Cops and CHL

So I was just out in NYC and was driving, and the limo in front of me slammed on its brakes–I couldn’t stop and hit it pretty hard.
Lo and behold, MIke Bloomberg jumps out and storms up to me. I ask if he’s alright, and he glares and me and shouts, “I’m not happy!”
I think about it, look back and ask, “Ok, so which one are you?”

Sorry, I couldn’t resist.

5 Likes

I’m glad you’re OK. Looks like a hard hit.
I was stopped recently and got the same reaction from the officer. He told me he didn’t need to see my CCL or ask if was I carrying a weapon. I live in Texas but still found it interesting.

3 Likes

I got hit in Az past week in a const. zone the car pulled off right away I had to go about a 1/4 mile to pull off safely when the trooper got there I handed him my cal on top of my dl he adked where my firearm was at I told him and added that I would lock it in my truck if it would make him more comfortable he smiled and said your good… oh and btw the idiot that hit my Trk left the scene 3 hrs later he was arrested and written 5 tickets…

5 Likes

Glad they got the hit and run driver!

4 Likes

I also had a wreck in July with my Rufer LC9s in gthe center console. I had my wife come pick it up before I left in the ambulance, She also has a CCL & the Cop was very cool about me having the gun in my pocket & giving it to my wife after checking out our CCLs. A jeep pulled out onto an access road & I t-boned it in my Altima.

3 Likes

Glad you’re ok @RUGER9! Sounds like the cop was cool.

I was pulled over a few years ago and the Cop knows that you have a CCL by running your plates. So I kept my hands on the wheel until the officer asked me where my firearm was. I told him that it was in the center console. He had me step out, took my pistol, secured it & wrote my ticket. When he returned my pistol, he ha the mag out & had un-chambered the bullet. He told me to put my pistol in one pocket, the mag & extra bullet in the other pocket & not take them out until he left. Sounded resonable to me. Whatever makes them feel safe is ok with me as long as they dont get stupid about it & try to intimidate you for whatever reason. That happened to a buddy & he had the cop call his sargent. It was resolved quickly

1 Like

@RUGER9 Was it SAPD? I’ve been pulled over twice in the past 10 years on each occasion it was for going 71 and 72 in a 70mph zone. Both times it was in our then older, Camry, on our way out for vacation. The trunk was weighted down with luggage and camping stuff as well as the back seat.

We were really not pulled over for the speed as much as we were being pulled over out of profiling. In that part of Texas there is a lot of human trafficking so they were looking for illegals. I handed the LEO my LTC and DL, he looked at it, looked in the back seat and saw my 6 year old smiling at him amongst a pile of stuffed animals, and laughed and said be on your way.

Basically this is what happened both times. When you do present a LTC unless you have been going crazy fast, it gets you only a warning and not a citation.

I got pulled over in Windcrest, a suburb of San Antonio. The cops there don;t cut anyone slack,

Did you give the cop a cheesy smile, did you have a little cute kid in the back seat, did you have a Texas Police Association sticker on your vehicle, did you give him a gift card to WhatAburger?

I was alone & wasn’t smart enough to schmooze my way out of it :crazy_face:

You are fortunate to have been met with an officer performing his duties professionally… many people are not so fortunate.

In Omaha, Lincoln and Bellevue, NE you are more likely to be violated by the police. Nebraska is a duty to declare state and even tho’ the Supreme Court has said that they must have probable cause to search you, your vehicle or your passengers-- these 3 departments use the declare clause as probable cause and will violate you, your passengers and your vehicle. I have been in contact with the governor and a very conservative senator to stop these abuses… just saying… experiences can be very different.