Concealed carry while driving to school

I just my CCW permit. I want to carry when driving to school. I know I can’t carry my firearm on the campus, however I can keep it in my car. My car doesn’t have a lock on the glove box. I do have a pelican gun case, and I have locks for it. Could I store the weapon in the box, and lock it, or would it be safer to just keep the firearm at home?

Thank you

4 Likes

Welcome to the forum, we are happy to have you! As far as having it in a locked box, you can, but I would make sure it’s in the trunk or somewhere out of sight.

6 Likes

My concern when leaving my gun in the car or truck is so it doesn’t get stolen and be in the hands of a criminal or someone irresponsible. The harder you make it for that to happen the better I will feel. Welcome to the forum.

6 Likes

That is a concern as well, however not going to jail over some BS laws isn’t a good thing.

4 Likes

That is always the question when storing your firearm somewhere, whether home or abroad - how safe is it? The best we can do is minimize the chance. Cars can and do get broken into and stolen. You might want to find out how often that happens at your school. That should help in your decision process.

If you decide to lock it in the vehicle, get a safe with a thicker cable or can be bolted to the frame. Another idea is to break it down, if legal take the slide and/or barrel with you or store in a different part of the vehicle. I suspect a thief would be less likely to steal a firearm missing the slide and/or barrel.

8 Likes

Slides and barrels are only parts👍 probably could just toss that in your backpack. Good thought on disassembly @Dave17

4 Likes

If you insist on taking your firearm in your car when driving to school, be certain to unholster it and lock it up far, far away from campus. You will have a very bad day if a Karen spots you in the school parking lot pulling out a firearm and locking it up.

4 Likes

Congrats on the new permit!
While the Pelican case is pretty good, you really should have a locking case with steel cable attaching it to a secure point in the car. Most gun shops carry a variety of such cases, and I have bought a reasonably good one from Harbor Freight, as well.
Decide the type of lock you prefer: key, physical code (spinner numbers) , digital code, or fingerprint. Select a place in the car where the case is completely out of sight and the cable is looped around the most secure point possible. If in the passenger area. the front seat support column is probably optimum.
Also, think about the process of disarming/ storing and rearming yourself in the parking lot. You need to do the entire process while no one is watching. Further, if you can find a cabled locking case that can hold your entire holster and holstered pistol together, it is much safer to simply unclip the holster from your belt, and place the holstered pistol in the storage case. That way you are never handling the unholstered gun with exposed trigger in public.

5 Likes

When I worked at the mines we were not allowed to bring guns on the property. I would lock my gun in my truck in a cable lock box. I would then take a shuttle to the mine. Sometimes I would forget to take my gun off and arrive at the mines with no place to put it. They usually had a safe I could put it in because they say a lot of people forget to take theirs off. I kinda doubt it but wonder if the school has that same option.

5 Likes

I’ve considered that. I carried when I went to school last week and took the gun off and put in the case at a rest stop. I want to find a place closer to school. I need to find a solution to where I can secure the box to a part of the vehicle. I am also concerned about running into a purple haired harridan (Karen,) or a campus cop at the school.

3 Likes

You’re welcomed. I’ve considered all of those things. I think I’ll forgo carrying while driving to school until I can find a way to secure the lock box to the vehicle and find a place where I can disarm without triggering the Karen’s or arousing suspicion with the campus or local police. The solution will eventually present itself to me. Thanks for the tips

6 Likes

During my times in College (once after military service, the other after I had a catastrophic back injury). The College had there own police force. Granted to the by law.

I would advise you to never take it into the school. I was told it was ok to leave in car, but not to carry on school grounds. I can not tell you how many times that the school was put in lockdown because someone was seen carrying.

2 Likes

@Grizzly907
Welcome to the family brother. I would say a locked box with a cable attached to your seat. That would probably be the best way IMHO. Carry on and stay safe.

3 Likes

I have one in every car locked to the seat frame the HF ones are pretty good. I need to lock my carry gun up whenever I go to a VA hospital

2 Likes

I would never carry on a college campus. Granted the laws are complete BS, but those are the rules. The rates of violence would go down greatly if CCW holders were allowed to carry on campus, but lefties are morons.

2 Likes

I feel your pain there. I get my healthcare through the VA. Going to the VA for me is like traveling to a foreign country. I was transported to the VA for a bad case of vertigo, this past spring. The VA cop gave me an attitude because I had a neck which I do carry with my when I am at school.

3 Likes