Could you Conceal a full-size M&P 5” barrel?

I bought a 5” barrel full size M&P 2.0 a few years ago. I really like the gun. It was S&W submission to compete for the new military handgun a few years ago (P320 won). I did not buy the gun for carry. I’m making this topic mainly for fun. But could this work as a winter carry option?

(This is not my model, but it’s the same size)
https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/performance-center-mp-40-m20-5-ported-barrel-and-slide

3 Likes

For fun :+1:
With OWB or shoulder holster it might be cool… like modern Dirty Harry :laughing:

But in real World I would not carry it. I guess my draw stroke would be twice longer than usual :grimacing:

2 Likes

Maybe if I gained 100 lbs.

2 Likes

:joy: I’m working on it :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4 Likes

Never tried a S+W but I have on occasion tossed a XD Tactical in 45 in my belt (no holster) and worn it. At 6’-2", 185lbs with a 32" waist it can be done, big shoulders and a loose flannel shirt help.

Cheers,

Craig6

3 Likes

In the winter time you can carry at in a shoulder holster, I believe the option such as 4 o’clock OWB would work.

2 Likes

Why not, with a shoulder rig the barrel lenght does not play a large part.
I carry my 5 inch 1911 in a shoulder rig when I am driving for any long distance as it is easy to get to if I have to.

Larry

4 Likes

Aren’t the 5" M&P’s and Glocks the same size as a 1911?

I think it depends on your clothes. I find that even with a bulky sweater, my FS pistol grips tend to stick out… particularly when active. In the winter, I sometimes carry a 2 3/4" S&W 66 revolver with Pachmayr Compac grips. I wear it at 3 o’clock in an OWB holster and my elbow blocks the printing… but if I have to reach for something high or low it will print. A shoulder holster with my FS M2.0 40 looks like I’m carrying a small dictionary under each arm. I wear a bulky winter jacket on top of the sweater for both modes of carry, but that’s only when I know I’m not going to be walking around in public without my jacket.

2 Likes

I carry my XDM 4.5 .45 IN a Cross Breed holster at 4:00’ you will need a pant size larger and a pair
of spenders help.
I carry my full size 1911 in an old military style shoulder holster in winter, I have posted pics of this
before.
The Cross Breed is harder to get at with a heavy coat on but the shoulder is easier, just unzip your coat. :+1:

4 Likes

My carry gun has 1 inch less barrel, and just a little shorter grip. Yes, that could be concealed, especially in the winter. I’ve been known to leave the house, in winter, carrying a 6 inch GP100. It’s overall length is 11.5 inches. Concealed under a Carhartt coat, OWB.

5 Likes

Can I? Yes. I am a big guy. Would I? Probably not as it just wouldn’t be comfortable. I’ve CC my FN-FNX Tactical with red dot. Not a comfortable carry gun but I do use it for IDPA. So there’s that.

4 Likes

" yes i probably could with no problem at 6’5",/6’6" 245 I have room for a pistol that size

4 Likes

I bet you could carry it in a cross draw holster. I’ve gone to a cross draw holster and like it much better. If it was good enough for Wild Bill Hickok, I thought I’d try it.

Wright Leather Works makes some great leather holsters. They might make one.

5 Likes

@Robert355 Welcome to the community. I use my WW2 style 1911 holster, I love it. :+1:

1 Like

Welcome to forum. I checked out the Wright Leather Works site, nice holsters. Thanks for the site information.

Larry

2 Likes

I think I may actually be able to AIWB this gun. I Usually carry a shield, but AIWB with a shield leaves the barrel digging into my thigh. I actually think the full-size gun may be more comfortable. My biggest issue with AIWB is I refuse to practice holstering in this position. I don’t mind holstering anywhere else. But Holstering is not really important. I can pull the holster out, put the gun in the holster than place it to my belt.

1 Like

I have been carrying a Colt Competition 1911, 5" Officers … in the summer, IWB in shorts … although I just discovered my sweat is attaching to it, so I just ordered a new OWB to move it away from my skin …

I bet your M&P would be no problem. Also, my 1911 is nearly identical in footprint (grip angle is slightly different, and I’m sure there’s millimetre differences) as my Glock 34 Gen5.

3 Likes

What brand holsters do you recommend for this? I’m thinking of getting an OWB IWB for this Gun as well. Sweat is not as big a deal for me with this gun.

3 Likes

I carry a 5" 1911 iwb often. I’m 6’4 though

2 Likes

I carry a M&P9 M2.0 Compact 4". That, for me, is about as large a barrel as I’m comfortable with, but that’s me. I have a full size for competition (I gotta get out there though - SUPER rusty [me, not my weapons]).

Like they say (or maybe it’s just me) - Carry what’s Comfortable

3 Likes