Drinking while camping and carrying

Of course everyone enjoys a cold one camping…how does this affect your carrying?

3 Likes

I do not drink or smoke anyone’s lawn, so it is not an issue for me. HOWEVER, that being said, I do not think a cold beer or two would be a problem or make one problematic for most people.

7 Likes

I am not a lawyer but, I played a judge on T.V. once! So, An individual shall not carry a concealed pistol or portable device that uses electro-muscular disruption (EMD) technology while under the influence of alcoholic liquor or a controlled substance or while having a bodily alcohol content of .02 BAC or above.

5 Likes

That may be what a beer or less?

3 Likes

6 Likes

Sorry to be the wet blanket, but I choose one: alcohol or carry. Never both. Alcohol and firearms never mix.

14 Likes

I would call that Responsibility.

5 Likes

This is the ONLY option while carrying the firearm:

Remaining part of the table DOES NOT apply.

8 Likes

By this and my weight (144 lbs - 5’9"), it’s good I don’t drink and carry. 1 beer I would be done, plus 1 beer would put me to sleep.

3 Likes

I drink more Nyquil than that at night !!

3 Likes

I think this question needs clarification. State law may be determinative of whether you possess alcohol and a firearm at the same time. Kentucky has no such law. However, alcohol intoxication and in possession of a firearm can lead to wanton endangerment charges if an issue arises with the firearm. Having a firearm and being in possession of any non-prescribed controlled substance is a felony in Kentucky.

I am in full agreement that you should not carry while impaired. I don’t know that would prohibit having a weapon on a camping trip and having any alcoholic beverages while the firearm is secured and not on your persons or remaining within your personal limits so you are not impaired. Again, state law may play a part in this equation.

9 Likes

This brings to mind a whole new thought. Though I do not drink and carry, it makes me think of LEO’S. Some of them do often and I do not think this is fair nor right. JUST SAYING

4 Likes

Common sense and responsibility - these should be the Law in this matter.
Whoever has functioning brain knows that even .02 BAC may affect clear thinking and never drinks while carrying (nor vice versa)

5 Likes

In what state?

Oxygen also affects one’s ability to think, as does just about anything; idiotic posts, MSM news, etc.

Yes, they are “allowed” by law, including judges, DAs, and other officials, to CC and imbibe alcohol. And none of them are even required to have a CC permit/license to CC. That is the problem with having elitists in an egalitarian, classless society, they believe they are above the law - and are.

4 Likes

Take the bullets out then throw them in the campfire… whoever moves first does dishes.

8 Likes

While some states prohibit drinking and carrying, others use the term, “Reasonable.” That’s the best way, because everybody reacts differently.

6 Likes

By Texas law, being intoxicated legally means having an alcohol concentration in the blood of 0.08 percent or more. This standard is also the law in most states throughout the nation

4 beers and I’m good. But I never drink more than a tall and a short. And then if I’m carrying I limit it to one or two short. A short is 14 oz

4 Likes

AZ law seems a bit unclear to me. I have read that you can carry into an establishment that serves alcohol as long as it is not posted but you cannot consume alcohol while there. To further confuse that, one law confirms the above and another says you need a permit to do the above.

Either way I’m not sure if that means you can’t have a drink while carrying at camp or in your home. Would love some clarification on that if anyone has the links to applicable laws.

Having a beer or glass of wine with diner is about my limit and I don’t carry when drinking because of the legal ambiguity. But I don’t see an issue with having a drink (or maybe two depending on your weight and tolerance) while carrying. You are far more likely to have an accident driving your car around than with a holstered weapon. Think using the same blood alcohol limits as driving would be a good cut off.

1 Like

Appreciate the post for education sake as well. Simple answer, I liken it to driving a vehicle; All about the safety.

I don’t want to drink if I’m going to be in a high risk environment. If I’m going to be in a high risk environment, I need to be alert, on my P’s and Q’s per se. If I’m in a very safe environment, and breaking out a relaxing alcoholic beverage, then the “arms” get put away. Staying safe, and legal.

I wouldn’t want to risk police or the justice system taking my legal firearm rights away. Not worth it. Camping is so relaxing, after a while, I don’t even think about a glass of wine or beer. At the same time, when camping, I like having my “arm” on me.

2 Likes

If someone told you anything in life is fair, they lied. I like hootch. If I drink ( my preferred method of consuming liquids) I don’t drive, don’t carry in bars when drinking if home or visiting family it’s yea or nay. However, that said I am not a victim just because I indulge.

2 Likes