Dog owners and being responsible

My wife and I spend part of winter in rural Florida. Every day we take our dog which is a Golden-Doodle which is all of 30# for a walk. The roads where we stay are basically sand roads which are occasionally maintained by the county. Most property owners have dogs which are pit bulls or similar breeds. They also have signs on their property stating beware of dog. I have encountered property owners that don’t keep these dogs confined to their property. Meaning gates are left open. I have also had dogs jump the fence and approach me. I have a Minnesota and Florida conceal permit. I have started to carry on my daily walk My plan is to protect myself and my dog if I have an encounter with a dog I can’t just yell at or walk away from. Anyone else have advice or been in a similar situation? To answer an obvious question no there are not roads close by to walk with out dogs present. Thanks for input and advice

4 Likes

Is it legal to shoot an attacking dog in Florida? Carry bear spray and your firearm, not the little pepper sprays.
If it’s not your dog do not trust it. Any dog of that size and of those breeds are dangerous.

Beware what you let in your house

2 Likes

Ammo is expensive. Carry pepper spray instead.

4 Likes

In Utah dogs are not people they are property, that said if a dog attacks you you can defend yourself. If a dog attacks your dog, that’s a little different deal.

4 Likes

Check with the county or city to find out what leash laws, if any, exist in the area. There may also be specific, dangerous breed/dog laws which further limit dog owners from allowing their dogs to run free on public property. Non of this addresses your concern. However, if my dog was to be attacked by another large dog when walking on a public street, I would fear not only for my dog’s life but mine as well. Who knows what that dog will do after potentially disposing of my dog? I question the efficasy of pepper/bear spray on a pitbull, I’ve seen, not first hand but videos, pitbulls in attack mode being hit with baseball bats and not even flinch but continue their attack.
I love pitbulls, mind you, they are the sweetest, most loving pets when bred and raised properly but I would personally, in your situation, most definitely carry some means of protection when walking with or without your dog.

4 Likes

Rural unattended dogs were the reason years ago I got my LTC.

Carry some good OC spray, they make some specific for canines and such.
Or, non-lethal if you wish, get some of the CCI snake shot. It only is effective at ranges less than 3 feet, so that animal that comes up within a few feet of you barking to rip you apart would get peppered.

When these dogs have been out, how does your dog react, that could be a disastrous dog fight to say the least?

2 Likes

I was thinking more about this.

After your DCI with the canine unit, be sure to contact LE and file an aggressive animal report immediately upon making yourself safe.

Dog owners can be very aggressive as well, and if you just shot their dog, could you imagine the possible responses!? If THEY call 911 first to report there is someone target shooting around here and chased my puppy down and shot it, wow, what a mess you’d be in.

Always be the first to call LE.

4 Likes

Household ammonia works great in a water pistol of any kind, TRY IT

2 Likes

Never heard of that. Worth a try. Thanks

2 Likes

Great information thanks. If I filed a dangerous animal report with law enforcement and walk by that property again is there an issue of me trying to cause a problem or once the complaint is filed does it go to the dog and property owner to take action? Thanks again

2 Likes

When I was around 8years old riding the bicycle to school, there was a bad dog on the way to school and the owner would not keep him tied up. After being bitten/attacked a couple of times mom had had enough. We went to the dime store and bought a water pistol that had a tank that hung on the belt and filled it with ammonia. The next day I got him full in the face with a full load. I never saw the dog again.

2 Likes

Now that you’ve expressed your plan in writing on an open forum, suggest you put you puppy in the car and find a safer place to walk the dog, lest you find yourself in the unfortunate circumstance of having to defend yourself, both in the moment and later in civil or criminal court…

2 Likes

People express their plans here every day. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I’m sure that was because you burned the dogs lips, mouth and eyes out.
We got away with a whole lot more stuff when we were 8. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

You can get away with a lot of stuff today, if you’re protecting yourself

1 Like

Ammonia is a caustic chemical, don’t do it. Get the Bear spray and carry your firearm if you have a cellphone one of you should be recording.
If you file a complaint then it’s on the owner. If you are on a public road you have every right to be there, stay on the opposite side of the road and keep your dog under control. Stay safe. :us:

3 Likes

My plan is if ever attacked by a dog to defend myself in any way possible. To me that doesn’t seem too earth shattering or premeditated.

2 Likes

Let us know how that works. :+1:

1 Like

That’s my plan exactly. Not looking for any problems. But when threatened I will defend myself anytime I can’t get out of the situation. Thanks for your input.

3 Likes

Just wanted to update a post I did on what to do to defend yourself against a dog attack. Brief summary I walk my dog in rural Florida and encountered property owners who won’t keep aggressive dogs with in a fence or property. I walk with a 30# golden doodle that is always on a leash The typical dog owned in rural Florida is a pit bull or similar breed. I encountered a neighbor that had three dogs unrestrained. I asked him to control his dogs. His response was they are friendly and just want to play. I verbally instructed him to grab his dogs telling him I don’t want any issues with you just control your dogs. I informed him I will defend myself in any and every manor possible if his dog approached. I informed the owner I will immediately call the county animal control and sheriffs department if he control his dogs. He did grab his dogs and since then have not been a problem. Yes I was carrying and had my hand ready to draw to defend. I have since had a personal visit with a Sheriffs deputy. His direct advice was defend yourself anyway possible if approached by an aggressive dog. I mentioned I am a legal conceal and carry holder in Florida. He said don’t be afraid to defend yourself. Interesting response. I wanted to make sure I knew my rights. Best part of my conversation with the deputy was I happened to be wearing a USCCA tea shirt and he said they are a great resource for information. Walk safe.

3 Likes