Don't go to the mall after cleaning your gun

My local megamall has had several shooting incidents in the last couple weeks - one shootout between a kiosk vendor and a robber, one gang battle in a food court and one ‘shots fired in the parking lot but the perps left before the cops arrived’'. The mall has a ‘no guns’ policy and are now advertising that they now have a policeman with a gun sniffing dog patrolling the mall - https://www.wral.com/gun-sniffing-dog-to-be-deployed-in-streets-at-southpoint-mall-to-prevent-more-shootings/20044519/
A related article claims the dog can detect a single cartridge on a person and that the dog alerts to the smell of gunpowder and cleaning solvents. If this is the case I would expect them to alert to residual odors left after taking your PDW off and leaving it in a lockbox in your car before entering the mall or if you go to the mall shortly after handling firearms or cleaning gear. One more reason to avoid the mall if its attractiveness to gangbangers wasn’t already sufficient reason.

13 Likes

I never step foot in a mall, but if it were a place where one could legally carry, that’d be a fun court case to watch.

10 Likes

Is the “no guns” policy backed by Law in your state? In most states, it is not. Which means they can, at most, ask you to leave.
But you are right, malls during the Holidays are best avoided.

10 Likes

Curiously, a double homicide some 30 years ago at a local shpping mall at Christmastime was what motivated me to replace my EDC with a “hammerless” Centennial (for a faster draw!) :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

4 Likes

Funny thing is my wife works in the in Victoria Secrets and I pick her up from work almost every day. Several doors have the no guns allowed sign and the one that I enter through does not. I never noticed any LEO with K9s but they are assigned to the mall on overtime details. Most of whom I know and they know I am retired LEO.

6 Likes

Exactly what I was thinking.

Sounds like a place that is best avoided entirely, regardless of whether or not you are carrying a gun or might smell like you are

BTW: I know for a fact that those gun sniffing dogs do work. Legitimately, they DO

4 Likes

Not sure about the local laws where you are, but in Louisiana, stores and other businesses don’t have the right to override state law, which says I can carry at the mall. Only places as mentioned in the state statute, schools, bars ECT are forbidden by state law. Had that discussion with my Doctor as he has the same sign. He told me confidentially that he still carries, I told him I did too. :grin:

3 Likes

Not just your mall but, all of them. Don’t know how that stuff happens at MOA, either. There signs up. :joy:

3 Likes

I don’t visit my local mall much, but if they start a “no gun” policy, I will stop going altogether.

5 Likes

My local mall is 20 miles away so I’m safe from that noise!

5 Likes

Mrs. R. works at a mall in Salt Lake, It’s pretty much the same for me. I carry in there. I’ve heard it’s a gun free zone but haven’t seen any signs. In any case it’s not enforceable by law. They can tell you to leave if you have a firearm and if you don’t they can claim trespassing.

5 Likes

Go to a Mall ?
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

6 Likes

Our biggest mall has gone to that. K-9 officers on patrol. I just don’t go. Last time I went to a mall was for a friend’s birthday at Dave and Busters. Had an Addison’s episode, as they were arguing over who would give me my shot, needed to keep me alive ( yes Virginia, Addison’s kills) the female paramedic holding me up could feel my Glock, and I told her I had a CCW permit, she whispers " I figured that, just wish someone like you could have been here 2 weeks ago".

6 Likes

If you have to go and the dog sniff powder, in my case I show them my conceal carry license issued by the state and keep it moving. I really dont go to the mall much anyway. But this could also happen in restaurant areas.

2 Likes

It’s distressing to see how the gun control propaganda seeps into the general population’s thinking. Carrying in a “no gun” mall or other business is not illegal. All they can do , if they discover you are carrying, is ask you to leave. Just like Free Speech, you can’t be arrested for talking in a library. That being said, unless you’re really unfortunate to live in a State that has outlawed CCW in malls and other venues and it is ; then don’t go there or move. I’d wash my hands in Hoppe’s just to piss them off!

4 Likes

Depends on the state, and signage. Could be illegal. Most states it would not be. Others, like Texas, it might be illegal.

1 Like

Just thinking about the same thing. Could be fun. :us:

1 Like

I’m no lawyer but I find it hard to believe that a private business can cancel a constitutional right. Schools, Govt. buildings, police stations etc is a different story and laws are on the books in most states making CCW illegal there. There is something to be said for," Better judged by 12 than carried by 6"!

3 Likes

They (private businesses) also have property rights. They do have a legal right to demand that you not be there armed. While I may not agree with their reasoning, I do agree that they do have that right.

Stay safe out there.

3 Likes

6"? lol

This reminds me of the motorcycling one where people had to “lay it down!” Please don’t encourage this sort of chatter. I wouldn’t want someone to decide to kill a guy based on a saying.

4 Likes