How long did it take you to learn to focus on and line sights on target with both eyes?

I’ve been dry firing for about a week and was training myself to line sights with both eyes open. Once it happened, it was like an instant switch. It was a sudden change.

Do other people have this experience? How long does it normally take to train your mind to do this?

5 Likes

Weird… I’ve got the same.
I spent two, maybe three days shooting BB gun in my basement forcing myself to use both eyes open.
I was watching Chris Sajnog’s videos and followed his tips…and suddenly it worked. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

I don’t have too much of an issue when I’m shooting handguns. Once you put a “tube” optic (scope vs sight) on it (rifle), then I sometimes fall back to one eye open… harder habit to kick. I’m guessing I have the prevalence in movies to thank for that struggle.
Thanks movies, I hate you anyway… I’ll spare you all the rant.

2 Likes

I still shoot with one eye closed but on the next range trip I will try it after some dry fire practices at home.

3 Likes

Recently I started trying to use both eyes, but I have really bad astigmatism. I’m right handed, but it seems that my left eye is dominant. I’ve been struggling…hopefully I will be able to adjust to it. I didn’t realize how bad my eyes were until I started working on that. I’ll just blame the guns.

3 Likes

I have the same eye condition so we shall see how it works out brother and I’ll keep you posted.

1 Like

I have noticed that the 3dot white sights and most red sights make things harder for me. I recently changed the front sight on my M&P to green fiber optic. IMO it seems to help some.

2 Likes

I got lucky because I had someone coaching me to keep both eyes open from the beginning. It wasn’t a habit I had to break. That said, I sometimes still close one eye while I’m trying to get the other to focus.

1 Like

The USCCA Defensive Shooting Fundamentals class covers sighted and unsighted shooting - I highly suggest taking the class! It also teaches you to move and shoot and emergency reloads.

I would suggest working with an instructor to help transition to shooting with your dominant eye. Or check out the different conversations throughout the Community about cross-eye dominance.

3 Likes

It took me some time at the beginning (about a week of dry fire). What was a game changer for me was installing a micro Red Dot optic on my Glock 19 MOS pistol. It’s way easier to aim with both eyes open. It’s still important to know how to use iron sights, but after I installed the red dot I noticed I’m a faster shooter and a little more accurate at longer distances. I’m able to shoot a silhouette target at over 20 yards easily with a Glock pistol. Of course I can still improve my trigger and recoil control.

1 Like

I’d like to get an RMR for my P365XL one day (Maybe the Romeo Zero) after becoming proficient with irons. I’ve never had a radioactive isotope in front of my face, so I am trying to take advantage of that. :smile:

3 Likes

My PC Shield has a green fiber optic front sight and I will take it on my range trip see if it works better while keeping both eyes opened.

2 Likes

A very good optic for a very good pistol. Good choice.
I had a Holosun 508T Green Dot with the circle, but I sold it and I’m getting the new Holosun 509T because it’s 100% enclosed. I think the 509T is kinda ugly, but since it’s enclosed I’ll never have to worry about debris, mud, or water getting into the optic and blockzing the dot, even though I’ve never heard of that happening before. Just to be extra safe. :grin:

1 Like

Lol! Copying and pasting my reply from another thread…
I am left handed and right eye dominant. I struggle with the “both eyes open” thing. However, I recently watch one of the Warrior Poet videos where he is working with a novice shooter and had her turn her head (dominant eye forward) until the sight picture became clear. This has done WONDERS for me. I started off having to turn my head quite a bit, but it allowed me to keep both eyes open. As I have practiced this method I have begun training my non dominant eye to take a back seat, and not having to turn my head as far. It really was amazing to have that double vision thing happening, and as you turn your head it was like POW when the picture came clear.

3 Likes

I wear bifocals (I should wear trifocals) with heavy prisms. It took me years to learn to shoot with both eyes open. And by “learn,” I mean that one day I just did it without thinking about it. I had forgotten to close my offside eye…

2 Likes

I used to shoot competition with an eye blocker. That got me used to keeping both eyes open. Then I weaned myself off it.

1 Like

I grew up shotgunning & wingshooting.
Aiming with both eyes came more natural me, feels more awkward when I close one eye

1 Like

I’m interested in the turning head thing you mentioned. I’ve had people turn their weapon to align it with their dominant eye. Is it the same basic idea?

2 Likes

So being cross dominant I actually found the head turn helped with both the “eyes open” AND getting my dominant eye over the sights without changing my grip or anything with the pistol. I is something I am still working on, especially the motion of extending my hands and automatically turning my head to get ready to aim.

2 Likes

Same here as far as shooting with both eyes open. Except I just lead the bird and shoot. There’s no aiming for me, really, I just get lucky I guess. I’m not sure how to explain it, but if I aim a firearm with both eyes open, I just end up seeing two of everything. I’ll have to try the head turning thing.

2 Likes