Cops Seek Suspects Who Turn Fender Benders Into Carjackings

How would you respond?

3 Likes

Looking at the location I probably would have driven away after getting bumped.
I definitely would wait and have them exit their car first, to see who the person(s) are.

Of course I don’t drive a high dollar car where I worry about a scratch on the bumper either :smirk:

4 Likes

I had it happen to me at a traffic light around 11:30 at night. I jumped out of the car, went to the left side of the street instead of checking the vehicle and uncovered and gripped my firearm. They sped away. At the time that was all that I knew to do. Today, given the same circumstances, I would have done the same thing. Because they were still in the car, but I was poised. Btw, I did shut down the vehicle and removed the keys.

3 Likes

I guess that might work if you’re 100% sure it is carjackers and not someone texting and driving. Otherwise that could be considered brandishing and might appear that way to bystanders even if the people in the car were trying to carjack you.

Think I would prefer to stay in my vehicle so I could drive away if they got out of the car in a threatening manor.

5 Likes

Alot of times in a situation like this, you hope it doesn’t happen when you’re boxed in with nowhere to drive away, then what.

3 Likes

To be honest, all I could see was two dark silhouettes that appeared to have dreadlocks in their hair, driving a (I believe gold 90s era Crown Vic. They didn’t get out, and I didn’t have to present. But I can tell you what the physiological effects were, and I found them surprising. Which is another reason I latched onto the USCCAs Curriculum. Because I’m a witness.

4 Likes

I generally do my best to leave a way out and am fortunate enough to live in a place where I only occasionally have to deal with traffic. If I couldn’t drive forward I would have no problem driving backwards into their vehicle to make space if they presented a clear threat.

In the one attempted carjacking I had while I was in my vehicle, I made it clear to the person standing in the way that I would run them over if their partner kept trying to sneak around the back of my vehicle.

2 Likes

Pretty sure here in AZ you don’t have to present to be considered brandishing. Just exposing and/or placing you hand on the weapon meets the definition if you aren’t facing a clearly imminent threat.

3 Likes

I did what I knew to do at that time, and given the scene, I would do the same thing today. It was a decision, despite what onlookers may think or have to say, it was a decision that I would have gladly been held accountable for.

2 Likes

I’m not passing judgement. You have to trust your gut in the situation you are in. But I always try my best not to appear to be the aggressor. Wouldn’t want the cops called to respond to someone carrying a firearm matching my description or another CCW holder thinking I’m road raging and going for my pistol because someone bumped into me.

1 Like

Happened couple miles from me, grocery shopper just left the parking lot and was approaching a stop light. She then was rear ended.
AFAIK, never repeated. Our local PD and community sent out a message not in our town.

Couple mistakes could be made.

Rolling the window down -in our case, driver was pepper sprayed before she was robbed
Getting out of your car

Inside your locked car is the safest place to observe before driving away if thugs are armed.

1 Like

Weeelllllll, I could either be a good liberal and car jack the next guy in line, or kick the guy in front of me in the nuts, spin, place two to the chest one in the head, spin and repeat!

Or walk back home with my tail between my legs, hire an attorney and fight with my insurance company who’s been stealing my premium dollars to replace my stolen vehicle and watch my insurance rip me off a second time by increasing my premiums! Funny how that works!

Or I could stick with option one, car jack the next guy.
Bad guy wins, good guy ALWAYS LOSES! No matter which option you choose, we lose!

The other option, never get out of your vehicle! Leave the seen heading right for the nearest police department!

I could be wrong, but carjacking is a forceable felony! However completely legal in blue states!
Plus I realize everyone needs a hobby!

4 Likes

Now what did you just say?! lol

1 Like

@Scott52 Can also call 911 immediately as soon as the encounter occurs.

2 Likes

I took no offense, brother. Thanks for your input.

2 Likes

Since I’ve been in this type of situation, when 911 was called, I was informed and I’m quoting “if you’re not bleeding on the asphalt, and if you’re not blocking the flow of traffic, have a nice day”

2 Likes

How comforting. Wowwww. Okayyy.

1 Like

And some folks wonder why my rhetoric leads to extreme hyperbole, 911 doesn’t work! We are completely on our own. They won’t be there at the gas pump, they won’t be at the grocery store, they won’t be there at your mailbox, they surely won’t be there @ 2:53 in the am when three masked liberals are standing over your bed! They won’t be there when you’re jogging, whether you’re alone in in groups of 25 or 50! They weren’t there on the Moscow Campus, Parkland, Uvalde, do I need to go on? They are never there to PREVENT! No disrespect. I am there to prevent, my head is on a swivel, I take my personal and home security extremely seriously!
With all due respect, I understand the “police” are not required to protect me”! But please don’t tell me I have a choice! The choice I have is the protection of myself and my loved ones! I choose living!
They will always be there, AFTER the incident!
You are your own police department, paramedic and in the worst case scenario, your own judge, jury and executioner! That’s our sole responsibility.

2 Likes

Fortunately, I am able to contrast the bulk of your commentary with positive and more affirming experiences with 911 dispatchers and LEOs. I have had nothing but positive results from 911 dispatchers and with the exception of one encounter; I’ve had nothing but positive experiences with LEOs.

I realize that the dispatcher is essentially the second responder to a critical incident who then dispatches LEOs to given locations with limited information and which places them third on the rung. As an agency they are first responders, but in the crucible of the moment you are the first responder. You are in a cauldron, and you want immediate relief, but until it occurs, or help arrives, you are left to survive. We train so that we better our chances for survival, until help arrives. When help arrives, if there is still a fight, we hand that fight over to them. And if they arrive and the fight is over, then we tell the story and give an account of our actions.

Our training is so that we can sense and avoid confrontations before they occur, or how we can better manage or mitigate them once they do or escape from them altogether. We avoid, deescalate, escape, or defend; or, run, hide, fight; or avoid, deny, defend. All of these protocols have the same thing in mind at their core, only different words or euphemisms are used. Ultimately, we want to make it home.

We are not a militant group of violent extremists looking for an opportunity to bash LE at every opportunity, beat up the world, and turn it upside down. That does nothing for the family that we claim to love and want to protect accept to cause more grief, pain, social alienation, legal jeopardy, financial ruin, and/or moral turpitude. We are responsible law-abiding citizens. We support our communities; we walk circumspectly among our neighbors and govern ourselves in proper accord with all of mankind. And when situations get tight, or circumstances get a little grimy we deal with them based on those merits or demerits alone.

I cannot fault a whole system for the misdeeds of a few, I may want to, but it’s not fair, I cannot regard with disdain an entire institution because my situation happens to be a snapshot in miniature of a greater problem that has be dealt with by the most expedient and efficient and fair means and manner possible. There are many things that I disapprove and disagree with, personally. But when I ask myself, truthfully, “what would I do different if the responsibility were mine?” When the answer comes to me, it usually comes with another question, which is, “why not apply it to your own life and family?” But more often than not, I get nothing. Because I realize that it’s easy to highlight and blame others for what I perceive is not being done, then to help bring about constructive and beneficial solutions for all concerned. Sometimes we are good at being part of the problem rather than taking an active part in problem solving. One way I’ve learned to assist is to not be one of the problems that need solving. So, Mr. Officer…go on about your day and stay safe. I am not your problem, today.

While remaining hopeful that they catch whosoever it is that is trying to take people’s lives from them in attempts to do something sick and heinous to fulfill their fantasy(s), or dastard desires.

Your experiences grip me. Because I’m very familiar with 911 Emergency Communications through training. It’s sad and unfortunate. I’d rather joke and laugh with you over the issues of life, but I will belly ache and cry with you over your pain and suffering too. As for system issues, we do what is our responsibility to do as responsible citizens, which is to protect ourselves, family and homes from not just intruders or assailants or miscreants with a gun, but also from our own destructive mindsets and decisions that can be just as toxic and catastrophic. That’s our sole responsibility.

5 Likes

I’m not even sure why we’re wasting precious time and money looking for criminals, when they are just going to be set free. Unless of course they are a conservative! Law and order is out the window! Even the guy that runs over 50 law enforcement cadets is free. Am I missing something?

I call “her” a him or vis a versa, I’m doing 20 to life! We have a serious problem! The lunatics are running the asylum!

4 Likes