Conceal and carry in businesses where they prohibit it

Yeah, i let that one go as well, i didn’t think you really meant any harm by it, but in PA, all you need is a clean record and 3 non relative references. Hell, i got my first license when i was 21, moved to Ohio, it expired, when i went back years later, i just did a renewal.
Not to mention, that there are so many issues and rules made against our constitutional rights that go unchallenged that lead people to believe that any push back by the police is ok even though they could be hindering your rights. I just wanted to be prepared. I fully believe that any law prohibiting carrying a fire are is by definition unconstitutional.

3 Likes

That’s normally when i make sure I’m carrying.

2 Likes

In Illinois, a sign with the No Firearms symbol simply means the business doesn’t want people carrying in their business. They may ask you to leave, but you cannot get arrested for simply carrying inside.

HOWEVER, if the sign includes the Code number referencing the restricted areas code, you can be arrested for carrying in such locations. The sign with the code number listed makes all the difference. Those must be heeded.

7 Likes

This definitely varies greatly by state and locality. I watched a couple of videos on the “Armed Attorneys” Youtube channel about this topic in Texas. There are some very specific laws and specific wording required for such signs based on which section of the legal code applies, and the force of law they carry depends on what type of location, particularly as to establishements that serve alcohol and whether they are deemed bars or restaurants. Someone already mentioned Virginia and generally these signs have no legal force but certainly you could potentially be arrested for trespassing if you refuse to leave. My dentist’s office has a sign in the elevator lobby regarding some state or federal office located in the building (which is otherwise dental and medical offices) and therefore carry is prohibited. I believe that would be enforceable on its own.

4 Likes

If you have a legal right to carry, you’re in a State that allows concealed carry, you may be asked to leave but not arrested. What law could you have broken?

2 Likes

Russ,
You may have the legal right to carry in public, either through Constitutional (permit-less) Carry, or with a permit or license. However, neither status allows legal carry everywhere. Federal law makes it a crime to carry in K-12 public schools, secure areas of airports, Federal offices, and Post Offices. State laws, which vary state-to-state, may make it illegal to carry in such places as public parks, churches, state or local government offices, courts or courthouses, public access areas of airports, etc. State laws also may make it a crime to carry into a private business displaying no-guns signage. In all of those cases, those are the laws you would have broken.
Some states recognize no-guns signage as indicating an owner policy and not a legal prohibition. In those states (such as Virginia) if management sees that you are carrying, they can trespass you and youi must leave immediately. Should you refuse to leave once told you are trespassing, then they can have police arrest you for violating the trespass law.

I hope this clarifies a murky situation.

7 Likes

Trespass law.

In many states, laws require there be a warning that you aren’t allowed to be on property before you can be convicted for trespassing on the property. While a property owner can directly tell a trespasser to leave the premises, in many states, there are other ways to provide notice that property is off limits. For example, a sign saying “No Trespassing,” a fence around the property, or a locked door to the property will do the job.

4 Likes

That’s what I said.

2 Likes

That’s not tresspassing

1 Like

I might add this being in a Constitutional Carry State and Having a Permit for travel to states that do not have Constitutional Carry that even having your firearm on Post Office Property is a crime! The Post Office does not even allow a firearms unloaded in a locked box in your locked car if you drive onto the property to drop a letter in a mailbox, let alone walking into the Post office Legally Carrying. Very sad. If this has been changed please correct me, I heard this 3 years ago!

5 Likes

What is not trespassing?

4 Likes

You are trespassing if you refuse to leave, not when you enter.

3 Likes

That depends on the specifics of the specifics of the case

3 Likes

Thank you all for adding good depth to this discussion, where we all seem to share a common bond and interest.

4 Likes

I’m almost positive that it’s a felony in CT.

3 Likes

I also live in Utah and carry everywhere I go except Federal Buildings or where firearms are illegal i.e. Courthouses. If a business owner or shop keeper were to see my normally concealed firearm and asked me to leave I would of course comply but I would tell them that I will no longer do business with their establishment and I only spend my money with Patriots.

5 Likes

I believe you are correct. I will not go to the Post office whenever possible. If I really must, I’ll park my car or truck off Federal property, like the parking lot next door or on the street away from the Post Office property. Here in Utah we are even encouraged by the State Officers at our State Capital to Carry our firearms.

5 Likes

I will go no where there is a metal detector,and I always will be concealed,there is a sign in a Mexican restaurant down the street that has a sign at the register that has a sign at the register that says no un licensed allowed so if you have a license,then the weapon is allowed

6 Likes

Weapons allowed

5 Likes

Layton, thanks for the post. I never heard of that. Interesting. That a business would post a sign reading “those with FA licenses” can carry inside.

For learning and supporting our cause; If possible, please check if ok to take a photograph of their sign and post it here. Maybe avoid listing the store’s identity here, for fear of backlash by those against our rights.

However, if you are not comfortable, or if it in anyway would affect that store to not allow us to CCW carry inside, please never mind my request.

Wouldn’t want to risk ruining a good thing for you, the patrons, and that store.

3 Likes