What should be used to clean out mags?

I watched this Brownells video today.

I have never lubed a mag. I usually just wiped them out with a dry patch and call it a day. I have used note cleaner in the past, but I haven’t done that in a long while.

I’ve heard others say they use CLP but they wipe out as much as possible and what’s left is theirs to prevent corrosion.

3 Likes

I do occasionally use a dry lube after cleaning, which I do not do frequently, as it is not needed. I do wipe down the outside of the mags on my EDC, and occasionally, the top of the follower, after range time. Any residue on the mag will get on my hands, then more likely onto my clothes. So, I just give the outside of the mags a quick wipe before reloading my EDC ammo.

3 Likes

After disassembly I clean the mag, spring and follower with a good commercial low residue cleaner. After wiping them dry and leaving them to “air out” for 30-60 minutes I wipe the mag thoroughly (inside and out) with a silicon impregnated cloth. For the spring, I put a few drops of gun oil on a soft cloth (typically a retired wash cloth) and run the length of the spring between my fingers, passing it through the oil. Lastly, I use the oiled spot on the rag along the sides and both ends of the follower. Then reassemble and store in a dust and lint free environment until ready to load.

2 Likes

I clean and lube my mags with whatever I’m using to clean firearm at the moment. The most important is to wipe them out and run dry.

6 Likes

I must be doing it wrong! I use carb cleaner.

3 Likes

We caught so much hell for using carb cleaner in the military. :rofl: :man_facepalming:

2 Likes

It’s not rocket science, any cleaner or light oil you have in front of you is fine and a cotton cloth with a toothbrush.
Dry Lube was developed for desert, dirt and dust conditions. (Unless of course you live in the desert). I am sure Brownells and OTIS would love to sell you some. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Being an Engineer Mechanic, it just goes to say that I adapted and overcame. Just had to talk to an Armorer how to cover the fact we used carb cleaner. He said to wipe it down well with paper towel to remove the dry residue from parts. Brothers looking out for each other!

2 Likes

@Todd30 >> watch out for automotive cleaners, some of them are harmful to plastic end caps that some magazines have. For a spray cleaner i use mass intake air sensor cleaner, it evaporates and is harmless to plastic. Get it at a car parts store it’s expensive but it’s not harmful to plastic.

1 Like

Good info, I was used to military mags (all metal)

1 Like

Depends on what what kind of dirt is collecting in your magazines, don’t it? :thinking:

1 Like