Charging Handle Worth Upgrading?

Is the charging handle worth upgrading beyond mil spec? If so, what are some suggestions. I’m looking into the new Awro precision Breach handle, that being said, is it worth $75? Is there another more affordable option that’s a substantial upgrade from milspec?

1 Like

I changed all my handles to Ambi, being left handed makes it easier for me even on my scoped AR’s.

2 Likes

That looks similar to the highly regarded Radian Raptor that costs a little more. Having the ambi ability is nice in case you have to operate the rifle from awkward positions. The Radian also feels smoother to operate than most of the standard charging handles I have tried.

3 Likes

OK, I have to admit some ignorance, here. How is it better than a normal charging handle? Isn’t the whole point of the rear charging handle so that it can be operated with either hand, as opposed to the common bolt lever on the right side of a rifle? Sorry for the dumb question, I’m just scratching my head. I shoot both ways, and while there are some features that can be tricky when shooting left-handed, I don’t recall the charging handle being a challenge.

2 Likes

Added leverage. The stock handles I can only use with my right hand due to where the lever disengages.

2 Likes

I’m going to ask a really dumb question. I know nothing about AR’s. When I say nothing, I mean absolutely nothing. With this in mind, please do not laugh at my question.

What is the “charging handle” for?

2 Likes

There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers😀
The charging handle attaches to the BCG(Bolt Carrier Group)to pull it back which chambers a round from the magazine

3 Likes

Worth it is always subjective :slight_smile:

I’ve had standard milspec and its totally fine. If you don’t find yourself complaining when using it, I would leave it as-is. This is IMO a pretty low-priority upgrade.

I went and got one of the BCM handles (added leverage for easier charging) and it was OK. I wouldn’t recommend spending money there and they are $40-60 price range. It doesn’t add much above the milspec ones that is notable.

On the never ending quest for “just one more shiny thing” I tried the Radian Raptor LT charging handle and the Geissele Airborne charging handle. Both of these offer a noticeable improvement over milspec IMO. They are easier to unlatch and rack especially if you need to grab from a non-optimal angle or without a full grip. Both have been snag-free in my non-operator operations, but the Geissele’s design/shape makes it really unlikely to snag on gear (that is it’s intended purpose). The Radian is a little easier to manipulate.

There are also some models designed to reduce gas blowback when running suppressed but I can’t speak to those.

The Radian and Geissele are similar cost between $60-100 depending on whether or not you can find one on sale. Is that worth it to you is totally subjective. If you’ve already tinkered with the rest of the rifle, why not? But I’d put other upgrades like optics, sling, lights etc before it in the queue

2 Likes

It is the rough equivalent to racking the slide on a pistol.

On a pistol, you pull the slide back.

On an AR (and others systems with similar mechanics) you pull the charging handle and the handle pulls the bolt back.

Upgrading the charging handle is the rough equivalent to upgrading slide serrations on a pistol slide.

4 Likes

On a standard milspec charging handle. If you grab the levers with a full grip and an even # of fingers on each side (righty or lefty doesnt matter) and pull straight back its usually easy-peasy. If you only grab one side or the other (for any number of reasons) and pull you will find it becomes considerably harder. For those designs that have the latch mechanism on only one side (usually the left side) you will see it is pretty well impossible to run from the opposite side since the latch won’t disengage.

Upgraded charging handles will have the latch able to be disengaged from either side.

Even better charging handles make it so you can pull the charging handle without needing to have an even grip on both sides/levers.

1 Like

I am of the leave it alone if its not bothering you camp. It adds “bling” and individualization, kind of, but unless you are left handed, the benefits are minimal. Think about it this way, one nice thing about the AR is that it has a non-reciprocating charging handle, aka it doesnt move as the bolt cycles. So, you dont have this big “wing” like in a Mini or M1A sticking out the side. It makes the rifle a lot trimer, stores in a safe or case easier, etc. So, if its not an issue, why add some easy grip ambi charging handle that is twice as wide (some more than that)? You see where I am going with this.

3 Likes

Yes, the charging handle is completely worth upgrading. Initially, you may say…why? Well, simply change yours out with a large catch or ambi setup and you will wonder why you waited so long.

If you run function/malfunction drills, this is where you will notice the difference the most. The charging handle is easier to manipulate, and if you are practicing off hand, an ambi charging handle will make the weapon easier to manipulate.

Anything that gives you an edge is always worth upgrading :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@Justin47, the charging handle is used to chamber a round in the rifle. No question is a dumb question brother. I just got my first AR15 and am learning myself. There are people on this forum that have a lot of knowledge regarding rifles. @Craig6 is a knowledgeable dude and any questions you have he’s very helpful.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure there are charging handles which are better than others but I will stick with my factory one for now but will consider an upgrade later.

2 Likes

My answer to these types of questions is that it gives you peace of mind to replace a piece, to do so. But if you ever have to defend yourself with it, to be able to articulate why you changed that specific part.

3 Likes

I agree with @Zavier_D if you have it as an optional SD gun. The deciding factor for me is if the rifle has optics as in Rifle Scope type. If it does I want a big ole handle on the side that I can actuate flat on my belly with the palm of my hand. If it has an EOTECH, Aimpoint or other micro sight then the charging handle doesn’t matter to me as much. If someone made a CH that folded flat on both sides I might consider $75, other than that no way.

Cheers,

Craig6

3 Likes