Clean, or Lots of Stuff

EDC has a Hogue grip on it to better fit my hand, and a pinky base plate to better control the kick of the 40 caliber round. My house pistol has a laser sight on the rail to mitigate aiming without :eyeglasses:

I think trying to avoid upgrades is stupid. Why not upgrade to help you better defend yourself with a legal gun? Screw DAs trying to convict people for improving their chances of survival. That in itself is unlawful.

3 Likes

I almost had a milk-blowing-out-the-nose moment when I looked it up and saw it was a CO2 pellet. Now, I want one!
(Never thought I’d say that for any ‘toy’ which looks oh, so very, very much like a /real/ gun.)
On second thought, I could build that in a .22LR - easy.
/sigh smh

2 Likes

While I do agree upgrades/beauty mods are a personal choice, I strongly agree that on your EDC functional upgrades are far better than cosmetic stuff. If the grip is too smooth, stipple it or use the overlays, sure that’s common sense. 35 lb. trigger pull? Yeah, fix that. I actually consider myself fortunate in that my APX is just fine for me right out of the box. 6lb trigger, nice side stippling with very aggressive front and backstrap grips, and the factory 3 dot sights seem to be right on at the range I’d likely need to be using it. I may at some point replace the factory 3 dots with more advanced sights, as Beretta offers quite a variety of options, but even that is rather minor.
A good light is really all I think I need, and I’ll probably wait for the duty size weapon to get that, as I’ll need a new holster anyway. Maybe a laser, but even that isn’t a priority for me. If it is for you, more power to you, just buy quality.
One thing I really don’t understand though, is some opinions and articles I’ve seen have the owner working over the trigger until an ant sneezing will set it off. Why would someone do that? I can see lightening a really heavy trigger, but isn’t there a point where it actually becomes dangerous?

I’d have to disagree, at least regarding lights, lasers, and optics. Those are all legitimate force multipliers and positive target identifiers. They’re modifications that will measurably increase effectively regardless of ability level. Especially so in low light environments, where the majority of DGU take place, and the odds of negligence due to poor target identification and/or shot placement are increased.

2 Likes

I have made a few thought out modifications. As I get older my grip is not se strong as it used to be. I like the Anichigrip (Account Suspended) as it helps me with getting a secure grip on my slide to rack. I also have used Hogue grips when it helps my hand fit the weapon. My only “luxury” was adding a green LIMA sight to my P-365. When used in conjunction with my iron sight It helps my groups otherwise I would not use it. It has a nice contoured profile with the gun so dosent get in my way or snag on anything.

I love those ArachniGrips.
I bought a Recover Tactical charger for my mother, she said it’s great!

2 Likes

Thanks for the recommendation. I will check them out for another weapon I have. Really appreciate it!
John

1 Like

Well, you’re coming right out and asking us if we’re a tighty whitey, boxer, boxer brief or commando eh? You shouldn’t get too many odd answers here.

purists will likely tell you to get good without the “crap” and learn to shoot your weapon.

Novelty people will tell you about how vastly improved they are with their red dot or how necessary lights are in case they have to make their way past the light switch in their dark homes to check out that noise.

Survivalists will tell you that you need to have 20 mags, 2 extra knives, an axe, fire starter, wire saw, fishing line, and 1/2 a day’s worth of rations on you at any given time in case zombies or their ex’s lawyers come after them.

So, who am I? I’m the guy who lives in crazy California who knows that if I was to carry all that crap or have an arsenal of mags and survival gear…I wouldn’t be free for long. In my state, we aren’t allowed to make any modifications to our weapon without potentially risking our freedom if we ever had to use our weapon. Apparently, the liberal courts and juries don’t look favorably on gun totting citizens already…so if you added a laser, light, modified your trigger, added cool extras…well…they’d conclude you’re looking for trouble and lock you up as a terrorist.

As for what you should do…personal preference bud. make that decision yourself.

2 Likes

@Erik10 Can you put a gun skin on or is that considered a modification also?(being serious)

Let me articulate so the jail house lawyers (and real lawyers) don’t argue with me.

There is no law that states you can’t modify your carry weapon. There ARE however, LOTS and LOTS of gun hating DAs, Police, Judges, and jurists who would make it their life’s ambition to throw you in jail forever regardless of if it was self defense or not. Many consider modifications to your carry weapon as a way to imply you were “looking for trouble” or were a “rambo type”.

I’ve had to sit through 6 concealed carry classes and in each, the instructor vehemently “instructs” NOT to modify your weapon because it’ll be used to imply you are a gun totting loon who needs to be locked up. There are many cases where pissed off DAs have considered trigger modifications, gun skins, grip wraps, and other modifications as evidence you were looking for a fight and try and suggest your self defense was more likely a vendetta.

So, that said, sure…you can put on or modify your weapon however you want…just understand that anything you do can and will come back to haunt you in this state.

2 Likes

In my case some would be offended by the flag and want to burn it.
Rural NV has its benefits, :us:

2 Likes

@Greg6, I think it comes down to personal preference. In my life, I prefer simplicity and “OEM” when it comes to design. I buy inexpensive, yet quality stuff, maintain it well, and use it as-intended. Hyundai Accent, 280K miles; Toyota Corolla, 270K miles. SCCY CPX-2, 2,300 rounds and counting; Taurus G2C. Train, train, train. I’m just not big on the add-ons.

I’m not at all critical of those who choose them. I’m just a simple guy who can use the simple tools I like effectively. When fit hits the shan, all that matters is rounds on target. Everything else is just window dressing.

2 Likes

Yours looks great. I would be hesitant to put a punisher logo on a pistol-- to me, it has the potential to scream "I"m a vigilante. "

2 Likes

I don’t get it either. If your pistol is also a home defense weapon I “get” having a flash light on it or even a red dot. Past that I don’t get all the custom mag wells, mag release buttons, or even trigger work that gets done. My EDC is a CZ-P10C and it was 99% perfect out of the box with the only change I made was a night viz sight for the front sight because it was just that basic white and the color helps me pick-up the front sight faster. Otherwise it’s stock and shoots very well.

1 Like

I did not read every response in the thread but here’s something to consider when dressing up your edc. If you take the time and money to do your upgrades (which is fine) and you are pressed into a situation that you decide will require using your firearm to protect yourself or someone else, once the situation is under the control of the police, your firearm will become evidence and you will likely lose it. In a number of cases, never seen again as the police or lawyers in the case maintain strict control of the evidence. If you are in a not “gun friendly” state, you will probably never be able to retrieve it.
So, if you carry a stock firearm, one that is not as near and dear to your heart, losing it to the endless paperwork of evidence would not be as much of a let down for the time and money you pour into your lil’ beauty.

1 Like

Yeah, the punisher logo may be iffy.

Well said. This is why I carry a stock M&P shield. I’ve got a lot of nicer guns, and I don’t want to lose them.

1 Like

I also carry a stock M&P shield. Great and reliable firearm, easy to conceal and not so expensive as a $1500 Kimber or something, lol.

2 Likes

I would love to carry my Kimber, but to lose it as part of an investigation… no way.

1 Like