To oil or not to oil, that is the question

While cleaning all my handgun magazines, they all felt extremely dry. Has anyone considered applying a microscopic film of oil on freshly cleaned magazines? I usually put them in the dishwasher for cleaning. Springs excluded.
I felt that a release would be quicker if slightly lubed. Opinions?

5 Likes

What does your manual say?

2 Likes

I would not recommend putting handgun magazines in the dishwasher

I would consult the manual.

I’d rather use an uncleaned magazine than one that went in the dishwasher. For cleaning I would simply disassemble and wipe with a rag/old shirt and maybe a teeny touch of a CLP (tiny, on the rag), unless the manual stipulates otherwise.

9 Likes

As a matter of fact step 2 the manual describes a slight bit of dry graphite or light oil to the “inside” no mention to the outside of the magazine.

6 Likes

I would do that, then, but, light.

My preference and experience for magazines and oil is that less is more. Dry graphite sounds like just the ticket.

As opposed to the firearms themselves where I think, when in doubt, use more

8 Likes

Could you elaborate more on the dishwasher.
My experience, it degreases and hits every nook and cranny! Afterwards slightly oiled/ CLP the inside, tiny amount on springs and what’s legit on the outside!

2 Likes

Dishwashers tend not to be easy on things, hence a lot of actual dishes not being “dishwasher safe”

Magazines shouldn’t need much cleaning, or need/want to be ‘squeaky clean’.

[handgun magazines generally don’t need much cleaning…mags for suppressed DI rifles or something may be a different story]

4 Likes

Much appreciated input, maybe I just got lazy!
I used to love cleaning everything by hand.
I mean there are sonic cleaner’s for my handgun, but it felt like going to far!

5 Likes

Like the Hot Tub. :grinning:

5 Likes

a light amount of CLP will still collect dust and grit causing problems. I am all for a light amount of graphite for good operation. I have dealt with this problem. There is nothing worse than being in a class and having to de-funk your magazines while everyone is trying to train. It was a good learning lesson, and it was at training and not at a self-defense situation.

4 Likes

I use a sonic cleaner with Simple green. It cleans really good and does not leave a coat of soap afterwards. Rinsing your gun in hot water and lubing it well afterwards is important step to take too!

4 Likes

No and no. If you feel you need to clean a magazine(s), then brush out any build up with solvent if need be and wipe clean with a dry patch/cloth.

My opinion is that any lubricant introduced will invite debris to be collected, metal or otherwise. Lubricant will not enhance a magazines performance. If a magazine is presenting problems then try another (dry) magazine.

6 Likes

For the most part quality mags are trouble free. However everything is subject to wear. You should clean a mag on a NEW handgun probably within at least the first 500 rounds. NEW extractors and ejectors along with other internals in many cases will actually remove brass from every round cycled until their edges are rounded and surfaces are burnished. I was alarmed to the amount of brass flakes in my first magazine cleaning. SOB runs like a champ though!

3 Likes

I have to be honest. i have NEVER heard of anyone cleaning mags in the dishwasher. I am assuming you are not married, because if i had done that, my wife would have probably used one of my guns ON me! I have a Sig P220, and it was purchased in the early 90’s and is still spot on. I use Hoppes #9 to clean it and then simply run a light coat of oil on it and it still performs as good as the day I purchased it. I will however admit, I cycle mags to allow the springs to relax some over time.

3 Likes

34+ years, their her mags as well!
Wilson Combat mags Aircraft Grade Certified Stainless Steel Tube Resists Corrosion. Only the tubes have gone in the washer.
Tubes are heat treated for maximum durability

4 Likes

Hey, who am i to judge, if it works it works. I just have never even thought of it.

6 Likes

I’ve made my query known to Wilson Combat direct.
Will give a heads up to all as soon as they reply.
The question to Wilson, was, is there a downside to washing #47D tubes in a dishwasher?

4 Likes

Do you hand was your dishes? :wink::rofl:

5 Likes

After being a mess cook for the first 90 days on a submarine, I haven’t cleaned a dish since!
I think that’s where I lost my fingerprints, and my sense of touch!!

5 Likes

Direct from Wilson Combat…

We Do Not Recommend using dishwasher for cleaning magazines, this could cause rusting, cracking etc.
We recommend a Carbon Cleaner and soft rag.

So there you have it folks.

6 Likes