment (I believe they are discontinuing). Its their original line of products, so its a a bit more “tactical” looking, but worth a look to see if they have anything you might want as those bags are super durable. When you first get to the website you’ll see a popup to signup to their email newsletter for 15% off, but forewarned it says it only applies to full-price products (I may test that theory though).

1 Like

Nice, thanks!

1 Like

Agreed. I’m not worried about people who know this business–unless you mean well educated thugs.

1 Like

After doing some search on the suggestions made to my inquiry, I decided to go with this Elite Tactical Pack. It doesn’t fill the bill completely but it comes close. The weapon is quite securely held and it comes with two soft holsters depending on barrel length. It’s padded, holds an extra mag and feels secure around the waist. The drawback is that there is not much room for anything else but “gun”. There’s a small zippered pocket on the front for thin items. It is quite well made and expensive, over $50 but it should suffice.

2 Likes

For hiking I use a “Wynex Chest Pouch”. Only $14.99 on Amazon. I have had mine for months, a low price with surprisingly good quality.

If you take away the morale patches and extra magazine from the front, it’s pretty discreet… and holds a lot of other useful tools and supplies.

3 Likes

Both of these fit the bill pretty well you can’t go wrong with either one. Pretty nice for summer and fall wear.

2 Likes

Can’t go wrong with maxpedition gear. Pricey, but great stuff.

2 Likes

I went with the 5.11 Push Pack. Originally bought the one in FDE color, but thought it looked too “military/tactical”, and recently ord’d it in black. Also bought the Pac Mat with holster from CrossBreed for the CC pocket. Ord’d the additional “hook” fabric piece to stick on the back of the PacMat, and it adhere’s to the “loop” fabric pieces already factory sewn into the pocket. It’s firmly in the bag, and will not pull the PacMat out when drawing from the holster.

Go with the small 6"x6" Pac Mat to fit in the pocket. The regular one is too tall (as I found out), and pushes against the zipper. I trimmed (using a fine-toothed jig saw) about 3/4" off the height of the Pac Mat panel (it’s kydex mat’l). Works fine now. I looked at the Maxpedition bag mentioned above, but going with the 5.11 Push Pack saved me $30 - $40.

NOTE: A full-sized pistol might be too large for the CC pocket, but works well for my sub-compact EZ9. The Pac Mat Holster with "hook"mat’l already affixed to the back of the holster was ord’d from CrossBreed also.

https://www.crossbreedholsters.com/modular-systems/pac-mat/mini-pac-mat-holster-only.html

3 Likes