Conceal Carry a Full-size 1911?

Recently got a used full-size 1911 (5" barrel) for half the price of what it’d be new (checked it out on the range, put about 50 rounds through it, handles great!), and decided it’d be my home defense weapon. My EDC is a Taurus G2C which I carry appendix, and it works well.

I wonder though, am I being hasty in not really considering the 1911 for EDC as well? Near as I can tell, the best way to carry a full-size 1911 is in an OWB holster on my hip - which I prefer not to do in the area I live in. Would it be possible to carry it otherwise? I can’t see carrying it AIWB, not with that long slide…

8 Likes

I have carried one on my hip, IWB. I don’t want anything pointed near my ability to pee without assistance

11 Likes

You can carry 12 o’clock… middle of your back.

3 Likes

Depending on where you live, east coast/westcoast

11 Likes

With a good holster and belt set up you will hardly know is there, I carry mine frequently. :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Interesting option! I’d have to wear a jacket to conceal it though, which would get…uncomfortable during the height of summer. :laughing:

5 Likes

Come on Bill

2 Likes

Yes, you can, but if you are in an up close and personal confrontation and get punched or shoved onto your ass, you are much less likely to be able to get to it while fending off the miscreant. Further, if you fall all the way onto your back that sucker is gonna HURT your back, like falling on a rock.

11 Likes

97 degrees and 179% humidity, doesn’t get any cooler than that :cold_face:

12 Likes

While I don’t have that particular gun, I do have a Springfield XD-9 with a 4.25” barrel that I use as my EDC. Usually doesn’t stick out that much as long as I give some thought to my outfit. I’ve carried IWB and OWB. For work I wear slacks, so I use a Sneaky Pete holster. Most people assume it’s an iPad holder and few ask questions.

I realize most people like something smaller for concealed carry, but this is what works for me. As 99.9% of the general population have no idea that I’m carrying, I’d say it’s a pretty successful set up.

5 Likes

I carry AIWB…was just offering a suggestion. I move my gun at times so it is less conspicuous.

1 Like

I’ve carried a 5" M&P in a IWB (not appendix) holster with no problems. So i see no reason you couldn’t do that with a 1911. Just make sure you have the right belt to support it.

5 Likes

If you completely run out of options, follow me for more fashionable ideas!
Please consult your doctor if you’re going to get pregnant :joy:

IMG_4200

The world is so phucked up, you carry how ever is most comfortable and safe for your area!

5 Likes

That was f-in hilarious :joy:

1 Like

I’m wondering what might be the reason to drop carrying G2C in favor of full size 1911 … :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

4 Likes

Bill I think you mean 6 o’clock and secondly I don’t reccomend it for a variety of reasons, speed, weapon retention , and see @Craig_AR response, Craig is point on.

6 Likes

I’ve carried my 1911 full size with a IWB before, but depending on clothing, and the consideration of printing. Middle of back with a belly band might work, but difficult to get too, but does reduce printing. I’ve used the IWB, but being somewhat thinner in body, it is hard to find a location on the waist that allows for the longer barrel length, and sitting like at a restaurant, or event where you may be seated. The middle of back can help a little, but that usability is a key. If speed of draw isn’t a consideration, I guess having it still works, just hope you have the ability to pull it. Not that this is about open carry, but if I am in the wilderness areas, I am ok for open.

6 Likes

Personally my idea of home defense is something far more terminally effective (think shoulder fired rifle/shotgun), and my idea of a full size pistol is something that holds like 18 rounds

4" or maybe 4.5" is plenty ‘full size’ for a 1911 which is relatively thin I’d think a little shorter barrel would make a big difference and carry a lot better…not like .45 needs that much barrel to do its thing

Maybe it wants to be a ‘range gun’ or a ‘car gun’

2 Likes

It’s a military thing… 24 hour analog clock. I understood it.

3 Likes

I am military vet also, but in all fairness he did not say 1200 he said 12 o’clock.

4 Likes