Body Armor

I recently invested in Safelife Defense body armor and immediately suffered from buyers remorse. Not because the quality of the product is lacking because it it not. The product is superbly made. This is not concelable, but instead is a tactical vest similar to the kind worn by police. The monetery investment was considerable.

My primary motivation for the purchase was protection in the event of a SHTF situation. Civil unrest, natural disaster, where I might be in the position of having to protect the perimeter of my property.

Has anyone else invested in body armor? Thoughts?

3 Likes

:slightly_smiling_face:
Iā€™m not waiting for End Of The Worldā€¦ if it comes, nothing can help meā€¦
For me as the civilian, living a normal life, Body Armor is not necessary. If itā€™s not concealable it doesnā€™t give any advantages.
Itā€™s easier to learn how to use cover during gunfight instead of wearing body armor or keeping it in every closetā€¦
These are my thoughtsā€¦

4 Likes

Nice! Interested in this thread and sitting in the background. Iā€™ve been on and off again thinking of this one. Like to read yā€™allā€™s opinions!

1 Like

Hereā€™s a photo

2 Likes

Check laws in the state you live. If the time comes for SHTF situation I personally will not be out involved in it, since my main focus/concern is mine and my families safety first. Thatā€™s my two cents. For my current employment as a first responder healthcare provider, I can wear a concealable vest if I want to and choose not to. If you prefer a more concealable armor check out these other companies. I do have experience with armor and currently deciding whether I want to invest again into buying another. Here is 6 other companies that have concealable armor.

2 Likes

Ive already made the purchase which is legal in my State and I actually spent a tremendous amount of time researching before deciding on both the style and the manufacturer. Im in Florida, where the threat of natural disaster looms every hurricane season. In future events, like in past events, my priority was keeping my family secure and indoors while patroling and posting on my own property to protect against those who use natural disasters as an oportunity to take advantage of the lack of electricity and distracted first responders.

1 Like

Unless you want to shell out a fortune youā€™re not going to find any Level IIIA + armor that wills top rifles bullets that I know of.

For that kind of ā€œstoppageā€ you also need both rifle plates and trauma pads because with that kind of energy even if it doesnā€™t penetrate with only soft armor the trauma can break bones, rupture organs and major vessels and render you unable to respond/exit, or taking the room temperature challenge.

Even if youā€™re limiting your protection to handguns, the affordable concealable soft armor often isnā€™t enough to prevent serious trauma even if it does stop the round.

1 Like

If it makes you feel any better I think I may have the same vest in a different color or one very similar to it with both rifle plates soft armor and trauma pads.

After an incident we had with a class on an open, uncontrolled, public range near Ft. Worth my wife put her foot down and said either I buy it and wear it, or I never teach on that range or one similar again.

I agreed and before I could buy it, she bought it for either my birthday or Christmas. Some guys marry pretty well.

3 Likes

Good stuff. Im an RSO at a private range myself and I have seen a few things there that have made me think about wearing it there too.

1 Like

Iā€™m going to have to dig and find the name of the ammo, but as we go forward weā€™re going to find more and more handgun calibers capable of defeating body armor. Ballistics technology is moving faster than body armor technology. I watched a video of 9mm rounds defeating body armor rated to stop all common handgun calibers. It did not penetrate body armor designed to stop rifle calibers though.

Give me a few to find the info on the ammo.

1 Like

Dont have it yet, plan on getting both something like what you got and concealable.
Some of the training Iā€™ve been to lately some of the teachers wear itā€¦ havenā€™t decided if Iā€™m going to or not, or what the reasons are to choose each optionā€¦ still processing that.
Re: SHTF, yes. I work 800 miles from home, and Iā€™ve got to get there to protect me and mine. Iā€™ve got the get home kit in the truck, and the fuel tanks to get me there in one go (130+gallons). If it all goes somewhere in a handbasket, and I decide early enough to head home, thatā€™ll work fine and Iā€™ll be home the next day. If I have to get out and walk, itā€™ll take a lot longer. In either case Iā€™d like to be wearing something thatā€™ll help add some insurance.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve debated getting soft armor for ā€œjust in caseā€. I think pistol rounds would be the most common threat in any sort of SHTF situation, but that may vary depending on where you live. The main thing keeping me from investing is that they typically expire after X years, so the prospect of buying a thing and having it sit in a closet un-used for years and then buying another one to replace it just sort of gnaws at me ĀÆ_(惄)_/ĀÆ

What I have invested in is soft armor for backpacks. I carry a backpack to/from work every day with a laptop (and other misc junk) and tossing a armor insert into the bag behind the laptop costs me nothing. My wife is a grad student so I bought her one and tossed it into her backpack as well. Theyā€™re ~1/4" thick and less than a pound so itā€™s hardly noticeable and in the event of some sort of active shooter (most use handguns) theyā€™ll be right at hand.

1 Like

I would not allow that guy on any range I had control of just because of his shirt.

As for the ammo I would not expect it to remain legal for very long. If it is ever used in a shooting by a bad guy vs cop weā€™re going to see a huge national outcry aganst ā€œcop killer bulletsā€ again and we may be back to hard cast lead only by the time they are done.

1 Like

Velocity and not mass is what penetrates soft armor. Level IIIA will stop a one ounce slug along with a .44 magnum bullet but there are a few specialty 9mm rounds that push almost 2000 fps and level IIIA protects up to around 1600 fps. The thing is that armor is not designed to defend against ammo enthusiasts. Its used to protect against common thugs who dont carry rounds that exceed 1600 fps. If I really wanted the extra insurance, for about $165.00 I could add rifle plates to the rig.

3 Likes

I think proper fitting for women becomes more challenging. I have a friend who is a female deputy who told me she is on her third carrier and not happy with this one either. I believe the one she has now is made by Citizens Armor and she paid a pretty penny for it.

1 Like

Thats true but the elephant in the room is that fact that i have seen 20 year old ā€œexpiredā€ armor perform flawlessly. Im not suggesting that you should go beyond the manufacturers suggested expiration date, but as for me, once it expires I will replace it when I am able to without a sense of urgency.

3 Likes

Been looking at SLD body armor. As a CERT community member Iā€™m thinking of the tactical vest is safety green.

1 Like

@Pepper they have a scarification guarantee make the carrier return for the concealable vest.

1 Like

Im happy with the Tactical style vest. Allows for great customization. I had actually ordered the concealable one first but decided to change that.

2 Likes

yeah, Iā€™m guessing thatā€™s going to be an issue - not all of us are build to wear flat hard plates well. :woman_facepalming:

1 Like