Confrontation Plan

Does anyone have a plan in place in case you are in a confrontation and do you practice with your family? One of the trainers that we took classes from taught us the importance of having a plan in place in case you ever are in a dangerous situation and have to pull your firearm. He has a code word and when he says it, his kids know to drop to the ground on their knees and face him and keep their eyes on him. That way, he knows where his kids are and they are out of the way if he has to pull a gun. He explained the importance of making sure that you know where your kids and spouse are so that you can minimize the chance of harming them in a situation. We practice with our son.

4 Likes

I have a plan with my wife for home defense. One thing in our plan is to be bery vocal with eachother during the situation, so we don’t accidentally shoot each other. As far as a store, we point things out quietly about areas to hide, or escape, or where a good fighting position is. We stay as vigilant as we can without being paranoid.

3 Likes

I was just talking about this on Friday night with a police officer friend of mine. His kids (teenagers) know that if he says run, they are to take off and get as far away as possible. They’ve talked about where they should go (friends house if at all possible), how long they should hide (until he comes to get them), and that they cannot ask questions at all if he says run.

It works for him as his kids are older. I like the idea of knowing where my kids are. He knows his kids are not in the area - that’s what works for him.

2 Likes

We have a plan for at home too. That is so vital. There was a story in the magazine that USCCA sends us about that. Such a sad story and it could have been avoided.

3 Likes

One thing i do with my family , is a running password… statement/ response… could even be a favorite movie quote… like ex. S. Never mess with a sicilian… A. When death is on the line. Princess Bride for those that dont know… But you can have that as a built in safety. Outside of that, im teaching my son during winter, you run to the gas station… During summer, run to the police station…

3 Likes

LOVE that movie! We’d never be able to use a movie quote, they get thrown around our house too often :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I always make sure I sit in a restaurant facing the door and strategically pick a seat at the movies. I hate going to the movies because I always feel like a sitting duck. That huge bucket of popcorn on my lap doesn’t help either, LOL

3 Likes

Our word is an exotic weird fruit.

1 Like

Well the last one for my son, was… when do i get my own flashy thingy… name that movie😉

2 Likes

T, i dont like popcorn much… but junior mints dont get in the way of my draw… however i agree… its hardcto be tactical in a dammed theater…

2 Likes

Haven’t googled - Men in Black?

2 Likes

Yuppers… i mean really it could even be a phrase you like… most commom one i heard in the army was two words… S. Flash. A. Thunder

1 Like

How about, Backblast Area All Clear!!! And everyone just runs to their designated spot???
All joking aside, my children know if someone tries to invade our home through the only entrance we have. they are to be as far back and out of sight as they can be. I don’t have any set code words for being in the public, I simply have them walk on the sides or slightly in front of me so they aren’t out of my view and not on my holster side. I haven’t gone over code words simply because they are pretty sensitive to traumatic ideas, and easing them into conversations of “the world can be a crumby place” has caused my ex-wife to have long discussion about how she’s worried about what I’m teaching them. Needless to say, I have some catching up to do but I have to go about it gradually.

1 Like

The ex can always make things harder if they want to especially if they don’t have similar views. This is one area my ex and I have similar views - and since I have a lot of training, there’s some respectful conversation. :slight_smile:

Even though you may put up with some grief from the ex, your children’s lives are more important than any grief you get from her. Hopefully, they’ll never have to use that training!

2 Likes