Dropping off kids at school on my way to (anywhere)?

I’m certain this has been asked and answered 100 times, so I apologize for being redundant. As I put my pants on this morning I remembered I had to drop some kids off at school, in the parking lot. First I tried to remember exactly how the law applies in this situation, then I decided I don’t know enough and left my EDC at home. Can anyone help to clarify this for me? I am not exiting the vehicle, but does it matter? If I can’t carry it on me in the car, can I store it in a safe in the car with the magazine elsewhere and still be within the law? I am in Wisconsin if that matters.

Thank you everyone!

3 Likes

It’s a state law issue. Check the laws site for your state on uscca.

2 Likes

I live in WI, The law states you can have it on you if you do not exit the vehicle. :+1:
If you exit the vehicle your firearm must remain locked in the vehicle in the parking lot.

2 Likes

Good call on leaving the EDC at home for school drop off in Wisconsin, @Derrick :

Shared with CloudApp

Wisconsin laws can be found here:
https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resources/ccw_reciprocity_map/wi-gun-laws/

5 Likes

@Derrick If you want to clarify the wording of the law call your local Sheriff or City Police Chief, that is what I did. We have a different Sheriff now but I don’t think the definition has changed.
It also matters if you are dropping off on a public street and not a school parking lot.

2 Likes

I’m in WI as well. You cannot possess on school property including school administration buildings, maintenance facilities and any other property controlled by a school. There’s an exception with accessing hunting grounds. Legislation to exempt CCW permit holders during activities such a parent pick up and drop off while remaining in a vehicle was killed with the changing of the guard between Walker and Evers.

3 Likes

Now that’s disappointing. Thank you for the information.

1 Like

Do the Wi statutes allow the gun to be in a lock box, with the gun not loaded, but with a loaded magazine in the same lock box? It is not clear to me. See 948.605.2.3. Maybe I’m stretching things a bit here. :wink:

2 Likes

Hi Kevin1776. It weighed on my mind too, wondering if I was conducting myself within my own states legal parameters; So I appreciate these questions, and plan to read up on the laws in IL, where I usually am in. In particular, when on rare occasion, I might have to leave my vehicle but need to lock my firearm in the safe (in the vehicle).

On a funny note, what actually caught my attention to you though at first was the logo which you used. Not many know what is stands for, so I was just wondering what your thoughts were on Baretta’s? In particular, if you just happened to know by chance anything about the APX Centurion, which I’m interested in. Thank you.

1 Like

Thanks again Kevin1776. So many to choose from. I ordered an APX Centurion 9mm. Would be my first semi-auto, as my very first was a revolver - Fall of 2019. If I need to go smaller for even easier conceal, I was hoping to find a .380 but in 10 rnd capacity if there are any. Very best to you and yours kind Sir.

1 Like

Within a thousand feet if school unless private dwelling/land. Asked the sheriff here, no way no how.it’s a felony.

2 Likes

Well, I might suggest there are other exceptions.

Public roads, while in your vehicle, driving past, or even sitting stuck in traffic, which might be within 500 feet, walking by on a public sidewalk,

If they decide you can not drive past or through a school zone, there should be a serious statement made to the Governor’s office… ‘peacefully’

1 Like

Yes always exceptions. Buzzing the school in your helicopter or jet pack & so on. Try not to be sillier the me. Lol

1 Like

While I am perhaps facetious at times… a lot of times, I was serious on this.

The statement of 1,000 feet of a school except for a private home or property did seem to limit it.

I would not put it past some leftist politician to try to make traveling on a public road or sidewalk with a firearm illegal, but so far, I am unsure if that has happened in any state.

Now, do you have a jetpack? Which model and what kind of mileage do you get? :grin:

1 Like

Well I can throw a rock and hit the school from where I sit. I guess I’m illegal 100 percent of the time… oh well. I will carry on.

1 Like

You are correct not to put it past anti-gun politicians. In Massachusetts we have

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartIV/TitleI/Chapter269/Section12D

This broadly prohibits carrying long guns on a public way if they are loaded. You can carry them unloaded if they are in a case. Doesn’t apply to cops on duty or hunters crossing the road, but generally speaking, you cannot open carry a long gun on a public way, loaded or not.

1 Like