Who strip cleans their Magazines?

I break down all my magazines and clean them not regularly, but I do it enough to know it gets pretty dirty. The follower is always filthy, and the Magazine body and base plate I find those need love. Spring needs a little wipe down.

I feel good knowing I do Maintenance - I have less chance of a malfunction. In my daily life

9 Likes

I donā€™t do it often. Honestly I donā€™t get to shoot enough these days to be concerned. Iā€™d like to do all my carry mags once a year.

6 Likes

More often when Iā€™m dropping the mags in the dirt at an outdoor range, or shooting really dirty ammo.
Less often when Iā€™m not.
When I hear-feel or see grit when Iā€™m loading them, I take that as a cue they need attention.

2 Likes

I pretty much donā€™t.

I have carry/HD/SD magazines that I use enough to prove their function, and then I stop actively using them (other than cycling carry ammo through carry gun on occasion). Contrary to myth, springs in quality magazines wear out primarily from use, from being cycled, not from sitting loaded. And of course using mags means getting ā€˜stuffā€™ in them and probably dropping them on the ground/concrete as well.

So I then have ā€˜range magsā€™ that get used and maybe abused. I donā€™t take them apart to clean them either unless I literally dropped them in mud or something like that.

3 Likes

I clean and oil mine several timeā€™s a year or when I know their dirty, Take nothing for granted. :us:

4 Likes

I disassemble my mags maybe once every 5 years if even so. They donā€™t get any abuse though. I do use a compressed air canister when I can to make sure they donā€™t accumulate grit/lint.

3 Likes

It really depends. I donā€™t do it often, but certainly, I advise my students after an outdoor defensive pistol class, itā€™s a really good idea. The magazines get much dirtier from outdoor shooting activities, such as dropping them in the dirt for emergency reloads, than from being gentle on a static indoor range. It wouldnā€™t be a bad idea to occasionally clean your carry magazine since lint and dust have a tendency to find all the small cracks.

3 Likes

Occasionally, just to make sure that they are fully functional.

2 Likes

Never, and no issues so far. I just wipe them down on the outside after Iā€™m done with them.

1 Like

Mostlyā€¦ it depends.
I always clean the follower and outside body.
Detail cleaningā€¦ I would say every other month.
I shoot a lot and never found single problem with magazine that didnā€™t get detail cleaning for 2 monthsā€¦ but it may depend on the manufacturer.

1 Like

Sounds like a good idea but Iā€™m not sure Iā€™d know how to take any of my magazines apart, short of brute forceā€¦

1 Like

Once in awhile, when I feel like major ā€œspringā€ cleaning ā€” probably not more often than annually. Never have found any surprises.

Wipe grime off top of followers after use, and shake loose dirt out after theyā€™ve been on the ground. I find soil particles will get between the follower and the magazine body pretty often. Before refilling, I will push the follower around with my finger and shake until thereā€™s nothing rattling around inside ā€” donā€™t get accumulations.

I use EDC magazines only when swapping out old ammo, to verify function. Practice is all with separate magazines, which seem to be functioning indefinitely. I donā€™t find pocket lint or such accumulating inside a magazine which is full of cartridges and inside a gun all the time.

1 Like

There are instructions elsewhere on the web, depending on if your mags have detachable floor plates or not.

With fixed floor plates press the follower down and insert a small screwdriver or brazing rod through the witness holes to release pressure on the follower.
The follower should come out followed by the spring.
Reverse the process to reassemble.

4 Likes

Thank You! Iā€™ll give it a try this afternoonā€¦

2 Likes

Any and all magazines I have, new or old, are thoroughly cleaned, very lightly lubricated with a non-oily, non-dirt attracting protectant, function checked, and are then kept clean so I know they are ready to go at a moments notice. I can appreciate the training aspect of dropping the magazine to the ground for a fast reload however I cannot bring myself to do it for several reasons. Plus, itā€™s more work to disassemble and re-clean them. Should the time come that I have to drop my magazine to the ground to re-load I will and have no problem doing so because the last thing I will be worrying about at that point is getting my magazine dirty.

4 Likes

I should add that I donā€™t make a habit of regularly taking apart my magazines on a schedule, but only when they actually need it. Weā€™re dealing with stamped sheet metal and a spring, which are possible to inadvertantly damage.

1 Like

If you own a Glock, this is pretty cool:

My Kimber mags were simple to take a part and clean. One screw and all of the parts come out pretty easy.

They were all dusty but not disgustingly so. I wiped them out, one drop of Lucas on the spring and done.

2 Likes

I take apart my mags when I drop them on dirt.

Otherwise, all I do is a wipedown of the outside, follower, and feed lips then blow some compressed air through them.

3 Likes

Excellent advice. Same here.

Happy ā€œCake Dayā€ @PDA3

2 Likes