Conversations useful to our cause

My mistake. I apologize.

Ross

1 Like

No need to apologize. Without voice inflection, body language, etc, it can be difficult if not impossible to communicate intent through pure text. I probably could have used a smiley or emoji or something there to be more clear

Edit: And not to get too far into the weeds, but there does need to be a line drawn somewhere, absolutely. There is no such thing as true freedom nor should there be, boil it down to that quote about fist swinging ending at another’s nose for starters.

IMO the operative word should really be Liberty, not freedom. And Liberty is constrained by the Liberties of those around you. It gets messy determining exactly what that means of course, the real world is complicated and the variables are endless

2 Likes

Paradoxically, complete freedom eventually ends up being no freedom. Complete freedom leads to anarchy, in which I can deprive you of all your freedoms, and you can deprive me of mine, in which we then end up with no freedom.

Liberty is freedom with reasonable limits. We cannot carry concealed weapons onto an airliner. As it should be.

Yes, “we” are not “allowed”, however, their is a special class of citizens that can and do, the “only ones”. I do not believe in special classes of citizenry in our country.

1 Like

There is a similar case in California. “We’ll, it’s California so…”

We have a “roster of handguns available for sale” in the state. Mr. Law Abiding Citizen can only buy brand new handguns that appear on the roster.

Guess who’s exempt from that restriction? It creates opportunities for crooks who luckily belong to that “special class.” :man_shrugging:t4:

Don’t read what I did not write.

1 Like

Ah, but you do.

If it’s not OK with you for me to walk into your house and help myself to your stuff, then you prove that you do, in fact, believe in special classes of citizens. 1) One class that can use your stuff. 2) One class that cannot.

These distinctions are absolutely necessary for the functioning of any society. This is why we have laws, to protect individual life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

Guns on airliners are just one special case. Bullets and pressurized cabins at altitude are incompatible with each other.

1 Like

Or to take it away. :us:

1 Like

3 Likes

Truly free creates a natural balance. It’s not “fair” or “nice” and is often messy and disagreeable. It is the closest you can get to fair and balanced. Anything else is less fair or further from balanced. Out in Alaska people take guns on plains every day. No big deal. The freedom to say what you want on this platform is so important. If the topic isn’t relevant it fizzles out fast. Good relevant topics take off, get hundreds of comments. This ones awesome. We need to talk about what to talk about. Definitely shouldn’t avoid things we don’t want to hear or believe though.

2 Likes

Different use of the word “class.” Taxonomic vs. natural rights.

Remember, there are three classes of people, those that understand mathematics, and those that do not.

3 Likes

I will be polite and just state that is asinine. I have stated previously that you are free to do what you want as long as it does not harm anyone else.

Then why do the federal Marshals carry firearms on planes?

3 Likes

All of these conversations about lofty ideals and ideas remind me of Nero playing the violin as Rome burned. This is our real world. :us:
This craziness is getting closer and closer to me, first Milwaukee and now Green Bay (40 miles).

Not pointing at any one person. :slightly_smiling_face: And if you get butt hurt. :man_shrugging: :man_facepalming:

Victor Davis Hanson. Who is more eloquent and and intelligent then I.

And coming to a city near you.

And Tucker Carlson, who has had the mob beating on his door.

Do you honestly think you can talk sense to the 1/2 of our country who voted for this?

4 Likes

Good points, but I think something like the Rittenhouse decision (which I wholeheartedly agreed with) is fair game because it was a self defense shooting.

Yes, There are some folks no matter what the subject are hard to talk to. On those folks its best to move on and let them do the same. I can usually pick up on that in the first min or so of talking. :us:

Agreed. And with the eyes of the world watching everything these days, whatever we talk about will be more effective if we are knowledgeable, well trained and supremely level-headed. That’s how we win.

1 Like

My point of that statement was the only solution to all of this chaos and imbalance is absolute freedom. Freedom for each state to construct their rules and laws as they see fit in accordance with the constitution without any federal influence. The federal government’s only jobs are to make good deals with other countries and keep our armed forces in the best position to defend our United States and the constitution. If you don’t like your counties rules, move counties. If you don’t like your states rules, move states. Most importantly, do not expect anyone other then yourself to feed or protect you. Who cares what the world sees. As long as it’s the truth, it should be said and heard.

1 Like

I’ll have to think about this for a while, but I can see some merit on the basis of scale.

So, SAW, grenades, flamethrower, RPG, and shoulder-fired SAM = OK.
But depth charges, crew-served weapons, and tracked launchers ≠ OK. Oh, and CS.
:innocent:

1 Like

When we are discussing strictly self-defense. However, I don’t recall reading the 2A is strictly about self-defense. I kind of recall reading something about “the security of a free State” - that does not sound like self-defense. One would almost be led to believe that our RKBA “shall not be infringed”. I believe I read something like that in the 2A, too. Let’s take a look:

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Ah, right, that’s in there, too.

Yup…so let’s not hand them anything else they can use to discredit the good, reasonable, responsible people who are interested in defending their lives.

Well-trained, knowledgeable, and supremely level-headed.

That’s the image I hope we can all project. That’s how we win.

1 Like

I totally get the feelings behind this, and I also agree.

The most powerful fire is a well-focused one. Like a finely focused cutting torch. And I’d like to suggest that the most effective fire we can use is a well-focused one that presents us as:

Knowledgeable, well trained and supremely level-headed.

That’s how we shut down the ridiculous negative stereotypes.

That’s how we win.

2 Likes