Deep pockets

Not massive tax hikes.
When buying pants I always look at the pockets as I pocket carry.
I found some Orvis cargo shorts at Costco with exceptionally deep front pockets, made in Indonesia not the PRC, About $18 a copy.

4 Likes

Good deal.
Orvis makes great quality stuff.
Iā€™m using their quarter-zip sweater, also made in Indonesia. Great product.

When buying garment I always look for ā€œmade inā€:
Indonesia
Vietnam
Pakistan
Columbia

These countries make best stuff.

2 Likes

I like deep pockets, and lots of them. Iā€™ve had good luck with Wrangler cargo shorts. I am going to try a pair of 5.11 cargo shorts. I like the added small pockets for items like knives and flashlights.

1 Like

I find you sometimes have to reach too far for the pistol if the pockets are too deep. I actually have some pants that I want to shorten the pockets on to make it so casually placing my hand in my pocket puts it on the grip without having to dip my shoulder to reach it.

1 Like

Duluth Trading company! Those are the only leg wear I wear. Pants, shorts, they make the same ā€˜modelā€™ in both so my pocket arrangement doesnā€™t have to change due to the season. You can get denim jeans or various styles of khakis from cargo work pants to casual dinner wear.
Plus some great commercialsā€¦

1 Like

Thanks!
Jeans with deep pockets have long been an issue.
Iā€™ll check 'em out

1 Like

@John292, so I have a question. Iā€™ve tried pocket carry with a small polymer-frame semiauto. My problem is, even with a small gun, it tends to pendulum back-and-forth as I walk. What do you carry?

A S&W Model 640 in a Bianchi 152. Itā€™s a wide holster with the rough side out and two leather ā€œhornsā€ and stays in place very well (for me, anyway)

That sounds like more of an issue with the pants you are wearing than the firearm. I often pocket carry either an LCP or P365 and they stay put against my leg without swinging around. You want pants that will hide the outline of the pistol somewhat but not so baggy that the pockets flap around.

When I pocket carry, I carry a Ruger EC9S in a pocket holster. It works great for most of the cargo shorts I have (mostly bought at Sams Club). I agree that the pockets need to be wide / deep enough, but ā€œtoo deepā€ makes it awkward to draw, and letā€™s the gun flop around too much.
However, the pockets on most of the jeans I have have more narrow pocket openings, making it hard to draw from the pocket. Iā€™m going to check out the Duluth and 5.11 pants. Thanks for the info!

Exactly my configuration. Plenty of room in my Wrangler jeans. In the winter when Iā€™m wearing a longer winter coat, I can tuck it all in a back pocket, which would be quicker to pull if needed.

I donā€™t like the pocket draw from jeans. It snags up too easily. I also have an IWB holster for my EC9S, and also for my M&P9C. I wear those when I can wear a jacket or baggy shirt. But Winter here in SC has been pretty warm so far this year, so pocket carry still works best on most days.

Agreed - itā€™s not my first choice, either. Only for when I canā€™t wear a shirt or jacket that keeps things hidden.

1 Like

I dont pocket carry (yet), but I like 5.11 Defender Flex jeans (watch out for the ā€œslimā€ version which is skinny jeans), Viktos Operatus XP Jeans (they also make these in tan color which look like slacks), Vertx Defiance Jeans. They all have a little ā€œstretchā€ in them, and EDC oriented so have lots of discrete pockets and the front pockets are what I would consider reasonably deep.