Drinking while camping and carrying

Camping to me is if the motel doesn’t have a pool. My years of ‘skeeters’ are over!

4 Likes

Todd,
Thanks for the chart even though there are factors that could make the results go add or minus a drink depending on stomach content, when the drinks were consumed. I myself being 5’ 10’’ 270 LBS. would take me about a 6 pack or more before I’m legally intoxicated. I always carry my EDC and I hardly ever drink more than 4 drinks a day. Everything done in moderation is the way to live life. To all those legally carrying Don’t! if you plan on tying one on. Leave the gun at home in the safe, or you may sober up and regret it at the least or find yourself behind bars or dead at the worst. Carrying a gun is a BIG responsibility. Do it sober or leave it behind.

5 Likes

I have read in the past where people that were under the influence legally defended themselves in their homes. One cannot know when the need to defend oneself will occur. As long as the defense is justified, the mental state, capacity, etc., is not relevant. Similar questions have been raised about when one is properly taking prescribed medication and as a result is mentally impaired. Many people are slow to awaken - similar issues. The same answer is true, if the defense is justified, your state of sobriety, consciousness is not an issue.

The major issue with all of this is that we all recognize that level of alertness/wakefulness, drugs, etc., all can decrease one’s cognitive abilities to make good judgment. But to say that one cannot legally be allowed defend oneself due to any of this is clearly wrong.

Many have brought up shooting a person at a campsite, what if it were a bear or mountain lion, would you still believe self-defense is legally wrong if one is mentally-impaired? Does the law carry so much weight that one must lay down one’s life or one’s family’s lives just because he/she were not fully alert, sober, etc.?

4 Likes

I tend to follow what Mike has said. My thinking is what is the logical and prudent thing for me do. If I’m camping somewhere that I really feel the need to being carrying then I’m not having even 1 beer. Most of my camping is done at hunt camps and when the day is over the guns are put away and it is normal to have few drinks around supper and after. I don’t camp with anyone prone to getting drunk. For me, like any decision involving firearms, I think it through, weigh the risk/options, and follow my instincts.

4 Likes

Anything that impairs our ability to defend ourselves and our loved ones is not something we want to use/do while we are carrying.

Does that mean you can never have an adult beverage again? No.

Make sure to check your local carry/handgun laws and the laws of where you are traveling to.

A couple of other things to find out when you’re going camping, is your campsite or tent considered your domicile for the purposes of Castle Doctrine or Stand Your Ground in the state where you are camping? What are that state’s alcohol and firearm laws?

And as always, self-defense with a lethal weapon is our last resort. Be aware of what’s going on around you and have a plan to avoid or escape if at all possible.

8 Likes

Great post. Appreciate it. At one of the free legal seminars last year by the USCCA, the presenter shared a real case example where the defender was not initially charged after a perpetrator died as a result of his gunshot wounds; However in civil court, the family/survivors of the deceased were awarded a significant amount of funds- covered by the USCCA insurance. Sad in a several aspects. I didn’t realize just how complex it can get.

4 Likes

Sir, I wholeheartedly agree. Just trying to figure out the best legally defensible solution. I personally don’t drink, so this isn’t an issue I face, but would like to have a good answer for friends who might ask this sort of “what if” question.

5 Likes

Anyone taste this one yet? I might wanna order one.

https://2abourbon.com

2 Likes

Should be the fifth basic rule.If you drink lock up your guns.

3 Likes

Not a good night to carry!

3 Likes

had a relative… would happen when he drank… sleep from one beer…

was later discovered he was diabetic…???

maybe you need some testing done???

2 Likes

I have a yearly checkup and to this day even after smoking since the age of 9, they say I am as healthy as a wolf. Lol

4 Likes

Happy birthday!

3 Likes

Happy Birthday @Trever1 :gun::gun:

2 Likes

Happy Birthday good sir!

3 Likes

not yet, however I’m looking

Me personally, I would never have a single drink if I had a firearm on me, and I like my beer or other drink. the risk is too high. If i was camping in a tent and my firearm was locked in my truck I would, but I would never have it on me. I was recently dating a woman and me and her kids were cleaning guns and I didn’t have a sip, despite most other times us sitting by a fire and having a few. Just my belief.

2 Likes