Washed my magazine. In the washing machine

7.62 x 54R :grinning:

2 Likes

Did you at least wash in Woolite?
If not, your 9mm might have shrunk to 6.35mm :roll_eyes:

8 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

I was going to ask a similar thing. Having been the pioneer in this type of gun maintenance and cleaning, I wondered if you have any recommendations as to what detergent to use - Iā€™m allergic to tide, so I hope you have other options. ( woolite sounds good for ā€œgun cottonā€ rounds, but modern powders ?)

Yours facetiously

DS

3 Likes

I think you will be OK but Iā€™d test fire one round at a time.

Good luck!

2 Likes

I have to reply here with a dumb remarkā€¦if my wife caught me washing anything in her washer or dishwasher, and a little background, i turned 65, she would drive me to the nearest dementia hotel! Funny how I get older, and come up with really wise ideas, that seem more unacceptable. Strange.

3 Likes

Iā€™m in better position than you, @SKIdaho - Iā€™m doing laundry in my Family, so whatever happens there, stays thereā€¦ :slightly_smiling_face:
Iā€™m safe from demential hotel for nowā€¦and hopefully few more years :laughing:

2 Likes

This is an interesting questionā€¦ milspec rifle ammo (I am specifically thinking of 5.56) is sealed.

But is pistol ammo typically sealed? Range ammo surely not, but what about defensive ammo or I see a lot of 9mm marked as NATO (which i assume is milspec?)

2 Likes

Branded ammo is sealed (at least Fiocchi, S&B -both tested and shot after been exposed to the water) :wink:

2 Likes

Great opportunity: after you test your washed ammo, if it fires, you can report back to the ammo manufacture (Speer, Federal) and inform them. They will use your info and advertise ā€œOur Ammo is so good, you can run it thru the washing machine and it still fires ! See what our customer did (being you ) ā€œ
Youā€™re rich :wink::wink::wink:

1 Like

Inspect the feed lips for any damage. Things get banged around pretty good in a dryer! Let us know how the ā€œwashedā€ ammo works when you fire it at the range!

1 Like

well, next time you go to the range, you know youā€™ll have a ā€œcleanā€ shot ! Merry Christmas to you !!!

2 Likes

Simple solution just use the washed ammo for training. Thereā€™s no life or death situation at the range and if it doesnā€™t want run in your gun itā€™s no big deal just toss it.

1 Like

You donā€™t mention the type of magazine; however, SEALs and other SpecOps people carry, Glocks in particular, semi-auto handguns to reach out and touch someone. The weapons spend a great deal of time submerged.
The magazine should be powder coated and detail parts should be coated to resist oxidation. Factory ammo will be good for one atmosphere submersion. I canā€™t vouch for ā€œreloads.ā€

1 Like

My one experience with ammo that had previously gotten wet (S&B 9mm) resulted in a squib and a bulged barrel. Iā€™d write off the washed rounds.

1 Like

About a year ago my CZ 75 Compact fell into the toilet out of my shoulder holster. Fortunately it was after a flush. The gun was completely immersed for a couple of seconds until I pulled it out. I dried off the 9mm Hornady Critical Defense rounds and replaced them with fresh rounds . Of course, I took the gun apart and dried it with a towel and a hair dryer. I threw the rounds that had been submerged into a bag and kept them separate from all other ammo. Went to the outdoor range last week and every round fired in 28 degree weather.

4 Likes

I would suggest after emptying the magazine that you take it apart and inspect for any accumulated lint, it may have become a lint trap.

1 Like

I wouldnā€™t chance it. If you do decide to fire the ammo and you get lucky the rounds donā€™t explode from the heat in the dryer or are ruined from the water/moisture from the washer. Even if the powder was a little damp and the ammo did fire it could have got stuck in the barrel which would be costly to replace or the barrel had major blowback which could send the slide back to rear and injure you very seriously. Cheaper to replace the ammo than to have a serious injury.

1 Like

If he finds any lint in the magazine that means he needs new dryerā€¦ :joy:

1 Like

From time to time Iā€™ve accidently run loose rounds through the washing machine and dryer. Iā€™ve ended up with very clean
but serviceable ammo. I wouldnā€™t want to depend upon it in a defense role. But, thus far none of my clean rounds have been duds.

2 Likes