Don't go to the mall after cleaning your gun

Let me see if I can make it easier.

I think that if you force me to disarm myself, through the intimidation and harassment of off duty law enforcement, even though the laws of that state do not allow that. Then, yes I do think they are responsible for your security.

Many states require a “No Guns Allowed” zone to have adequate security measures in place to protect those it disarms. Measures such as metal detectors, armed security and such.

The state I live in has enumerated into law what are “no carry zones”, and that no guns allowed signs hold absolutely zero force of law. They can ask you to leave, if they spot you CC and if you refuse, they can call the police and the police can then issue a “Trespass Warning”. Meaning if you come back, then and only then can they arrest you for trespassing

I don’t carry openly, I carry concealed. In more years than I like, no one has ever spotted my CC.

It’s my opinion and only my opinion. You and anyone else who cares to chime in are not going to change that.

I consider myself my own first responder. You have not lived my life to understand what,how, or even why my opinions are formed.

Are we done now, have I enunciated it clearly enough? I said some might think my position to be extreme, but I have said it is just my opinion.

2 Likes

I am not sure what this refers to. It seems we aren’t going to understand one another through text, but that’s okay, we unfortunately aren’t making laws ourselves. :frowning:

Carry on. :slight_smile:

3 Likes
  1. We have a mall that has made itself into a gun free zone despite them not having the authority to.

2. They have hired off duty law enforcement with canine units to enforce it. Even though there is preexisting law in place that named all of the gun free zones in the state the State has preemption laws in place to prevent anyone from making gun free zones.

3. You can hang gun free zone signs everywhere. They still have no force under the law, which the state has preempted as well.

4. If I am forced to disarm by that mall it is
    A) Illegal
    B) Unenforceable
    C) Thus it is my opinion, they should be held
    accountable for my security.
    D) In all places that the state has deemed Gun Free
    Zones. They must have security measures in place
    for security purposes.
    E) This is my opinion since the mall ( 1 very specific
    mall) has no law making authority, in designating
    new Gun Free Zones since the State has preempted
    that authority. It is my opinion that due to the
    tactics they are using, to enforce their gun free
    status are not within the boundary of creating a new
    Gun Free Zone. Then if I am injured die to them
    taking away my only reliable source of self
    defense they should be responsible for my safety.

That is just my opinion

All the mall owner can have done to me is have the off duty police harass me and issue me a warning for trespass. I would have to leave the premises and come back again before they do anything to me, which would be for trespassing.

TLDR Version
I don’t like being disarmed, by a private entity that doesn’t have the authority. Other than harassment.

2 Likes

I’m not a lawyer but my understanding of preemption laws is they prevent lower levels of government from passing laws/regs that differ from the state…they do not prevent private property owners from having rules that, if broken, ask that you leave the property.

1 Like

Jesus wept

2 Likes

To be honest, I’ve never heard of a gun sniffing dog. Having said that, I don’t think any amount of scent in the area will fool a dog. The other thing that’s always concerned me is; do security guards have the power to arrest? I don’t think so. They can only, like you, call the police.

3 Likes

What’s the scent of a gun a dog picks up? Burnt gunpowder?? Go test the dog with a pocket full of fired brass and see how the dog reacts if you really wanna know.

2 Likes

In the state of Virginia a Security Officer has to take an arrest authority course as part of their certification to become a security officer/guard. Maybe some states are different though.

2 Likes

I know a bit about training dogs. I have rescued 4 puppies who are in police service right now

1. 1 Drug Dog.
  2. 1 Corpse Dog.
  3. 1 SAR dog ) Air scenting.
  4. 1(SAR dog ) Trail scenting.
  5. 2 (K-9) With my daughter, for self-protection. Reaching
    retirement age.
  6. 1(K-9) at my home, still being trained.
  7. 1( Blind Guide dog ) Guides my sister.
  8. 1(Therapy Dog) Abused Pit Bull.
  9. (10+ Therapy Dog’s) over the years. For the Delta
    Society.

Been doing this since I left the military, in the late 80’ til 2005 when I had numerous vertebrae crushed have been more active and training much more frequently since 2010 when I became more mobile and was medically retired.

Top 7 dogs are still alive, rest of I am unsure of their status.

Plus I have trained a 4 time winner of the Illinois Field National K-9 Trials as a kid/teen My aunt who is a professional trainer in Hollywood, trained me, and I have been carrying on since. I also train horses for our local horse shelter.

All of that was mentioned to, at least, show I have some knowledge of training.

I wouldn’t even try to get past a trained scent dog, unless I knew it’s training. I would guess they are using an explosives dog. So he would probably be trained for explosive residue, gun powder, common solvents, and they are trained to recognize dozens of more scents.

Add in a handler and all you are basically looking for is for the dog to alert on you and give a reason for a Terry Stop.

5 Likes

Even easier. Splash some of that wonderful smelling Hoppes #9 on your shoes and make a pass by the dog.

4 Likes

I appreciate this information. Very helpful.

As a follow up, do you have any idea how far away they can smell the average handgun?

2 Likes

I haven’t been to a mall in 8-9 years.
I have plenty of other places to get what I need.

3 Likes

I will ask one of the guys who work with a k-9 unit. This is sure interesting.

3 Likes

Not sure if this applies but during WWII a bomb sniffing dog on patrol on the street followed a scent down the stairs of a subway, along the platform, through the tunnel to a location were a bomb was planted.

I can’t relate any of the specifics of the dog being able to do this but it did and saved countless lives.

4 Likes

That’s incredible. I need to Google that and see if I can find the story. My son loves history and would find that one interesting.

I’m glad this dog didn’t follow me that far!

1 Like
2 Likes

By the time the dog reacts to a mass shooter he will have emptied a magazine

2 Likes

The mall in question has had a couple gang related shootouts indoors and more in the parking lot in the last few years. They’re hoping the dogs will deter the gang-bangers from carrying in the mall or at least go to a different mall. Dumb@sses shooting it out in the food court is bad for business.

3 Likes

I suspect the far more common ‘gang violence’ or robberies type of crime is what the dogs are expected to reduce

3 Likes

We’ll, that said; You can’t fix stupid!

1 Like