Washed my magazine. In the washing machine

So, I pulled a dumba** and washed my spare magazine. Yeh, like in the washing machine. And dryer. Nice and clean!
I will unload the magazine and replace the ammo (its my defense ammo), but wondering if the current ammo will shoot.
I have gotten so comfortable/used to carrying my CCW I just didnt think to remove the spare magazine. In “self defense” I was wearing cargo pants and the magazine fit nicely in one of the pocket divisions so it was in my pocket rather than on my belt.
Ughh… live and learn.

11 Likes

Interesting experience…

Washed mag shouldn’t be an issue. Try the ammo at the Range and let us know the result.
I’m expecting no problems at all.

We are learning all the time… :+1:

10 Likes

I would think unloading and inspecting the magazine and ammo for any obvious signs of damage should be sufficient enough. But if in doubt the safe route is the best choice.

5 Likes

12 Likes

Any dampness in the cartridge may result in a dud as pictured above, I know SD rounds are expensive, however, at this point in time I would embrace the suck from your wallet and just replace the ammo for “peace” of mind.

9 Likes

I will play it safe. I have plenty of replacement ammo that has not been exposed to any compromise. Even though it is a backup magazine, I want to have 100% confidence in it.

I will shoot the ammo in that mag and report back with any interesting results. POURING rain here the next few days, be a week or more before I shoot it.

11 Likes

That sounds like a great opportunity to learn about the ammo you carry

8 Likes

If you reload you could salvage parts and replace primer and powder.

7 Likes

Yes, I will indeed do that. I will disassemble by shooting I suspect. I am curious to see if it affected the round in any way. I will be sure to be sure the barrel is clear in between shots. Years ago… say 40(?) I had some .44 mag rounds on a workbench in Idaho where I spent summers. Over the winter so oil had dripped down onto the box of ammo, maybe 10 rounds in the box. Was hilarious at the range… got ready for a huge bang and instead got a funny sounding “POP” and watched the round lob out of the barrel and land about 15 feet down range. Was hilarious. Got rid of that ammo!

8 Likes

back in my solo spearfishing days I carried either a .223 or .357 powerhead on dives. My practice was to ‘paint’ the seam and the primer with fingernail polish. I always shot those rounds when cold weather came each year and they never failed. I often wondered if the polish made any difference other than making me feel better. I’ll be watching this post to see how it turns out.

4 Likes

Water is not so bad for ammo as oil. I won’t be surprised if you shoot the washed rounds without any problems :wink:

4 Likes

I wouldn’t argue with that, and once through the prewash cycle I wouldn’t bet my life on it (unless maybe it was the only remining ammo in the house and there was no other choice)

As an intresting (perhaps) side note I can say for fact that 209 primers will take multiple exposures to rain and freeze thaw cycles for semi-extended periods of time and still perform as Intended in a perimeter alarm.

Powder? I think your supposed to keep that dry for a reason.

6 Likes

Everybody is making me curious now. If it wasnt so late at night I would go shoot it out my back door right now just to find out the answer. If the neighbors heard 10 rounds going off at 11 PM they might think I was in trouble. Maybe tomorrow afternoon after church.

4 Likes

I agree with the others. Inspect the magazine and oil metal parts. The ammo is now test ammo. Listen for squibs, just in case!

6 Likes

Also agree with the above I’m sure you can clean and salvage the magazine without a problem. Replace the ammo when possible and get rid of the old wet ammo.

3 Likes

I am not too concerned about damage to the magazine… it remained in its holder and never came out, so it didnt get much bumping around in the washer. Besides being in a holder the holder must have spent some time protected in the pants pocket before it started bumping around in the washer. I mis-spoke when I said I put it through the dryer… It was in the bottom of the washer after I removed the cloths so I removed it there. The mag was still in its kydex holder though. Seemed pretty dry, no water spilled out. Nice and shiney!
Not sure the effect of soap on the primer seals. I too have used nail polish to seal primers for wet conditions and had no issues. I would assume these were also factory sealed… 124 grn Speer Gold Dot HP Defense ammo.
Not sure what effect laundry soap has on primer sealant. No way would I consider trusting these rounds for self defense, practice only at this point. Will take the magazine apart, clean and give the magazine a good oiling (I use the Mil-Comm products).
I too used to SCUBA Dive and had forgotten about cartridge launched spears. My spear always used bands. I wonder what and how they prepare a cartridge for underwater use. I just dont know, but will surely be doing a search to find out.
I was hoping the GF would be away today to exercise but between covid and our current torrential rain she is staying home. I prefer shooting when she is away (she was shot twice several years ago by a couple of idiots, irresponsible people target shooting across the public road she was walking on). I try not to shoot when she is home so as not to bring back old memories (I will say I HAVE gently been shooting starting with .22LR and working my way up to larger caliber rounds and longer sessions and giving her lots of warning that I will be shooting and where and not to be concerned). So far she has been good, but always have that in the back of my mind.
In any case, will try to pop off those rounds sometime today and will report back.
John

3 Likes

The type of powerhead I referred to is a simple chamber that holds the round and replaces the spear point. It fires on impact with the target. I used a 3-band speargun and just carried the power head in my BC pocket. It was there in case the bull sharks decide taking my fish stringer wasn’t filling enough and wanted a bite of me. I only once replaced my spear point with the powerhead on a dive. I did not have to use it as the bull decided to let me leave in peace.

2 Likes

I have seen those. When I used to dive off the oil rigs in the Gulf of Mexico we carried a separate “spear” from our spear gun that used a CO2 cartridge to “inflate” any sharks that became too curious. Never had to use it. Dont know if it is a myth or not, but was told the sharks would not go under the oil platforms.

So I shot off the washed rounds into the hillside in my back yard. All went bang. Still pouring rain so didnt set up any target to see how accurate they still were. But they all threw up a lump of mud close to where I was aiming about 20 feet away.
Good lesson, but ANYTIME I feel a round is compromised, or any part of my carry gun or holster, belt, rig if you will I will err on the side of replacing and re-testing to be sure the new piece of equipment functions as expected. To me, just common sense and not worth the risk or worry of wondering about a tool your life could depend on. So, mystery solved. I have replaced the rounds witth fresh new ones.
John

8 Likes

The good news is that you won’t be making that mistake again. Wisdom acquired.

I believe I shall be learning from your case as well

4 Likes

I would change it to be safe if you can find the ammo. But if it had a sealed primer I’m sure it’s fine. The military uses ammo that’s been under water. But they use sealed primers too. Shoot it at the range to test it, or outdoors somewhere you can legally shoot it at a pumpkin or something.

2 Likes