How long did it take you to learn to focus on and line sights on target with both eyes?

I have about the same problem. I’m right handed but left eye dominant ! When I try to use both eyes I can’t focus on anything !

2 Likes

Try this, it’s helped multiple people. Unfortunately, the only practice I’ll get for the next couple weeks is in my living room.

1 Like

I have to look at that video. Shoot right handed. Left eye dominant and distance. Astigmatic and wear contacts. Shots are left and low but I can kiss right and high too

1 Like

Being left handed I fight with shots being low and right. To my understanding this has more to do with recoil anticipation right as your shot is breaking. Especially if, like me, your grouping is good just low and opposite of your dominant hand. You may be pulling down just a bit on the gun. Not so much a sight issue.

1 Like

I’ve seen that plus alot of others but it seems that whatever I try I just can’t seem to focus on anything. Everything is a blur ! I have a laser cartridge for my gun I’m just going to have to practice more. Alot more. But the wife seems to think that I have something better to do lol.

1 Like

It took a few days for me, I am cross eye dominate and right handed with the pistol. With dry fire training and watching a lot of Youtube videos, the pistol was easy, I just had to move the gun sight in front of my dominate eye but the rifle and shotgun was tougher, I had both eyes open and squint my strong eye to make my weak eye take over, I hated it, so for the rifle and shotgun I switched over to shot with my left hand.

1 Like

I noticed that the more I practice using fiber optic sights, rear reds/ front green, i have gotten better at picking up the sights with both eyes opened.

2 Likes

I like the Fiber Optic sights also.

I have always shot with both eyes open unless I’m looking through my rifle scope. When I was younger, I shot Trap and Skeet with my Dad every weekend for years and that’s how I learned to shoot with both eyes open.

1 Like

I’ve only taken the time to train with both eyes one time in the past. Like many others I’ve seen replying, I have the extra hurdle of cross eye dominance. Not only do I have to get used to focusing with both eyes open, but I have to take the time to develop the muscle memory required to naturally drive handguns out in line with my dominant eye.

2 Likes

Why? There is no advantage for the average CCW holder to even consider both eyes open. That is why law enforcement has a 17% hit rate. It is quickly being abandoned by most shooters. Spend your time on a smooth First round on target and I think you will find more benefit

2 Likes

I think I have always squinted the other eye but never closed it. I do not know if it was just bad eye sight and squinting to see clearly or just my war face. I have learned some tricks to teaching on focusing on the front sights but thats a whole different subject. Training is essential, practice, practice, practice!

1 Like

I’m working on it, but I think I need an observer and a shock collar.

Right handed, left eye dominant, at the point where I can aquire and shoot with both eyes open fairly quickly as long as I do the dumb puppy head tilt.

Here’s the kicker, and the reason for the shock collar. I’m out practicing the other day and doing pretty good. The sights are where they need to be each time my arms reach extension, head tilt is working, the group is tight and center. Then in the middle of a string dummy wakes up and realizes: I’m shooting strong hand, weak eye, and now I’m closing my strong eye . Someone hit the button on my collar please!!!

1 Like

When it comes to cross eye dominance, insignificant loss of accuracy isn’t worth worrying about if you’re doing what is natural, comfortable, and works for you. If you find yourself doing it during training because it’s natural for you, more than likely you’ll be doing it during a self-defense situation when adrenaline is high.

If your accuracy is completely lost, which is what leads you to catch yourself, then I would be concerned.

1 Like

Agreed. I’m not too concerned. That’s why I’m able to make light of it. I’ve been shooting most of my life and I know I’ll be doing what works for me without much thought when its showtime. But I still like to learn and grow since time stops for no man and things change.

2 Likes

Went to the range last weekend and was surprised how easy it was to pick up and continue shooting with both eyes open using the head tilt method. I have been doing dry fire drills to help set in the habit, and it seems to be working out well.

1 Like

I have an astigmatism as well. I wear corrective glasses for it and I recommend you do the same. My shooting glasses are corrected, but I dont have any electronic sights on defensive firearms in case I am not wearing my glasses. Without glasses, any red dot/reflex, etc. will appear as a very fuzzy figure 8. I dont have any advice for how long it takes to get used to both eyes open, as we are all different, but practice practice practice. Practice at the range, and practice at home. You dont even need to dry fire. Pick a spot on the wall at home and spend 5 minutes every day just bringing up the gun and sighting with both eyes open. Lower your gun and repeat. Do it a couple times a day working to get the sight picture you want and to train your eyes on what and how to focus. Cross-eye dominant, cant help you there. The best course is always to seek out an instructor. When you are shopping for an instructor, ask the questions on if they have ever worked with your specific set of concerns.

2 Likes