Dash Camera

I have had a dash cam for two years. They are cheap and widely available. Eg. Amazon and eBay.
I have used my recordings with insurance companies twice.
Once when a woman admitted to me at the scene that she was at fault for hitting me. Then several hours later claimed to her insurance company the accident was my fault. I showed her insurance adjuster my dashcam video and they paid me (more than) in full, as well as dumped the lady for filing a false claim. I am pretty sure that is a federal offense as well(?).
The attached video was used to show that I was… going the speed limit, I had no options to change lanes, it was not the fault of the vehicle ahead of me, and that I was not following too closely. It was simply a damage claim. The camera is actually 1080p but this .gif is small an a LOT less clear than the original 60mg file.

If you do not have a dashcam I highly suggest you get one.

BTW… if the accident is your fault, pull out the SD card immediately and swallow it. :blush:

mp4-5DAB8EB9

EDIT: I guess the video idea didn’t work as planned, but you get the general message here.

2 Likes

I know every taxi in Vegas have dash cams and I assume they are required to do so. I do not currently have one but have thought about it many times. Just like police in-car and body cameras they can be used to exonerate you or, in some cases, if you forget to swallow the SD card, prove your fault. (Although I do not recommend you swallow the card as that can be considered spoliation of evidence.) I can tell you that if I did have a dash cam, it WOULD NOT record anything in my car, video or sound.

2 Likes

@MikeBKY The dash cam is 100% my property and not a requirement to drive. It is mine. Only I know if it even works or was powered on. No private ownership laws regulate the use of or disposal of my dashcam or any components of it. If I am hungry I can at any time legally eat my SD card, the power chord, the screen, or even the mount.
And I turned off the mic the day I bought it. It would be crazy to record what is said when I drive. I would be Red Flagged in a heartbeat. Because in Dallas… people drive like total s€}t.

BTW… this is just good humor fun. :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

I agree with you on the ownership and use issue. I will tell you that I have been involved in cases where a driver had a dash cam and the video was unavailable or unreadable. We spent thousands of dollars on forensic experts that were able to determine that the camera was on and operational at the time of the wreck and that the owner had attempted to erase the SD card. The case involved a fatality and another person with two broken femurs, broken wrist, ankle, internal injuries, …

2 Likes

I’m seeing these used more and more on Youtube and they can certainly be a great way to keep yourself out of trouble but as Mike points out if you are in the wrong they can be used to hang you as well.

What cracks me up however is how often the person in the car with the camera often is at fault but is completely convinced they are in the right.

3 Likes
1 Like

@MikeBKY I can assure you, I would never tamper with evidence. I am well insured and do not want to go to prison. I would not eat my SD card… unless it was wrapped in bacon. Then… no jury would convict me. :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Mike, if I read correctly, you are okay with dashcams so long as the audio is off and it records only activity outside your vehicle?

1 Like

I am not implying that you would but wanted to make sure the community understands that there are potential consequences if that happens.

2 Likes

I am OK with a dashcam in my car as long as there is no audio or video inside my car. It is a personal decision but there are times my language would make a drunken sailor blush.

3 Likes

There seems to be a few legal issues with this. Like why did you turn your mic off? Are you doing something illegal? There is more than enough room on today’s SD cards to include voice as well.
Perhaps this Dash Cam industry needs strict laws, government regulation, and federal registration?
[Everyone please google the word “satirical” now].

2 Likes