Do you EDC body armor?

So maybe not ED"C", EDW? Every day wear?

If so, what is it and where did you get it?

If not, why not?

2 Likes

EDW, wow! Hope I’m not that naïve, but are we really there?
Just prior to the coup de tat, I was doing a bit of research. Found it to be expensive and at that point not justified.
Which one do you trust, the $300. Version of level IIIA or the $3,000 version. It’s not like I can test them!

Furthermore, as I was searching the qualifying items they were selling out as fast as I could scroll down the page. I was looking for soft body armor for me and my wife.
I may have to revisit the issue. Perfect suit for the upcoming summer of the non-governed love!

4 Likes

I will be watching this thread. My job takes me into some rather shady areas and the company forbids carrying firearms. They never said anything about body armor.

8 Likes

I do not. Primarily due to the fact that I often get too warm in a T-shirt in the summer time. Second factor would be the expense of a good vest. 3rd factor would be armor that can stop rifle rounds would be even more bulky and uncomfortable.

I would like to own some good level 4 plates someday just in case things get really ugly. I bought some really cheap level 3+ plates awhile back in case I needed them to use at shooting competitions. Got them and the carrier for about $80. But aside from being small and reasonably comfortable they are far from ideal in terms of protection.

6 Likes

I don’t know, I see people talking about their need to carry multiple guns, maybe two or three magazines, one handed reloads while burning through magazines after being shot in the hand but needing to continue their running gunfight…it seems to me that body armor in case you get shot in the torso would be a fantastic thing to have in that situation, I figure some here would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

I know there are some very concealable soft armors out there that will stop your typical .380, .32, 9mm, .40, .45 from penetrating at least. It’s also, in most states at least, wearable all kinds of places even where guns themselves aren’t allowed. And it’s not super expensive, a lot of pistols, that a lot of us have extras of, cost more than soft armor would. And rifle threats are EXTREMELY rare.

I have gear of this nature at home for HD but personally not for daily wear…at this point in time…but it’s worth considering having that option I think

5 Likes

Nope.
My life style doesn’t match with wearing extra stuff.
Awareness works better than wearing body armor.

7 Likes

It’s not really an either or.

Awareness also works better than a gun. :wink:

6 Likes

Precisely…
But carrying the gun is not as inconvenient as wearing body armor.

It’s a matter of choice. Someone may think about it as a risk, not wearing body armor… so I’m taking that risk avoiding situations to need it.

4 Likes

Curious.

You choose to avoid situations that need body armor. Why do you not choose to avoid situations that need a gun?

That is clearly not the case, but, if we apply logic to it…just avoid the situation to begin with, you don’t need any of it. Clearly, you don’t always have the choice of avoidance, no matter how hard to try.

Your answer boils down to “inconvenient”, which is an honest answer and I think the bottom line answer for basically every person who carries a gun but not body armor. Body armor is too uncomfortable and inconvenient.

3 Likes

I chose to avoid situations that need a gun as well - that was the first thing changed in my life few years ago when I decided to own and carry a firearm.
I’m not going to sacrifice the comfort of my everyday life wearing body armor. And that is the answer for the question asked :

Do you EDC body armor?

I don’t know how to explain it more clearly…

• I don’t drive armored vehicle, I use regular car
  • I don’t wear helmet, I wear cap during sunny days and warm hat in winter time
  • I don’t live in bulletproof apartment in Chicago, I live in peaceful neighborhood 40 miles away

All these above are my choices to live MY life. I do everything to keep myself and my Family safe avoiding time, places and people that may interfere with our life style.

4 Likes

I am just a little confused. You don’t wear body armor because you choose to avoid situations where you need it.

You also choose to avoid situations that need a gun.

If I follow correctly, that means you also do not carry a gun?

I thought it was a matter of comfort and convenience (as I am sure it is for almost everyone), but, you seem to disagree with that assessment.

:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

@Nathan57 … I think you are overthinking a lot of posts, not only at this thread.

I just gave you the simple answer for a simple questions:

Q: Do you EDC body armor?
A: Nope

Q: If not, why not?
A: because it is not comfortable for me and to keep myself not to be shot, I’m avoiding situations to be shot. (it doesn’t mean the same : I’m not carrying the firearm)

2 Likes

If it was comfortable, would you wear it? Why or why not?

2 Likes

Answering for myself, if it was comfortable and not hot I would absolutely wear it. I’d likely never need it but would sure want to be wearing it if I ever did.

Which is the same logic I use for carrying a spare mag which I don’t find to be uncomfortable.

3 Likes

One great option for having armor as part of your edc is by getting a backpack armor panel. If you’re not familiar with that it is essentially just an armor plate that slides into your backpack in the laptop compartment. If you carry a backpack to work or in your daily life it is a great option versus a full plate carrier or vest. They are also TSA approved so you can have it in your carry-on if you travel a lot. I personally have a couple from DFNDR Armor and Angel Armor in a few different bags as well as in my wife’s backpack that she uses for work.

Also, something important to be aware of is that unfortunately body armor has an expiration date so be sure to keep an eye on that as well.

Here are a few links to some good options for both backpack armor, as well as plates:

https://angelarmor.com/products/ally-one/

6 Likes

If I’d get access to regular garment which is bulletproof - yes, I will wear it.
As I mentioned - for me it’s a matter of sacrifice - you either use uncomfortable body armor (which in my case may even disallow to do certain jobs) or wear regular outfit and live the way that you don’t need it.

2 Likes

I only wear mine when I’m on the job. Not paranoid enough to wear it in civvies (yet).

Where did I get mine? SafeLife Defense. Best soft armor in my opinion.

5 Likes

I wear soft armor (Integral Armor, Level IIIA, OneVest Military System) when teaching my group “first time shooters” classes and during personal instruction. It wasn’t that hard to get used to, and when you are repeatedly being flagged by new shooters it does provide a certain degree of comfort. For the most part it is undetectable by a casual observer.

4 Likes

I do not. The main reason is because I don’t own any.
I’m neither for or against, around where I live it’s getting to be more attractive, the homeless population has exploded and they are way more aggressive than they have been in the past. I have thought about at least Kevlar that will stop a knife since most of the homeless druggies have knives and only a few of them have guns (I suspect they sell their guns for dope dollars).

3 Likes

That is an important thing to keep in mind. Many bullet proof vests are not rated to stop knives.

4 Likes