Body Armor

@Pepper that is a valid point, and I’ll take it into consideration.
I’ve seen lots of reviews/videos of people testing brand-new armor, but I’ve never seen any against older or expired armor which makes me a bit wary. Do you know of any publicly available tests done? I’m sure I’m not the only one who’d be interested in that.

1 Like

This is one example of many that can be searched on YouTube.

2 Likes

I have Spartan Armor Level 3a concealable

and

Tactical Scorpion Level 3+ Extreme. I would not purchase any other brand in it’s category!
https://tacticalscorpiongear.com/tactical-scorpion-level-iii-extreme-pe-body-armor-10x12-plate.html

I’m currently waiting for:

Pepper for SHTF you should consider that M193 will defeat AR500 Steel, M855 Defeats HDPE, and M855A1 will defeat both, these are all 5.56 rounds. Tactical Scorpion Armor (Extreme) will defeat all of the above and 7.62 rounds as well. I had to resale my previous armor purchases of what I classified a SHTF armor, after discovering the ballistic incapabilities.

3 Likes

Good info right there

2 Likes

No, no we won’t see a national outcry if a cop is killed. More and more John Q. Public is anti-LEO. It’s unfortunate, it’s ridiculous, it’s unacceptable IMO. But it is what it is.

There will only be an outcry if the media chooses to make a deal out of it. They will not since they are focused on “mean tweets”.

I posted that vid not to discourage anyone but to help them make informed decisions. That is all the post was meant for. As far as his shirt, well he owns his own shop and range…

2 Likes

The whole 90’s era freak out about “cop killer bullets” I think shows us otherwise.

While there’s a big anti cop sentiment with many on the left their favorite target since the 70’s has been gun rights including ammunition.

1 Like

You did exactly what you were suppose to do; inform!

With the advances of body armor technology being what it is today, law enforcement has no business wearing old-tech Level 3a armor.

What is a LE officer life worth; at the least it should be $300? Day one on the job I would be wearing Level 3a plates from DFNDR ARMOR that weigh less than 2lbs combined; at reasonable price of $300! These plates stop 2100fps FN 5.7 rounds. However, not been tested against the Fort Scott, but I believe the armor would defeat that ammo easily.

I respect Law Enforcement 100%, but at some point LE needs to exercise some since of self preservation. If I know what’s out there, they should know what’s out there, and when they find out, it would take nothing more than one security detail at a night club to pay for an upgrade of advance body armor.

So for me, the only big deal is that it appears law enforcement officials aren’t informed of advances of street ballistics and the armor to defeat them. And I am!

2 Likes

800 miles? Good Lord that’s a long haul

1 Like

@Pepper Thanks for that link. Related videos showed several more with folks testing other expired armors with all of them working. It has definitely given me some food for thought

2 Likes

Yes it is :unamused: But it’s letting me pay off my farm, and that’s a good thing.
Just hope I never need to walk it. Especially not in winter.

1 Like

I think you might be just a little late either getting home or to work and probably both. :wink:

1 Like

@wildrose… more than a little! I figure if the S every really hit the F, it’d take me 45 days to get home on horseback (if I could wrangle a horse and tack) in the summer, and probably twice that on foot. And if it was winter… :scream: … yeah, that would just really, really suck.

Steal a good walking horse or gaited mule. I can cover 45-60 miles a day on my half walker/trotters for a week or more at a time if the terrain isn’t too rough. With all the field trialing and hound hunting in MO and TN you’re surrounded by them.

1 Like

@Wildrose - it’s wall-to-wall Missouri Foxtrotters at home :smiley:… up in MI, not so much :thinking:
I figure the average horse has 20 miles a day in him/her, especially if he’s just been parked in a pasture, and the first few days I’m not likely to have that many miles in my seatbones :flushed:

Of course, if I was already home, I’d just get one of my nice comfy draft horses out for the trip down to the neighbors :wink:

Lots of Walkers and trotters up there too actually, they are quite popular with pleasure/trail riders.

Find a couple of gaited mules though and spend a few days in a national park and they may ruin you for life.

Aside from their other benefits you can ride a good mule for about twice as many years as most horses will live.

1 Like

In that case please carry on… lol, that would be a bit of a hike.

I just started looking into L3a+ armor… big surprise was it expires, has 5 year shelf life. What??? I guess if baby car seats expire, why not bulletproof vests.

I too have started looking at BA for myself and my wife. My biggest dilemma at this point is flexible concealed or tactical plate carrier. I can see use for each, but funding for one. One thing I will not is that there seems to have been quite an improvement in systems since this thread was started a year ago.

I’ve been looking to adopt a couple of draft horses here in TN. Can you offer any advice?

I got AR500 Armor’s concealment armor. I wear it every day. It’s Level 3A. If/when I decide to get a Tactical plate carrier, I’ll probably stick to AR500 armor, and get their Level 4 steel plates. Steel doesn’t have a shelf-life. My Rimelig pads are supposed to last for five years, I think. They have an expiration date on the back.

My main problem with my armor is that I slouched all the time growing up, so my right shoulder blade doesn’t sit in quite the right place apparently, so it hurts at the corner where it sticks out. I’ll take the ache over a bullet hole.