Edc knife for self-defense

I never thought about using my knife which is a tool as a self defense weapon. I’d probably use a pen before using my blade. Folding knives I would not use for the purpose of self defense because in a pinch you might not open it all the way and you may cut your own hand trying to defend yourself. If I was going to carry one I would have something like a K-Bar which is more useful as a combat weapon.

5 Likes

I like my TDI. It basically let’s you hold it in a fist and you can just throw a jab with it. No special combat training needed.

2 Likes

This is my MINIMUM EDC. Typically add a flashlight + another spare mag & double the ammo if carrying a BUG. The light is a 511 with tail switch.
Knives r SOG A/O bc well, my dominant hand is a tad challenged:

Yes that’s my dominant and preferred shooting hand but I shoot as well left and train both hands.

Knives are tools ppl find useful. Sometimes they make good defensive tools.

I also do not carry an empty chamber or a dulll knife. Counterintuitive IMO

9 Likes

I’ve carried knives since my Dad took a small pocket knife away from me when I was visiting one summer at 8 years old. He handed it back to me when he was visiting his grandchildren on a visit. That blew my mind!
I live in a state where auto knives are legal for edc and I love quality products so Benchmade, Microtec and Pro-Tech are among my favorites. I also carry the Benchmade solid stainless self defense pen (in a skinny ballistic pouch to prevent stabbing my own leg) for a number of years just because I love it, though it’s heavy.
My edc Heavy needs blade is my Benchmade Sibert lever action for anything requiring strength and it’s much faster to deploy and retract than any of my switchblades.
My second edc is a extremly sharp Guardian Tactical 3 1/2" OTF tanto blade for finger nail cleaning and mail/package opening.
My edc firearm depends on my clothing, climate and flavor of the day. .380, .9mm, .45acp…
it just depends.
Stay safe everyone and God Bless America!

3 Likes

I still have the TDI. But it’s not as comfortable as a folder. I bought a kershaw folder and I find it a lot more comfortable to carry. I would not want to use it for self defense, but If I was desperate, I’d imagine it’d work. Works great to cut things… the TDI was funny cause I’d need a knife as a tool and I’d end up handing my Father In Law this curved fix blade to open presents for my 2 year old and when I’m working on a project and I only have one hand, the fix blade requires two hands to put away, so I’d have to set it down somewhere.

If I’m going somewhere kinda shady I’ll throw the TDI on, but that’s very rare.

1 Like

Doesn’t Kershaw get an honorable mention! Love Benchmade, but have a bit of a mental barrier on the price!

4 Likes

I’ve never owned a Kershaw knife. Gerber are the cheapest knives I ever carried for work knives but I quit carrying them years ago. My Benchmades average around approx. $250 ish but I’ve never broken one. I just used the butt of my heavy duty Benchmade lever action yesterday to knock a 1" wood plug back into one of my 6"x6" patio pergola’s legs in one blow. No problem!
If this knife wasn’t a solid beast, 51/4" folded, I never would have abused it like this. I wouldn’t treat any of my autos like this, even those with “glass breakers”.
Enjoy your knives and guns everyone!

1 Like

I’ve always carried some time of knife and/or multi-tool; there’s just no way to get through the day without it when your working. When I started studying more advanced self-defense techniques, I learned about integrating a weak-side knife to parry with as an option to use with a defensive draw. There’s several ways to do that but only if it makes sense and works with your EDC ‘system’. I always carry LEO grade pepper/mace/ultraviolet marker spray as an intermediate escalation of force measure. I don’t make any general recommendations that people ‘should’ do this, but I have found it works for me.

3 Likes

I carry a knife as part of my EDC, but if it has to be used as a weapon I’m in deep doo-doo and have done something terribly wrong. I use it as a tool, not a weapon. As ex-LEO, I always carry something that can cut a seatbelt and break a car window. I’ve used it before, and hope I never need it again…

5 Likes

Exactly. I’m get caught off guard when people talk about knives as weapons. I know they can be, obviously, but that just isn’t how I think of them. I’m probably going to get busted on some uptight knife ordinance, some day, because I don’t think of a knife in my pocket much differently than I would a screwdriver.

5 Likes

I have a switchblade in my nondominant hand side. If the offender is trying to get my gun, I’ll slice his grab arm with a cutting motion as deep as I can or another part of his body. No stabbing. You win with deep slicing and cause blood loss or tenant being severed.

6 Likes

I do, one is a utility knife and the Kershaw is my knife for self-defense if I have to. Would not be my first choice, I’d rather use my gun.

4 Likes

That is an awesome grip plate on your pistol.

2 Likes

Just like my 10mm,never leave home without it.

5 Likes

Nice blade brother @Trever1 :+1: :+1:

3 Likes

Winkler Contingency-- I am having a leather scout sheath made for it- should be in next week!!!

6 Likes

I have always had at the minimum a pocketnife with me since I was a kid.
At one time I thought it was cool to walk around with a Kbar type knockoff, but quickly realized probably not the best thing to do if you aren’t trained in using it so stopped. This was many years ago aftr seeing the original Rambo movie.

So I always have a multi-tool of some sort with a blade. So many times throughout the day it gets used for various things. And I always want a blade on it for cutting things in an emergency, such as seat belt, rope, etc

3 Likes

Manly?
I am manly because i am self reliant.

I carry a gun for defense.

The knife i carry is used at least every day, more than once.

That said, were i to run out of ammo and be physically attacked, the knife would come in handy. And yes, i am very well trained in hand to hand, thanks to that uncle of mine…

Future suggestion: if you are going to ask a question of strangers, dont insult them in the same sentence …

6 Likes

My grand mother carried a knife. A tiny pearl handled one.
It wasn’t masculine.
She also wore a poison ring (the top flipped open revealing a poisoned barb) when travelling.
Nobody messed with my grand mother.

6 Likes

When Women were WOMEN! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes