Colorado reciprocity -need clarification

I plan to take a little road trip to Denver so I looked up Colorado Concealed Carry Reciprocity With Other States.

Which states’ permits does Colorado honor?

I have a UT nonresident permit which is not recognized in CO.
I’m thinking of getting a FL nonresident permit as an alternative.

Florida
handguns only and resident permits only

• Could someone please clarify if it meant exactly as it’s written—No FL nonresident permits recognized in CO?

What are my options?

These look ok:
Carry in vehicle :white_check_mark:
Open carry except in Denver County :white_check_mark:

Thank you.

https://handgunlaw.us/states/colorado.pdf
and from that page:

Colorado Does Not Honor Non-Resident Permits/Licenses. You must be a resident of the state they honor for your permit to be valid in Colorado.

That means a Utah non-resident permit will be just as useless as a Florida non-resident license while in Colorado.

Also, be sure to scroll down to read the section
RV/Car Carry Without a Permit/License

As an aside, to obtain a Utah non-resident permit you must have the license or permit from your state of residency. Do you? Is it recognized by Colorado?

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resources/ccw_reciprocity_map/co-gun-laws/

1 Like

Yes (CA) and a big NO.
Thanks for the additional info.

I thought the two below are as simple as green is go.

Nothing is law is like that. Always think the worst and plan for that. CO is almost as liberal as CA. Know your stuff.

1 Like

“Concealed carry is not allowed in secure area of airports”.
Question: does gun in luggage, unloaded and in a locked container, count as CC? How do you travel to CO with a firearm by air if so?

Prob. just confusing wording.

1 Like

I plan to drive. I just want to ensure I’m in compliance.
I recall when I went to Four Corners National Monument, I had to make a quick stop as I was leaving UT border to unload and lock my handgun.

1 Like

The 4 Corners monument is actually on the Navajo Nation. The last time I looked into it the Navajo Nation supposedly follows the firearm laws of whatever State you are in. However I have heard several stories of tribal officers confiscating weapons and requiring the owners to return with proof of ownership in order to get them back. The Navajo Nation is the size of Ohio so it can be kinda hard to avoid driving through it.

Many other tribal lands have different rules for firearms than the States they are in. And many of the tribal land boundaries are not clearly marked. Something to be aware of, especially in the West where there are a lot of different tribal lands.

3 Likes

Very true!
In particular, tribal land in a Constitutional Carry state may or may NOT be Constitutional Carry, also. I confirmed this with the Cherokee Nation in Oklahoma in converstatio with an lawyer in the CN Attorney Genera;'s Office. OK has Constitutional Carry, but CN does not.

4 Likes

I actually answered my own question - same rule, no aiport carry, exists in FL, and I flew into FL with firearm in luggage, so that’s the meaning of the rule - unloaded in the luggage, not on person.

1 Like

So what happens if you dont have any receipts from 1974? Had anyone ever pushed back legally?

1 Like

In most of the stories I read about the owners never bothered trying to go back and wade through whatever process they would have to go through. The reservations are sovereign nations so you are usually dealing with their laws. I’m not sure if this is legal or illegal under the tribal laws and the tribal constitution. Though LEOs outside the reservations in many states unconstitutionally practice civil asset forfeiture all the time, taking whatever cash, firearms and other property they want based on the suspicion it was obtained illegally with no due process to prove it. They rely on the fact that you won’t challenge them to prove your innocence because in most cases the time and legal fees cost more than the property they steal.

When I used to work out there I carried copies of the receipts for whatever PPE I may have been carrying. Though in my limited experience the tribal police did not ask if you were carrying. I stuck out being a white guy driving and parking my vehicle in random locations where no one but the locals ever went and even some places where they didn’t go so I had several encounters with curious tribal officers over the years. If they believed you were legitimately out there (you are supposed to have a permit to wander around away from the main highways and tourist attractions) and weren’t breaking any serious laws they usually won’t give you a hard time. In the cases I read about where people were given a hard time the firearms were clearly visible and/or the people involved seemed a little or a lot on the sketchy side.

The Navajo Nation tribal police have one of the
highest per capita on duty death rates of LEOs in the country. They have a huge area to patrol with very few officers and a lot of drugs, alcoholism and other extreme poverty related issues to deal with. They also always work solo with backup often hours away. I once had them called on me because someone thought I was sketchy and they either didn’t believe my permit or didn’t care and just wanted me to go away. Took the responding officer over 6 hours to get there even though they were told on the call that some of the locals were fixing to get their rifles and run me off.

3 Likes

That’s a real concern that discourages me from exploring some areas of interest on road trips.
Knowledge is power but hard to acquire in this case.

2 Likes

There are some map apps that allow you to load various layers including public/private lands and tribal lands.

You can’t safely be constantly checking it while driving down the road but they are useful for trip planning.

Though I haven’t heard of any map apps with layers to tell you when you are in a county or city limits that has its own set of anti self defense laws. That would be a useful layer to have but I don’t think anyone could keep up with the constant law changes in all these 2A violation zones.

1 Like

Option 3: Don’t go to Denver. Denver is its own country. I doubt whether Denver would honor your non-resident permits from UT or NV or anywhere else. You may find yourself arrested, your firearm confiscated and facing charges (bogus or not) that will be expensive to resolve.

2 Likes

I can now picture myself like it was my pre-CCW days when going to the range,
before leaving home, I would need to
unload my gun(s),
lock them, then
put them in a locked container,
with ammo in a separate container.

1 Like

That’s 'cause cops in Denver think anyone with a gun is a criminal now or soon to be.

2 Likes

CO doesn’t honor non-resident permits from other states regardless.
I heard “don’t go to Chicago” and “don’t go to NY”, but don’t go to Denver! Have things gotten this bad in the city? Practical question.

1 Like

I guess I’ll find out soon enough.

I would still go—with pepper spray and a couple “sticks” while my handgun is unloaded and locked in a portable safe as I enter CO.

1 Like

So, in CO right now. Concealed from CA ==> AZ ==> NV ==> UT. As soon as I crossed CO state line, concealed only inside the car.
Also, NOT going to Denver County.

I could open carry but not ideal. Just a pocket knife.

3 Likes

Be careful when you get back to CA. Sounds like the list of places you can carry will get really small when the new anti self defense laws go into effect!

2 Likes