I am genuinely curious- are there any other Sig models that have been reported to have similar issues? Or is all of this limited to the P320?
It seems strange that Sig can make so many fine pistols (full disclosure: I carry a Sig), but seem incapable of correctly engineering and/or manufacturing a popular version like the 320 (and variants) or, at the very least, seem incapable of assuaging the fear around it. I’ll be fascinated to find out what went wrong, if we ever learn the whole story.
There were few reports of uncommanded discharge of P365, however I don’t remember which exact model.
I’m not tracking such issues of civilian pistols, unless there are dozens of them, because it’s hard to verify if the handgun was modified or not.
SIG was trying to change a handgun market introducing “Fire Control Unit” as a main firearm part, completely independent from frame and slide size. It was challenging, but I’m not sure if successful.
Unfortunately striker fired handgun design is very specific and must be done with some kind of precision - sear is mounted on frame or FCU, where striker with its hook on the slide. So anything out of specs or parts worn out may cause uncommanded discharge.
P320 was the first striker fired handgun made by SIG USA…..
Didnt watch the videos, but pic of it with his finger on the trigger tells me all I need to know.
Both of mine don’t go off when shaken ( that’s a new cause I haven’t heard yet) and not even by being hit by a deadblow ballot.
Something maybe going on, I dont know.
Sig went cheap on this one. Whether for the military contract, new shooters, etc. Dont know
Definitely not the same quality as some of their other lines.
My 320C compared to my P228 is like a pinto to a corvette.
Some folks compare this to the old Glock discharges. Apples and oranges. Modern day internet changed that. We have all seen the videos and im not making light of the injuries or even the airmans death. Im not. What nothing shows is what they did before the videos are shown. Any manipulation that could have caused something?
I refuse to take human error out and blame the gun, even if not the best design.
Just remember, the lowest bidder and functionality are the two keys to achieving a contract with the DOD. So, there just might be a quality problem there.
My understanding is that he removed his holstered 320 from his duty belt and placed it on a desk. It then discharged striking him in the chest, killing him.
It’s a bad ordeal all the way around and feel for his family.
Im just curious, like in all these cases, what happened before the gun went off? Was the gun manipulated in any way, was it modified (i doubt the airmans was if it was his military service weapon)?
I dont know what’s going on. I know its a bad design where sig tried to go cheap but that doesn’t mean it should go off. Hell, my SKYY is probably the cheapest, badly designed guns out there and it doesn’t go off by itself.
I just would like to know the history of the gun before it went off.
Right now, its similar to the videos of cops beating someone up. You see the outcome but not what lead up to it
My understanding is that the current information is kind of sketchy. We probably won’t know all the details until the AF completes their investigation.
None of us know what is going on with this weapon, which is what fuels a lot of our frustration. I suspect many of these incidents are due to something interacting with the trigger (The 320 with its light short trigger is not a forgiving firearm. Dumbassery of any sort will be rewarded with a loud noise.) , but there are incidents where this is just not a viable explanation.
Yes, no other striker fired gun appears to be having this UD issue that the 320 is having.
Besides the terrible trigger (which makes it safer IMO) usually on a SCCY when its on safe, the trigger has no resistance the hammer doesn’t move. Mine periodically will act like I’m going to fire (hammer starts moving and the 100lb trigger draw) with the safety on.
Doesn’t happen all the time and most of the time acts as advertised.
I won’t even shoot it anymore. It just sits on the shelf in the gun room. For a $200 gun it shot decently with decent reliability but I dont trust it. I actually trust my 320’s more