Does anyone go in the pool, river, ocean, lake while carrying?

If you do carry what do you carry and how do you clean and maintain your water EDC so it doesn’t rust or get messed up?

3 Likes

Interesting question. Looking forward to answers.

My initial impression is not on purpose; do have a plan of a way to secure it either in one’s vehicle, with a trusted person, in a locker if allowed and if no one would steal it, Vs. leave it at home.

Some swimming areas might not allow it. Doing it more than once on purpose can’t be good for a firearm, why risk damage to a major cost investment. Talk about the ultimate in having to dry and clean it.

Maybe one good thing, while in the water, less chance to Need it; Compared to when on land. IDK.

Swimmers and rainy weather enthusiasts know better than I ever would. :blush:

2 Likes

Speargun.:smirk:
Glock

5 Likes

My EDC is Aluminum and Stainless. The Grips are plastic. The only thing that is carbon (rustable) is the mag. That said, I wouldn’t purposely submerge it but I’m pretty sure it would do just fine if it got soaked. If it did happen, I’d certainly clean it at the first opportunity.

2 Likes

Never even rhought about carrying in water or around it as I am lucky and have a pool.

2 Likes

It was more situational like you are hiking and have to go through water. Fishing and you fall into the water from a boat. By the pool and someone playfully pushes you in. I was just wondering if anyone does it on purpose?

2 Likes

Not what I had in mind but kind of cool. I don’t think he is eating those but I would go lead free.

Edit: I stand corrected I didn’t know lionfish could be eaten.

1 Like

A friend who manages a ship building company fell off a barge while carrying a Glock…rinsed it, shot it, good to go.
Slides on striker guns come apart quite easily, and water flows through the frame so a rinse and dry is no big deal. Glock does make special striker spring cups if you plan on dousing your gun regularly…
Salt water, use stainless steel wherever you can, and rinse with freshwater.
Decades back, I recall the mini 14 or 30 in stainless being advertised in a boating magazine…

3 Likes

After a day like this, I usually do a complete ultrasonic cleaning!
SERIOUSLY;

2 Likes

I’ve done plenty of hiking, backpacking, multiple overnights in the Tetons and Rockies, boundary waters canoe wilderness area way up by Canada eh…never had a situation hiking or backpacking or even canoeing where I would be in water above my waist. That seems like, things have gone terribly wrong if I’m in water that deep while hiking, and long term rust on my gun is not going to be something I’m worried about there.

Plus, when hiking, the gun is up at chest level (because of the pack and its hip level supports), even higher than waist.

The last thing you want to do while backpacking, is keep backpacking with boots or shoes that had water flood in over the top. It sucks. Generally you bring flip flops or crocs or similar to wear when your pack is off/overnight, and if you have an actual ‘water crossing’ you stop and put your boots up high on the pack and put on the crocs. If needed, I would at that time also put my gun into a watertight bag in my pack for the crossing

Which is to say (lol), I never get my guns underwater. If I am going to the pool or lake or beach I either don’t get in the water or I don’t bring a gun. We went to FL a few weeks ago, and spent a couple days on the beach, I carried a Shield Plus with my hiking shorts that are basically like swim trunks (but have belt loops), and a loose button up sun protection shirt. Didn’t go in water above my knees, not really my thing anyway.

2 Likes

IN to the water? Not on purpose. I don’t own a harpoon gun.
ON the water? Yes. That’s how I lost all my guns in a boat accident.

8 Likes

I’d worry more about the ammunition being water damaged than the firearm.

4 Likes

A 30 or 50 cal lockable ammo can works great around water. They can be cable locked to your boat or raft. I carry a compact cleaning kit along with a paddle holster for my stainless Ruger 357 or Glock 30. A small dry bag is good to use while you are wading some unknown depths.

So, if you’re jumping in the pool with your gun, then dry it and clean it. Depending on the quality of the firearm, some may start rusting before you get out of the water. On some of the extended river trips I like to take, it’s good to do a CLP treatment. On one trip we started late in the year up north, we had snow the first day, then sleet the next followed by two days of rain before several days of sunshine as we got further south. Impossible to keep the holstered guns dry, even under rain gear, but with a little care there were no problems.

3 Likes

And since we are on this topic, does anyone know of a holster that would wear like a backpack putting the firearm between your shoulders just below your neck?
I’ve always thought that would be a great location while wading and fishing.

2 Likes

Never heard of one. I think that situation is where people use chest holsters. Very popular for hiking/outdoors

3 Likes

Great point you make. Fun topic. Accidents happen, especially hiking. I imagine, disassemble, dry and clean. I’d consider replacing all the EDC ammo.

Saw some vids of semi auto’s working even after muddy (another what if), just couldn’t find it again. I think Glocks are tough, but this vid shows otherwise. I didn’t’ like this presenter’s use of safety, thought he could have been more careful with where he points and I’d prefer he keep fingers away from the muzzle, but still good food for thought.

I don’t recommend re-using a gun after test torture, do respect their sacrifice. :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Glocks are tough, and do serve well in poor conditions.

Filling any pistol with mud is likely to result in failures/malfunctions. Tim over at MAC has proven this time and time again, everything fails. Some fails more or less than others. Holsters that cover most of the gun are pretty helpful. Holsters that fit snug and maybe have clothing over them as well, even better.

3 Likes