Fake Delivery guy

15 Likes

:smiley:

2 Likes

I know when to expect any items I may have ordā€™d, plus driveway & porch cams (front & back) will chime an alert on my phone when movement is detected. However, our dogs will bark whenever they hear a vehicle door close, even if itā€™s in the neighborā€™s driveway. Also, whenever I answer a door, the outside glass storm doors (and actual front/back doors included) are always locked whenever weā€™re home.

3 Likes

I was a UPS delivery runner during a holiday season one year and I can say that they definitely rent box trucks and vans when they are busy. My first few weeks was in a uhaul truck but we were in uniform and put magnetic UPS signs on the doors. Canā€™t speak for FedEx, but UPS puts RFID tags in their uniforms tops and bottoms and will actually send a LEO/Sheriff to your house to collect them from you if you donā€™t turn them back in when youā€™re done. No joke they take that threat of impersonation very seriously, as this case shows this caution is justified. Think about all the automatic access a delivery person gets into buildings and private property. I walked into a bank and back to the inner offices and nobody ID me, due to my uniform alone.

Some defensive strategies:
Donā€™t make enemies willing to kill you, goes without sayingā€¦

Open carry your AR flamboyantly (just at home right?) and rockin your USCCA Hawaiian Shirt (board shorts and flip flops optional).

Use an intercom with video camera to speak to the driver. Itā€™s their job to speak to you if they absolutely must get a signature, then they must wait while you size them up. Ask them to show ID and their signature pad. Ask them for their managers name. Ask them for their truck number. Legit ones will know and offer this willingly.

Look for their truck, although this is not always reliable as they might be legit and driving a rental, or if itā€™s a big building then the runner (that was me) will be literally running to multiple deliveries in one section or hallway as the truck circles around to the next exit they expect you from. Itā€™s actually a pretty fun game to race the driver and it gets you running a good portion of your day!

You can also ask them to hold it for pick up if youā€™re not expecting it, or you may refuse it outright. Tell them you have Bubonic Ronapox and you need them to hold it, works Everytime for me :wink: seriously people should read moreā€¦

Suspicious signs;
Uniform is close but not exact. Or an is unknown courrier service; verify them. Make them wait and watch their body language.

They attempt social engineering to get you to open the door when youā€™ve asked them to hold it or leave it or refuse it, this should make you more suspicious. They will complain that itā€™s taking too long and they have other deliveries.

Send them away, if they keep trying to influence you, then call the cops. Unless you are a LEO, then confrontation is not likely worth the risk.

7 Likes

Jennifer14, just curious how does your house appear to Fed Ex or like USPS drivers?:wink::grin:

3 Likes

lol - Our house is an almost 200 year old farmhouse that was almost leveled. Weā€™ve been renovating it since 2013. Weā€™ve concentrated on the inside more than the outside. So it can look a little ominous. :slight_smile: I always call it my Texas Chainsaw House (doesnā€™t really look that bad though).

10 Likes

Thatā€™s a good ruse, case in point - I had an Amazon delivery via a Uhaul just the other day. Also my son is an Uber driver and occasionally he delivers pkgs in his own vehicle for Amazon for a few extra bucks. If you are a prime member everything does not necessarily come via FedEx/UPS. When you have kids that order gobs of stuff online like mine it can equate to ten or more deliverys a week. One thing that should be noted about the referenced article is its a good bet that the victim family was targeted. Iā€™m a simple man and try to live a normal life, I have been targeted due to my profession on occasion and increased vigilance till the threat passed and went back to life as normal. I donā€™t allow paranoia to get in the way of living my life but am always aware of of surroundings, alert and usually armed. Sure, Iā€™m aware of the perils in this world today but donā€™t believe that spending quality time worrying about every little thing that ā€œcouldā€ happen is contructive to a happy life. Thats just me YMMV.

4 Likes

Itā€™s a good question.

We have a hurricane glass (impact rated) storm door on our main entrance with a 3" dead bolt in a steel door frame with 5" screws. We keep it locked. We always go to the door for strangersā€¦including uniformed delivery people with a marked truck visible in front of the houseā€¦armed. Most drop and go, but sometimes you have to sign. If they ring the bell/knock and stand there, we open the door and talk to them through the glass. If it all seems kosher, then we open the door. Same routine for scheduled home services contractors unless we got a text/email with a photo that matches at first glance. Companies who are doing that are SMART, and we appreciate it.

5 Likes

Just had my new furnace checked out for itā€™s annual checkup before the winter season. The company I deal with calls and sets up an appointment, then 30 minutes prior to appointment they call to verify and then follow it up with a text about the furnace guy they are sending with his picture. Very much appreciated.

5 Likes

One year later, both my kids have moved out but still use our home address for deliveries since they know thereā€™s almost always someone to receive them.
I have a Ring doorbell camera and each time my phone alerts me of detecting a person, I approach the door with my EDC on the ready but not like what @Brian139 posted :grin:

2 Likes

This post here just saved my home alot of trouble! I had to tell my husband. Thank you everyone.

3 Likes

Very good point, OG. If you get regular deliveries via UPS, as I do, eventually they just scribble across their little computer thingies where my signature would go, and leave the package at the door. No contact.

Not to mention the dog, who can hear the UPS, FedEx, or Amazon truck Ā½ mile away and go ballistic. When they leave, the dog looks at me like she saved the day. I give her a treat.

4 Likes

I told this before but itā€™s a topical subject. We had a UPS driver pull up to our house in a U Haul. I looked her over on my outside cameras and went to stand behind my wife with my Glock 41 OC. When the lady turned around to wave at some onein the truck I swapped places with my wife and told the ā€œUPSā€ person they could leave the package in the driveway with my hand resting on my Glock.

Package was nothing but packing peanuts.

My best advice. Even when you are home have your handgun on you and a long gun in reaching distance. I live by that. No children at home.

5 Likes