Do you train without glasses?

For those who wear prescription glasses/contacts, do you ever train without them? Do you train in low or no light conditions to simulate nighttime home invasions?

1 Like

I do not train without my glasses. I have to wear them to see anything clearly. I have pretty big prisms that keep my double vision under control. My glasses are always on my face, on the bathroom counter or on the bedside table.

2 Likes

I’m in the same boat as OldGnome in that my vision is bad enough I don’t train without my glasses as it wouldn’t work, but my glasses are always on me or very close. I do train in low light / no light though. I highly recommend doing so if you can find somewhere that let’s you. Everything changes with the lack of light and I wouldn’t want to find that out for the first time in a real situation.

1 Like

Training… I wear my multi-focal disposable contact lenses. At home when I am awake I use my prescription glasses.
Real life… like when I am sleeping without my contacts or glasses… I train to immediately (with the slight movement of my thumb) turn on my pulsating LaserMax red dot. I do not need glasses to see the dot on target.

2 Likes

That’s a nice setup TexasEskimo. I like the idea of a laser, but for my circumstance, I’m not sure I’d be confident in my target identification without my glasses.

3 Likes

I only started thinking about this a few weeks ago. Should something go bump in the night, how much of a disadvantage would I be at? Turns out - quite a HUGE disadvantage. I need to get better at “point shooting,” so I have started wearing unprescripted safety goggles and trying to get decent accuracy at 7-10 yards. Right now, I’m ok at about 3 lol.

2 Likes

I need readers and can’t see my front sight clearly without them (it’s pretty darn blurry), but don’t have much issue seeing self-defense distance targets adequately. Because I can’t count on having my readers on when they might be needed, I train without them.

Early this year I gave up trying to solve the dual-distance problem (readers / bifocals / etc.) and just went to no-readers training, the consistency of my shooting improved.

4 Likes

Yes. I don’t really need precision at self defense distances. Everything is fuzzy, but as long as the grouping is within the silhouette I’m content. And after some practice it is a decent group in the vital areas.

2 Likes

I train without them, I also rarely wear them as I dont need them to see, just to read at greater distances…

1 Like

I have an added disadvantage with my hearing disability. It’s a good thing we have a dog, and my wife can hear better than the dog.

2 Likes

Yeah, getting the bifocals aligned right is a pain. It tends to blur my sights, so I train without them.

2 Likes

Me too!

(extra text added to make 10 characters)

1 Like

I am SUPPOSED to wear glasses, but normally do not because my prescription pair are so scratched up that they are unusable… I’m left handed, so I assumed that my left eye was my master eye, which used to be the case. The last time I went to the range, I had a Major problem getting a clear sight picture. About a week ago, I took an NRA RSO Class, and mentioned that issue to my instructor. He had me unload and we did a couple of experiments. It turns out that my right eye is becoming my master eye, possibly because of some vision problems with my left eye. This will cause problems in training, as well as with my perscription😔

1 Like

Yeah that swapping dominant eyes thing is a pain… I’ll see if I can find the thread where several of us talked about how we deal with it and add a link here.

Ok, here’s the other thread, there are some good ideas here @Henry_A

Any cross-eye dominant people in the Community?

2 Likes

@zee;
Thanks! Now I just need to schedule some more range time and determine which system works for me.

1 Like

You make think this to be crazy but don’t use your sights. Train to just point and shoot at the target. It will take some time but you can hit your target without using sights. The major thing you need to remember, know your target and what’s behind it. You should be able to hit your target just by looking at it. The old saying Aim Small Miss Small is always an option to think about too. If you have the muscle memory start concentrating on one certain spot on your target and then, point and shoot.

1 Like

I train without my glasses. I had eye surgeries some years back, and I’m far-sighted. I wear progressive bi-focals. My eyes go crazy on the range, especially when I’m moving around.

1 Like

Welcome to the group @Rebelcowboy32

Point shooting and unsighted fire certainly has a place in our training, for instance at extremely close range. But sighted fire is an extremely important skill… smaller targets, defense where there are other people present, mid-range distances, public places.

We own every bullet we fire, and we need to be very sure where every single one is going. Training for sighted fire is a critical skill. Once that’s in hand, training for point shooting and unsighted fire - and for knowing when to use them - can be a useful extension of your training.

5 Likes

I agree with you 100% but at the same time training for unsighted fire the way I’m talking is so we won’t miss even at a distance. Like you said we are responsible for every round we fire. Training to hit our target every time unsighted means we can keep scanning for any threats and engage faster and responsibly. You can train the mind and body to control these shots because your mind and body reacts faster than we can process.