Cops and CHL

Got in a wreck this morning, car is totaled, but not blood or broken bones, we walked or limped away. Anyway, I had my registration, proof of insurance, drivers license and CHL permit in hand when the cops showed up.

The officer was very professional, thanked me for letting him know, and said “don’t show me yours, and I won’t show you mine”. I am required to notify in my state if carrying. Cops were all very professional, and my gun was no issue. My poor car though…

11 Likes

Sorry about your car, glad you’re OK.

9 Likes

Glad it was not a range trip, I have a coat and hunting vest stuck in the bent part of the trunk. Usually have the range bags in there…

4 Likes

Hopefully the other guy has insurance.

When I had my one and only accident the other driver had none and I’m still trying to collect.

5 Likes

:scream: :scream: :scream:

I’m glad your okay bro!

That was pretty cool what the cop said.
I’ve yet to engage since concealed but have been disarmed a few times for there safety! I mean they don’t know who they are dealing with so it’s understandable.

5 Likes

I just picked my Jeep SRT up out the shop (This was before new jeep)
&& guy texting hit my rear-ended going home and for a long time state farm (when I had them, don’t ever recommend them) State farm could not find his insurance to had to pay the deductible and “IF” they found it…I would get reimbursed.

Eventually, they got my money…6 months later and Jeep was in shop AGAIN for a couple of weeks :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Thanks!

Cops here are pretty laid back about CHL. This is at least the third time I have heard the “don’t show me yours and I won’t show you mine” thing.

Just my thoughts, but I think letting them know first off, in a non threatening manner puts them at ease. It took a few minutes for the police to show up, so I had all my stuff ready to hand to them. Might be different if I was digging around the car at a traffic stop.

It is nice to live in an area where the police to not “freak out” over a person legally carrying a gun. Never been ‘disarmed’ but would certainly let them. Cops have a tough job, and we should work with them as responsible gun owners.

6 Likes

I had my Dakota three weeks before she cut across the front of me and I clipped the back of her car. She had no insurance and I only had liability because the truck was 15 years old.

The truck was valued at just under 5K. I have a judgment against her but getting her and her husband to pay is like pulling teeth.

I’ve been able to get about $1300 so far but that was only after sending the sheriff out to seize property.

4 Likes

Why don’t you have her wadges garnished? [I’m assuming she don’t work right?]

3 Likes

Can’t if they don’t make enough.

4 Likes

Believe it or not…
It based on their political view! (crazy and illegal but true}

3 Likes

HA I wish my state were like that…I have two garnishments…sadly…Unpaid debts when my credit was perfect and well…I got laid off, and it took to long to find a job,

Then once behind, filed ch 13 and got laid off again.

I got another job, THEN I filed again, then guess what, _____________!
you guessed it…laid off!

So I’m doing a chapter 7 this time when I have an extra $2,100 filing fee.

2 Likes

But with yours being a judgment for damage, it would not matter if they filed BR
she has to pay it.

2 Likes

OK, so, thumbs up for the COMMUNICATION. Sorry to hear about the car though.

3 Likes

I’m so sorry to hear about the car accident, @Fred_G! How are you feeling today? Whiplash can take a day or two to manifest… :frowning:

6 Likes

Fred, glad you’re OK. Cars can be fixed, people are a bit harder to fix.

While I’m not a scofflaw, I’ve had a dozen or so interactions with LEO’s over the years. I’ve only had one negative encounter, otherwise the vast majority have been professional and polite. In NC we have a duty to inform. Hoping that goes like yours the first time it happens.

3 Likes

Thanks Dawn. Not feeling great, but not near as bad as I could be. Have already been to the Chiro, x rays and all that.

3 Likes

Glad your ok @Fred_G. Most cops respect law abiding citizens, especially when the officers are shown respect.

4 Likes

Kudos on the two way respect! Sorry about your car.
Hope every LEO is like that. I get the impression law enforcement is more respectful of our rights the further south you get.

4 Likes

Here in Texas, you have to present your LTC and Drivers license if stopped.
I have been stopped 3 times over the last 10 years, and each time once they saw my LTC you could see LEO’s stress level go way down. And, each time they asked about my carry and experience and let me off with a smile and a verbal warning.

2 of the times I was going 72 in a 70, these were the times I can only explain that I was profiled, we were going on a road trip/camping and the car was weighted down pretty heavy. Both times we were in a Trafficking Corridor. When they saw me, a white dude, wife, little kid in the back with stuffed animals everywhere, I’m sure that had more to do with it than the LTC.

3 Likes