Everyday carry

Hello fellow Air breather’s,

I’ve noticed recently now that I carry everyday my firearm picks up a fair amount of foreign material daily. So I clean it nightly.
Queation’s

1. what have y’all changed about your cleaning routine to combat buildup?
  2. what do ya’ll use for oil? I know this is a beer ending topic nor is there one absolute answer. I use Lucas gun oil. I use thier products in my vehicles and am extremely satisfied so I went with a known name but I am always open to try other good products.

Ty

6 Likes

Want less crapola in your EDC? Use less oil. Couple drops & done.

12 Likes

Yea I have lessoned the amount I use and really haven’t seen a big difference.
That’s the reason for asking opinions on oil. Mabey what I use is just to tacky for edc.
In general how many times a week do you clean your edc?

3 Likes

I think the consensus will be “less oil.” It’s winter therefore more layers equals more lint. Dryer air creates static. Try walking into a light sprits of static guard. Shake your clothes before dressing. Use a lint roller.

As for oil, I use Hop’s.

7 Likes

Clean mine once a week, also clean holster at the same time.

3 Likes

Do you carry open or concealed? I carry concealed and once a week check it and use a toothbrush and a lightly oiled rag on the outside. Unless I have shot it a lot, once a month deep clean. I like the Lucas products also. :+1:

6 Likes

Daily cleaning is virtually guaranteed to be totally unnecessary

Slip 2000 EWL or Lucas Extreme Duty Gun Oil

I’ve been carrying daily continuously for nearly 18 years. I routinely go into the months without cleaning carry gun. On occasion there is a puff of lint on the first shot at the range.

I definitely go against the consensus of “less oil” though. IMO, there’s really no such thing as too much oil provided it’s the right kind of oil applied in the correct places. I don’t have quotes on hand but some very well seasoned BTDT types have told me the same and printed it in books/training/etc.

Pocket lint and whatever other whatever shouldn’t pose an issue to your concealed carry gun.

The only thing I do much of is now that I run red dots, I repurpose my little one use cleaning towelettes for sunglasses, phone screens, camera lenses, watch, and also the RDS window because it’s a giant collection point for lint and deodorant flakes so every few days give or take I wipe it off.

6 Likes

The “extreme use” Lucas is what I use. The majority of what I find is lent type debris mainly around business end…
I’ve switched brand of undershirt I wear but still not a big change…

3 Likes

I am with @Nathan57 on the side with longer time between cleaning. I’ll wipe the outside down if I’ve been somewhere with a lot of dust/debris flying around, but otherwise, it’s fine. I use Break Free CLP lightly. I always have a lens cloth in my wallet for my glasses so if a rds gets dirty, there’s that.

6 Likes

The simple rule is - you clean EDC, whenever cleaning is needed. The question is why your EDC picks dirt up everyday… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
If the oil is not a problem, try different garment.
“Less oil” idea makes sense in such situation - oil always attracts dirt. If you carry polymer handgun, it doesn’t really need lot of lube.

If you won’t find the reason of EDC picking dirt up everyday… just keep cleaning it every night. :man_shrugging:

7 Likes

Yes it’s a poly G3C.
Just an off the wall question but I wonder if wearing IWB with a poly piece vou d create static and that Is helping in attracting the material?

4 Likes

I don’t think polymer handgun will create any static. It will come from your garment and will effect on everything around.

Which handgun’s spots are picking up those foreign materials?

2 Likes

Mostly at/around end of muzzle… Some lightly (very lightly) along slide joint to poly… And fair amount above backstarp.

2 Likes

interesting…
I didn’t catch… what is the holster? Kydex? Does it cover whole muzzle?

What I would try is:

1. wipe handgun and holster with wet cloth
    if this won’t help
  2. change your garment (perhaps your current gets easy to lose particles, like flannel shirt or jacket)
    if this also won’t help…
    :face_with_raised_eyebrow: :thinking: you will have to find a good predictioneer :grinning:
2 Likes

5 Likes

Richard Lee produces Lee dippers for measuring gunpowder while reloading. His advice for eliminating static on the plastic dippers is to wash in a mild solution of dish soap and water and let it dry without rinsing it off.

Maybe that might help as a holster treatment?

3 Likes

That’s s decent idea. After hearing you suggest it, it seems that I’ve heard that beforefoe some reason…

Hey Ty very much for taking your time to help!

2 Likes

RE: Oil, I try to frame it like this:

Most guns will work dry or dirty, but not both. If the gun is getting dirty, I’d rather it be wet even moreso than if it stays squeaky clean

2 Likes

I’m in the habit of wiping my firearm and Kydex holster every day after they come off. It helps eliminate dust particles from getting on your firearm. BTW I use my USCCA gun cleaning cloth.

2 Likes

I run a hellcat daily. I keep the oil light and only clean it about every 400 rounds which for me is about once a month. Not going to talk about oil brands everybody has their favorite. As long as it’s quality oil made for firearms I think you’re good to go. I carry in a custom leather holster. Just don’t have an issue with Lent but I do need to clean the optic from time to time. I try to use something with anti-flog on the optic.

3 Likes