Could a veteran police officer really have mistaken a pistol for a Taser?

Welcome to the family brother @Jon69 and God bless you.

Unintended quintessences that now days never seem to be injected into the debate, we had good intentions, however that is not always the right equation.

Until you are in her shoes and in the heat of battle, don’t even ask that question.

7 Likes

I believe also training may be an issue. I am also curious how they carry both in this department. The standard is opposite hip from service weapon. How do they do it in MN? Also the heat of the moment can cause problems too but ultimately the officer will be called on it. If the perp did not try to escape he would still be alive to talk about it but that is another argument.

2 Likes

The same error was made in 2016 by a rapid transit officer in Oakland, California 4. The issue is not the conspicuous difference (at least in good light) in appearance between a pistol and a Taser. Nearly all law enforcement who are right handed, holster their pistol on their right hip and their Taser holstered in cross draw on their left hip. Cross draw is the problem: making the strong side memory distinguish in a crisis the difference in function. Right hand is lethal and right hand is non-lethal. That’s the problem with cross draw. In my some 5 years with a sheriff’s posse as an armed medic on warrant details, traffic stops, personal protection, and medical calls at crowded situations, I holstered my lethal device strong side and my non-lethal device support side but the non-lethal device I drew and operated with my support hand training, not with my strong hand training.

1 Like

As a retired police officer of 46 years and a firearms and Taser instructor it most definitely can and has happened before. As explained about strong and weak hand use can effect it and some carry on vest on strong side, another potential for disaster.

2 Likes

Welcome to the family brother @Larry158 and God bless you.

We cannot dismiss defunding the police out of hand. If they are talking about doing away with the police or simply removing some sum of money then yes, that is short bus dumb. However, the more nuanced ideas deserve consideration. Should highly trained,over worked LEO have to respond to every drugged out guy running down the street naked? Or should those resources go to mental and drug health folks with a big net? It still amazes me that in many jurisdictions in lieu of animal control they call overworked LEO to deal with raccoons, snakes, and cats in trees. Anyone on this post who claims they would not lawyer up if their son/daughter was killed by LEO for a misdemeanor failure to appear, an expired tag, and an AIR FRESHENER, is a liar. LE is a profession where mistakes in the use of deadly force cannot be tolerated under any circumstances. Just like we do not tolerate human error from our airline pilots. That is the job and if you can’t handle it there are plenty of towns that need animal control folks

3 Likes

Let’s not forget that all of these situations were a result of resisting arrest. If you don’t want a cop to get physical or point a gun at you then follow their orders and show respect. The world is full of cause and effect and there are consequences for actions.

4 Likes

Welcome to the family brother @Steven202 and you are in the right place at the right time.

No, they were not ALL the result of resisting arrest. Many of the victims were non-compliant, not resisting. BUT there have been plenty where the victims were completely compliant, just scared and confused. And there were others where the cops showed up at a homeowner’s house after they called 911 due to home invasion, etc. and the cops showed up and shot the homeowners because they had a gun in their hand inside their own garage, on their own porch, or standing inside their own living room. Since you replied specifically to me, I assume your post was a reply to the things I mentioned instead of the stuff currently dominating media focus. The retired COL in California who was shot and killed in his own home and another senior citizen on the East Coast within the past few years were both killed inside their own homes by responding police officers in the middle of the night in response to home invasions. Those officers were given a pass for their deadly mistakes. Now reverse the scenario: homeowner kills responding officer “by mistake.” We all know how that would go down! It’s a problem
a systemic problem.

With that said, I am near the front of the pack promoting the standard that resisting a LEO should get your hurt and might get you killed. This current lack of respect and self-restraint toward LE is extremely dangerous for everyone and corrosive to civilization.

1 Like

Without trying to stir this up nor be an asshole
 how did anyone else react when they were in her situation? Which (and I say this with zero knowledge) could have been the first time she ever drew her gun in the line of duty
 ie a time where your gonna revert to your lowest level of training and instinctive actions.

1 Like

I had read she was a year on the force. But when under pressure and with adrenaline pumping anything can happen.

2 Likes

Nonsense, anybody can and do make mistakes, especially when fighting with an asshole combative criminal. Obviously, you try to eliminate mistakes but they are going to happen.

3 Likes

You ever look through a bag of crayons to find the orange one and after you reach in grab it and pull it out to find you grabbed the blue one by mistake?

3 Likes

Entirely likely. Very few police officers who have 26 years on the force have spent all 26 years in patrol or investigations. She was probably yanked out of some administrative position and ordered to go for a ridealong because there was nobody else available. I see this as fallout from the defund-the-police movement.

2 Likes

She was a veteran officer with 26 years on the job. Stress can cause mistakes.

5 Likes

Wow. 26 years! Muscle memory should have been in control then. Good point.

2 Likes

Under Absolutely Know Stress at All, Have YOU ever found that you couldn’t get Into Your Car in a Crowded Parking Lot ONLY TO FIND OUT THAT IT’S NOT YOUR CAR? If YOU can’t even tell what is or ISN’T YOUR CAR, UNDER NO STRESS, I think that you can, Under Stress, Mistake a BLACK TASER (Watch the Video) FOR a Service Weapon. And, I’ve EXPECTED THIS ever since they were being CONSIDERED FOR ADOPTION!!!

2 Likes

I’m Betting that Most of the “Respondant’s” here have almost never watched video’s from YouTube about people who Won’t Follow Police Instructions and then Have a WHOLE LOT OF TROUBLE WITH THE POLICE. Here is a Link that “Show’s Just How Stressful” these situations can be. (217) Man Arrested for Impersonating a Cop During Wife’s Arrest - YouTube

1 Like