Drinking while camping and carrying

That is not the point.

Agreed. Neither should it be a law. The issue should be, if you commit a crime, being drunk, stupid, high, insane, whatever, does not matter, the act is what matters. We euthanize dogs for biting people, regardless of whether or not the dog is rabid. Punishments are supposed to “fit the crime”. Being stupid and carrying a firearm isn’t a crime, neither should being drunk and carrying a firearm. In no way am I suggesting one should do that, only that if you are not harming anyone or anything, no crime occurred.

4 Likes

That’s exactly the point should you concern yourself with this? Hmmm fairness sounds like equity to me. I learned at a very young age life wasn’t fair.

1 Like

Yes, life is not “fair”, however, that is not “equity”. Our country was founded on egalitarianism - that is the point. Egalitarianism means that we are all equal. No one is allowed to have rights nor privileges that no one else has. That has zero to do with “equity”.

1 Like

Interesting thought, wonder how that works for felons, folks locked up in asylums, vets that are homeless, law enforcement. We will not agree & thanks for explaining that word I can’t even pronounce. ( I think you made that up lol)

Not doubting you, but where are you seeing this? I thought LEOSA (think I have that right, LEO able to carry without a CHL permit) was NO alcohol.

In Louisiana, you can conceal carry up to .05 BAC, so just above half way to unable to drive.

I personally don’t have a problem with someone having a couple of beers and carrying, but that depends a lot on the person’s demeanor.

2 Likes

In WI it’s either or and I’m good with that.
Firearms and alcohol don’t mix.
I choose carry over consume.

7 Likes

It’s the same as drinking while driving. I don’t drink but if I did I wouldn’t carry my gun while drinking. If you get involved in a situation where you have to draw your firearm and possibly use force, even if you’re right, your wrong.

2 Likes

2 Likes

I had one beer in 2007. That was my last alcohol. Prior to that I drank enough for 3 lifetimes, so planning on sobriety when I come back as a bull and an eagle.

4 Likes

As for law enforcement, no, they are just civilians like the rest of us. As for felons, talk to the Democrats that passed the FFA in 1938 and the GCA in 1968. Until 1938, felons were not disbarred their rights - and I do not believe that is just. As to homeless people, how do they not have the same rights as the rest of us? As to people in prison and psych wards, their freedoms are curtailed for the reasons they are there. Once out, they should have all their rights restored.

Egalitarianism:

1: a belief in human equality especially with respect to social, political, and economic affairs
2: a social philosophy advocating the removal of inequalities among people

3 Likes

LEOSA is not a right, it is a federal law that gives a certain citizens special privileges that other citizens are denied. As to police imbibing and carrying, that is likely an issue of legality depending on state and on department policy.

In Virginia, LE, DAs, judges, and other “officials” are allowed by law to CC and imbibe. Nowhere in that law that allows that does it state they are not allowed to be intoxicated. It does stipulate that a CHP holder cannot legally CC and imbibe in establishments that serve alcohol (there are technically no bars in VA by law). The law also allows people to OC and imbibe in establishments that serve alcohol as long as they are not under the influence (0.05% BAC in VA).

1 Like

Is Virginia a “private club” state? I believe at least some parts of North Carolina are. I had to join a club (for a buck, and that gave me perpetual membership) in Asheville before having a cocktail at their establishment.

2 Likes

So they have the same rights to get locked up, have their rights removed & never returned… sounds true to me. You may have the last word as I’m done with this.

1 Like

I am unfamiliar with that term. However, no, Virginia does not have anything like that. It is just that by law places that sell alcoholic beverages to consume on premises must also sell food, and a certain percentage of sales are required to be from food. I don’t recall what the percentage is, but that is why there are no “bars” in Virginia. I’m from NYS, we have bars there, so I don’t care enough about that aspect of the law to bother researching it further. When I heard about it many years ago, I researched it then as it sounded odd to me.

3 Likes

I meant right as in correct. :wink: I thought it drinking was restricted under federal law for LEOSA, but don’t know. Good point on different states and departments.

1 Like

Liquor laws are the one category of regulation that might challenge gun laws for being odd.

In Oklahoma, once upon a time, you couldn’t buy alcoholic beverages except at a “supper club” (and possibly other similar private clubs). In New Mexico, alcohol sales on Sunday whether at a restaurant, supermarket, etc., are prohibited before noon; it used to be 1:00, but I guess that was too punitive on the restaurateurs’ Sunday brunch revenue (and hence the state’s tax share too).

3 Likes

The Law Enforcement Officer Safety Act of 2004 (also known as LEOSA or HR218) and codified as 18 USC 926B for “Qualified Law Enforcement Officers” and 18 USC 926C for “Qualified Retired Law Enforcement Officers” allows qualified active and retired LEOs to carry within the United States and its territories subject to certain restrictions. One of those restrictions is that the QLEO or QRLEO are “not under the influence of alcohol or another intoxicating or hallucinatory drug or substance.” It does not prohibit police from carrying, only from carrying outside where they would otherwise be able to carry while under the influence of alcohol.

At least in Kentucky, police do not have superior rights than others with respect to being under the influence and carrying firearms. Although Kentucky LEOs, QRLEOs, judges and prosecutors are allowed to carry in bars and several other locations (police/sheriffs offices, courthouses, schools and government meetings) while others may not be allowed, they can still be penalized if intoxicated with a weapon.

4 Likes

I don’t know, just asking, but say some argumentative person (perhaps also drunk, or under the influence of whatever) comes up and provokes a fight, it escalates where lethal force is used to stop the threat. Threat ends up dying or having a permanent injury. Cops are called, show up, smell alcohol on you. You’re not driving, so you aren’t required to submit to a blood alcohol test. You called your USCCA folks to get your lawyer rolling. Cops arrest you, bring you in for questioning.

End result: you never submit to a blood alcohol or breathalyzer test, but the cops put in the report that there were beer cans all about the trashed campsite (remember, fight broke out, beer cans and everything got all knocked around), and smelled alcohol on your breath, and you refused any tests.

Never goes to any criminal charges as it was a good shoot. What if the person lived but with a permanent injury, or if they died and their family are mad, and there is a civil court case? They argue you were wasted and base it on the police report of alcohol on your breath, and argue that is why you refused the alcohol tests, and argue your judgement was impaired and you never should have been in possession of a firearm while drinking and that due to this negligence XYZ occurred.

I dunno if things could ever go this way. It just seems to be you should have a Designated Carrier, and while everyone else locks up their firearm and drinks, that one “DC” person stays sober arm armed.

4 Likes

Welcome to the family brother @Jason95357 , glad you could join us. First off, most states warns against carrying while under the influence of drinking alcohol or illegal substance. So I would say, if one follows this there should be no reason to be in such predicament.

2 Likes

@Lu-Can

Welcome to the family brother @Jason260 , glad you could join us. First off, most states warns against carrying while under the influence of drinking alcohol or illegal substance. So I would say, if one follows this there should be no reason to be in such predicament.

Yeah, but this entire post is about “drinking while camping and carrying” so your reply doesn’t really make a lot of sense as we’ve already crossed that bridge.

1 Like