Dealing with a new neighbor

Where I live I would have to ask, what the hell is a neighbor?

4 Likes

I respect their wishes while on their property and would not carry.

What you might consider is once you have established a friendly relationship reciprocate and invite them over to your place where you are carrying thus, without offense you create an opportunity to start a conversation.

The biggest hurdle we have is that for the vast majority of people in the US their only real reference for people and firearms is the crime they see reported on the nightly news. Thus, they logically begin to always associate guns with criminals.

If we want to bring more people over to our side of the debate we simply need to work to expose as many as possible of them, in the least confrontational manner we can to normal, average people going about their daily lives carrying as responsibly armed Americans.

2 Likes

Someone that lives a half mile or more from me. :laughing:

1 Like

I agree with your approach, especially if you live in a red flag state. The least amount of people that know you carry the better in my opinion.

1 Like

Speaking of which there should be serious felony penalties for anyone filing a false complaint on a red flag.

Why so severe? Because of the level of response the person accused is going to get from LE.

Same with “Swatting”.

1 Like

Yeah, been on the wrong side of that one. :rage:

1 Like

Someone tried that with me years ago. The sheriff was a good friend so he called me and asked me who I might be having a conflict with that would be inclined to do such a thing.

They did a little investigating and guess who got raided? :rofl:

1 Like

Wish it’d worked that way for us. I know which neighbor called it in, he was way better politically connected than we were. Bad, BAD attitudes on the LEOs involved - 4 different agencies, one of them federal, and a black helicopter in my yard. :scream: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:
For EIGHT hours. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:
Just one of many reasons I don’t ever need to live in CA again.

That’s one of the reasons it’s hard for me to even consider leaving the state honestly although NM still has a whole lot of appeal to me for many reasons.

1 Like

I believe on all levels anyone filing false claims should get the jail time and financial penalties that the person they accused would have received if they were to be found guilty.

1 Like

First, I would have asked if the felt comfortable “around” guns as well as with guns. If they did not feel comfortable “around” guns, I would have called them on their BS. They don’t respect the rights people who legally carry, if they are not comfortable being “around” people who legally carry.

I don’t entertain neighbors living a cognitive dissonance existence. Therefore, after that conversation I would not expect an invitation to their cookout, and they most definitely would not be invited to mine.

1 Like

Exactly, especially if there wasn’t a previous conversation.

1 Like

I would have the conversation before attending any event on their property. And I would most definitely respect their wishes and not attend and event on their property. One wouldn’t know if the host or a guest of the party had dealings with a person(s) who would randomly target the event. I would not put myself or my family in that situation. If they respect the legal me, they would not have a problem; IMO.

1 Like

You’re nicer than I am, I would at least double the penalties.

2 Likes

@WildRose

Playing nice for the internet…

2 Likes

I have a sort of similar twist. Girlfriends mother is vehemently anti, and very vocal about it. I still disarm if I go to her house, which has become very infrequent. Instead, she is invited out to mine quite a bit. So, I just turned it around a bit. Funny, as her daughter does the same, as she carries too.

3 Likes

Welcome to the Community, @MarkinMT! That sounds like a good solution to having to unarm at the girlfriend’s mother’s house. What are her mom’s biggest issues with firearms? Any chance of educating her or getting her to the range?

1 Like

I respect your decision, however if someone ask me to disarm I politely decline to go to their home. I have family members that know I carry and I have helped them become comfortable with a firearm around my 4 y/o nephew. I have taught him what he needs to know about firearms. They have become thankful for my contribution as they didn’t know how to teach their son.

1 Like

Liberal Hypocrite. Yes she has gone to the range with us, yes she has a pistol of her own. We also shoot competitively. No, she is not changing her mind. Whatever the extreme Democratic side says, she does. No questions asked. She is surrounded by people that CCW.

@robert44 Yes, I could have declined. I chose not to, and turned it around instead. If I lived somewhere else, perhaps I would have made different choices.

2 Likes

I agree completely. The choices we make concerning family are often at odds with how we may act with others.

Regards

1 Like