Don't go to the mall after cleaning your gun

Yes, in NC where the OP lives No Guns signs at private businesses carry the weight of law. Violating the signs could result in arrest and criminal charges.

This is in contrast to the recent mall incident in Indiana where a 22 year old carrying under the IN Constitutional (permitless) Carry law was in a no guns mall and saved probably 20 or more lives by putting 8 bullets into a rifle-wielding mall shooter in 15 seconds. In Indiana the signs are only statements of business policy; only if a person is identified as carrying and asked ot leave, and they refuse to do so, can they be charged with civil (not criminal) trespass.

This information is available for each state on two web sites:
HandGunLaw.US
and
USCCA Reciprocity Map & Gun Laws.

4 Likes

Wish that was true @Russ but unfortunately in Wisconsin any location can put up signs designating that it is a gun free zone and legally you cannot carry there as a matter of law, period. There are rules about the signage such as size, location, verbiage but if those are followed it is illegal for you to carry there.

4 Likes

I bet the people at the mall where that young man took out a potential mass shooter appreciate what he did.

4 Likes

That’s too bad. That begs the question: “Is it better judged by 12 than carried by 6”?

2 Likes

This came up last night. I was at a mall with the family. There are a handful of stores there that we shop and one was having good sales and we needed some things. We go to this mall maybe a half dozen times a year. There was a person shot outside an Apple store several months back.

Signs don’t carry the weight of law in this state. I am legal to carry there.

The anchor stores do not have no gun signs at the entrances. The mall entrances have a no guns sign and there is a sign somewhere that says they have gun sniffing dogs. This is unarmed mall security, not LEO’s with dogs.

It’s funny because we were at this same mall earlier this summer. I was carrying, tactical pen in my breast pocket, folding knife clipped to a pants pocket, and a flashlight clipped to another pocket and spare magazine weighing down a cargo pants pocket. The Apple store (where the shooting was) at this mall had apparently hired a couple of security guards. Two big dudes that were in tactical looking cargo pants, black polo shirts, tactical looking shoes, and looked the part of former military or LEO. I walked right past them into the store and didn’t seem to get a second glance. Seems like if you were looking for a guy with a gun and if you had any situational awareness you’d give the guy with all those metal clips on his pockets a second glance? I try to be discrete, but seems to those in the know, I would have sent some signals? Either that or they figured I was legit?

Back to last night… The wife and daughter were shopping in an anchor store. My son and I were finished so we decided to get some steps in and walk. I told my son about the dogs and said if we see one we will be taking a hard turn into a store or doing a 180. I told him to pay attention because I would just make a turn and wouldn’t say anything to him. I’ve never seen a mall security guard go into a store, they are just in the common areas. That makes me wonder if they have “jurisdiction” in the individual stores?

Anyway, sure enough, we see two security guards walking towards us with a dog. I simply made a U turn and went back the way we came. (My son picked up on it pretty quickly.) We walked out of the mall, around part of the outside of the mall and back in via another anchor store. We never saw the guards or the dog again.

This leaves me with two questions for anyone who might know.

First, any idea how far away these dogs can smell a gun? I assume it has something to do with how “smelly” the gun is. I.e., if it’s been cleaned recently, etc. I was probably 40 feet from this dog when I saw it. I pulled a U turn within a second or two of seeing the dog so I have no idea if it reacted or not, but I assume it can’t smell something from that far away? If I were simply passing them from as far away as you can get in those wide mall hallways would that be far enough? I also wondered about ducking into a smelly store like a candle store or a Bath and Body Works where everything smells. Does that disrupt the dog’s sensors at all? I know those dogs can be really good, so I’m guessing that wouldn’t necessarily make a difference. But I wondered about a couple of well-placed sprays of sample cologne.

Second, anyone ever actually have an interaction with a non-LEO security guard over an issue like this? This incident made me role play what I would say or do under the circumstances. I am inclined to think I would simply walk away or keep walking and walk all the way to my vehicle and leave. Initially take a passive aggressive approach and see how it goes and improvise from there. I don’t know how these dogs react (don’t some just sit down and others bark?). I can’t imagine theses mall security guards could actually put hands on me and restrain me if I am just walking and the “dog alarm” goes off. I can’t imagine they could release the dog on me and have the dog restrain me. If I had an interaction with them, I would simply comply and explain that I am licensed to carry and that there were no signs at the entrance through which I came (I always go in through an anchor store for this reason.) I would comply with their request to leave. I would then figure out how to connect with my wife and daughter later.

3 Likes

I gotta go with “neither”

2 Likes

We had a market with 2 entries. It had a no guns sign on the left entry. The right entry was not signed. The parent company made the rules but the manager left 1 door unsigned to get around it. The manager had a sense of humor as to which door got the sign. The town I live in has a high carry rate. No gun signs would have cut his business considerably. Businesses here have failed because of no gun signs.
We don’t have a mall.

5 Likes

I fall into a strange point on this one. On the one I am a Constitutional Absolutist. So any infringement be it private or Government (yes I know the Constitution is written to restrict the Government). Is still an Infringement.

On the other hand, having a crowd trying to exercise their 1st Amendment right to assemble in my front yard isn’t happening.

If a business is going to disarm, I think they should be liable for my safety. Not having a few security around but one who is with me the ENTIRE and at a minimum at least as profecient as I am.

That sounds extreme, I know but they are putting me in an extreme position of being harmed or even killed because I can’t defend myself adequately as they have removed the best equalizer for self protection that I have.

There are enough laws to restrain me from any unlawful actions.

Yes I understand I can take my business elsewhere. But what if I can’t. I lived in a town, when I was young , it was so small it had 1 blinking yellow light, a Post Office in the same building as a convenience/gas station. That was it for 20 ish miles in any direction.

I have carried so long I don’t even realize it when I might be going somewhere I shouldn’t.

2 Likes

They aren’t, though.

You are.

Their property, their rules, if you truly feel you need full time personal security dedicated to you to keep you alive there…don’t go there…whether you are allowed to carry a gun or not…don’t go there.

3 Likes

I have a growing change of perspective on this since we just wrestled through this at work due to the Bruen decision. I think most businesses that prohibit guns due so to limit their own liability. I don’t think it necessarily means that they are anti gun. Whether that liability is perceived or real is for the attorneys to figure out.

1 Like

IMHO any business that limits your ability to defend yourself takes full responsibility for your safety. If you get injured in an incident they should be liable for all damages.

3 Likes

By the same token, if they allow you to bring a gun, and you injure someone, should they also be liable for that?

3 Likes

I agree with you in theory.

However, and I mean this very respectfully, there is often a significant difference between what is and what should be. We have to make business decisions based upon what is rather than what it should be.

3 Likes

unfortunately, lawyers are far too aware of the risk of everything and the value of nothing. I’m currently fighting lawyers who belong to a fraternal organization I’m active in who want to prevent us from chartering Boy Scout troops because of risk. If we leave risk decisions up to lawyers none of us will be allowed to get out of bed.

4 Likes

I’m sorry for the battle you are fighting. It sounds like you are trying to do something good but are hung up with attorneys. May common sense, truth, and goodwill prevail. Keep on keeping on!

As a clarification, I don’t advocate for leaving risk decisions up to attorneys. However, consulting with them on occasion to at least be aware of the risk is probably a prudent step towards an informed decision.

My comment regarding attorneys above was that some of these liability concerns are more perception than reality. One of the questions we asked ourselves was “now that an attorney has told us what could happen, can we think of examples where that actually did happen?”

2 Likes

You already are and if they forced everyone else to be disarmed. Then yes they should.

The majority of mass shootings happen in GUN FREE ZONES because mass shooters (in My admittedly biased opinion) are COWARDS

So they arm up (Some armor up) then they go to a Gun Free Zone (usually) and start shooting defenseless strangers

“if they allow you to bring a gun” It’s funny that you mention that. All of my Doctor’s that are in the city, I go to the range usually beforehand because it’s 45ish minutes away so I combine them. Now down here where I live, we have a real problem with people who watch gun stores and/or ranges, so they can see who is coming out with guns, then follow them. If the gun owner stops somewhere, they will break into the car and steal the guns or in some cases car jack them. The police sent all of the gun stores and ranges bulletins on it. So I made a copy and I spoke with them. Not one of them complainéd or told me to leave.

2 Likes

They are, and the reason this one mall in this specific place, they don’t even have signs, was a shooting at this high end boutique store.

The female paramedic holding me up could feel my Glock, and I told her I had a CCW permit, she whispers " I figured that, just wish someone like you could have been here 2 weeks ago".

That’s a quote by me from further up this thread. I don’t feel like I need full time security anywhere. I’m my own security. Would you like to know why? It’s because I don’t get the luxury of picking when and where someone of ill intent is going to attack me, my loved ones, or go a nutter and shoot up the place.

I’ve actually been in a mass shooting. Happened in a Hospital. I was having surgery, was completely under anesthesia. I was in Surgical Suite 3, a surgical assistant in Surgical Suite 5, pulled a nutter and shot everyone in Suites 5 through 7. Know what happened to me, not a danged thing because the entire surgical team left me there on the table completely unconscious. The whole time the police were negotiating with the nutter, I was laying on that table. Was there for 7 hours before the dude committed suicide.

So don’t lecture me about feeling like needing a full time security team. I take that duty myself. I am my own first responder.

2 Likes

Do you have any examples of businesses that don’t prohibit guns being held liable when a patron negligently injures someone? I did not know that was how that works, dont’ recall seeing it

Are you being specious intentionally? I said this was what I wanted. Not that it was the law of the land. However, in the state I live in, signs have no force of law. The state has preemption. So even if a city, passes a law stating that signs have the force of law, it would be nullified by the states preemption.

What this mall is doing, even if the police and K-9 catch you all they can do is trespass you. But you will be harassed and detained. I don’t feel a need to tilt at windmills, so I stay away.

2 Likes

Ah, I see. My bad, I missed that.

So you believe the way it should be is private property owners should be held liable for the actions of their patrons. If you bring a gun there and injure someone, they are liable for that. If they don’t let you bring a gun and someone else injures you, they are liable for that (not how is, but how should be)

Do I have it now?

1 Like