Fake Delivery guy

Hello everyone,

After the sad recent news regarding judge Esther Salas recently, I wonder how would we normally react to a home invader or attacker that poses as a delivery guy (not necessarily UPS) Of course if you are not expecting a delivery you should feel there’s something weird, but nowadays most of us are using online/remote shopping services, so chances are you may be expecting at least a delivery. That means the cover-up is plausible.

My question is: Do we have a less risky way of handling a delivery person? Maybe there isn’t, but since most of you guys have been in this for far longer than me I’d like to have some more information.

Thank you very much in advance.

7 Likes

The news articles are a bit lacking on detail but the most prevalent observation I would make is “where is the guys delivery truck”?

Otherwise, prior to this encounter, I’d only have been in condition yellow upon his approach and answering the door myself.

An eye opener for sure.

6 Likes

Do either of you have an article you can site for someone who might have missed the situation? I don’t think it made too big of a news splash (I was offline last evening watching a movie with my granddaughter so I didn’t watch any of the news coverage.)

5 Likes
5 Likes

Most carriers (UPS, USPS, FEDEX) give you an option to be notified about delivery. You can have whole tracking history or, at least info that package is on the truck for delivery with estimated hour (it’s not precise, usually it’s a few hours window)
You can also sign up for UPS and FEDEX account and you will have “live tracking” option available.

I know the drivers, so whenever I see unknown face and I’m not aware of the package, I don’t open the door. They put door tag on the door and I pick the package at their location.

7 Likes

I understand the point Jose33 is making, and is definitely valid for most people. However, lets keep in mind in this situation who lives in the house. A federal Judge and her lawyer husband along with their son. So, random fedex’s of documents are most likely a normal occurrence. Most would be sensitive documents that would require a signature. So the situation of opening the door for a fedex requiring a signature is not an out of the ordinary occurrence.

But the point of this thread is very important. How do you approach that situation? First, are you expecting something? This is also like the occasional phishing email and text I get saying that my delivery is delayed pending some action from me. Yea right. Leave it on the step and walk away. This is the age of covid. Drop it on the step and social distance.

6 Likes

For FedEx, UPS and USPS, I always know what is coming and what day it will arrive. I agree that one key element is to identify the delivery truck.

My signature was only required a rare few times in the past ten years. Those occasions, it was a laptop coming from my employer.

5 Likes

This is difficult - I live in a 55+ community everyone orders here - Amazon - UPS - FED -X

sometimes they deliver to the wrong address / etc etc. etc.

This is a situation i would get caught with my pants down / No time to react - My heart goes to this family

Losing a son / possibly losing a husband - Sad -

On the other side bad for gun owners / great for Anti Gun Groups

4 Likes

The first thing I do is look through the window when the door bell rings. I will see who the delivery driver is and if I don’t know them I look for his delivery vehicle. When I am home I open carry in the house anyways. So I answer the door strapped.

5 Likes

My wife came and got me the other day, because someone in a U Haul got out in a UPS uniform said we had a delivery. I was standing behind the door and the delivery person turned to signal someone in the truck, (while they did that) I changed places with wife and my Glock 41 OC. The delivery person saw me with a gun and I told them they could leave on driveway. They both jumped back in U-Haul and left.

When I opened the package it was just packing peanuts.

My wife and I have a system set up where if someone comes to door she comes and get me.

9 Likes

Thank you very much!

I normally track packages but it’s good to know how to behave when something doesn’t look good. And it’s also good to know I’m not paranoid :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Funny how paranoid is confused with preventive measures, at times.

Sad to hear of such news. A learning experience for the rest of us. So tragic, though.

3 Likes

I usually see the same delivery person for the big companies (UPS, FED-EX), so a new (unknown) driver would stand out. If they couldn’t leave the package on the porch for me to retrieve after they leave I would ask for a tracking number. You can check the tracking number on your phone and see if it exists or you recognize the package sender.

3 Likes

I have signed up and approved the major delivery services to leave packages without requiring a signature. With the distance to my nearest neighbors, my distance to the road, and my relationship to my neighbors - any knock on my door is suspicious. Especially if I don’t know, or aren’t expecting, you.

Plus my system will probably tell me your coming before you announce yourself.

3 Likes

We don’t answer the door until we confirm from the cameras, these days we don’t have foot traffic so it’s very rare.

2 stories to compare how people react to a stranger in a delivery uniform.

I worked for UPS and can tell you that usually most people if they know you as the regular then it’s smiles and waives. If they don’t then it can be it’s no response or just leave it at the door.

In the 90’s I delivered a high value to Tiffany’s in Beverly Hills wearing a uniform but driving my personal car. An 88 IROCz it took some time and sorting out.

In 07 I was still in my uniform and had to run to the courthouse to file some divorce documents as I was representing myself it was all on me. Initially they were going to just push me through to the dock and bypassing security. Even after I confirmed I was on personal business they waived me through without going through the metal detectors, empting pockets, or even put to a wand.

3 Likes

We live out in the middle of nowhere so it’s easy to see the trucks and such come to our driveway. Plus we have cameras facing the front porch, the road and driveway. Alexa announces when there’s been motion on the cameras so we know exactly where someone is on the property. That gives us the opportunity to take a look before we even open the door. We get a lot of people who pull up to our house to let us know a cow is loose and those are usually in the wee hours of the morning. I never open the door but talk to them through the door. The funny part of all of this is I would be actually very weary of any delivery person knocking on our door. The reason is because our delivery people are actually afraid of our house and will set our packages either on the very edge of the porch or in the front yard (Fed Ex is good for that). We’ve actually had them leave them at the post office because they won’t come near our house.

4 Likes

Not a bad thing at all, Jennifer14.

I haven’t answered a door in an unarmed status for over 40 years.

6 Likes

I have two rules, no matter what kind of uniform is being worn.
Rule #1 NEVER OPEN the DOOR
Rule #2 NEVER OPEN the DOOR.

7 Likes

I can see the street from my office. If a delivery requires a signature, I can talk to the delivery person via my Ring doorbell.

4 Likes

I have a Ring doorbell camera.
I have a labrabull.
I also have a locked metal screen door so it impedes an intruder’s entry to my house.
I don’t let my wife or kids answer the door.
Lastly, I conceal-carry in my own home so I’m ready to defend myself from guys with evil intent when I answer the door.

5 Likes