Center fire vs. rim fire

Hello -

Can someone explain, or provide a link to a good explanation, the difference between center-fire and rim-fire as it pertains to handguns? I think I understand the difference between the two when it comes to ammunition: rim-fire means the primer is anywhere around the rim, whereas center-fire means the primer is in the center of the ammunition. I think I’ve seem references to center-fire vs. rim-fire handguns but just want someone to tell me that I’m imagining things!

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

It pretty much boils down to caliber. There are a variety of .17, .22, and .25 caliber ammunition types. They are all rimfire. The remainder of the handgun calibers are all centerfire.

If I’ve gotten something wrong, I am sure someone will come along shortly to correct me.

:rofl:

4 Likes

Great question. I’ll stay tuned.

One of my licensure class instructors shared (his words) that rim fires have higher rate of non firing, using analogy of sugar being thrown in a case, some of the sugar piles up more onto one side, not evenly distributed. So when the firing pin strikes, it could hit a side of the casing which has less of that ever important flammable power.

I’m still new to shooting, but of all the weapons I’ve tried, the one .22 caliber I used did not fire a few times; Keeping in mind, that gun is an 80 year old classic.

Our friend’s here know the proper term for it, for when that happens:

“Dud” might not be the proper name? My instructor told us, please still keep that gun pointed in a safe direction, such as at the paper target, because that bullet can still go off, keep it pointed at the paper target for at least 30 seconds. Then you may need to immediately, and carefully remove that bullet from the gun. When I did, I saw the dent that the pin made, and discarded that spent bullet.

God forbid - ‘in self defense’, “if you pull trigger, but no bang”, if you can keep it pointed at target or safe manner for that 30 seconds, then if needed, resume shooting, (if revolver) I personally would not want to remove the misfire then & there, as I’d have more pressing matters to attend to. I’ll let others chime in on best tactical advice (not my area). With semi auto’s, the good folks in our community can teach us about when and how to clear it.

1 Like
8 Likes

.25 ACP is centerfire. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Yep, this is the Internet! LOL

4 Likes

If this happened in a self defense scenario…tap, rack, bang (with the bang being only if needed) on a semi-auto. With a revolver, pull the trigger again (again, only if needed).

In my opinion, this is something that should be drilled. Maybe not immediately for new shooters, but definitely for anyone who carries.

If you experience any kind of malfunction during a real life self-defense scenario, the goal is to fix the malfunction and get back in the fight.

3 Likes

Their are other center fire small calibers too. .17 Fireball, .22 hornet. Center fire cartridges have a center inserted primer. Rimfire has an intergrated primer in the outside rim of the cartridges. Their is also old weired primer set ups that used pin primers.

3 Likes

I know many of you have seen this, but for those who haven’t…

For a real life example of clearing a malfunction during a self-defense shooting (tap, rack, bang), check this video out (be advised, strong language and video of someone being shot):

1 Like

Google is your friend…

2 Likes

NRA Blog: A ‘Primer’ About Rimfire Vs. Centerfire Ammunition

1 Like

Don’t forget that .223/556 is 22 caliber (center fire) and there are AR pistols now.

3 Likes

@OldGnome I forgot about the .25 Stevens was a rimfire rifle cartridge, produced 1900-1942. Also there was a Remington .267 rimfire it was dropped in 1942 also. I learned something new today. Have a good weekend.

Howdy. Y’all might want to take another look at any .25 cal ammo you have and see if that strange little circular “button” in the center of the rear of the casing has actually re-formed and moved to the rim.

1 Like

When it comes to caliber, I’ll stick to the .22 as a “fun caliber” for targets and small game, and centerfires for self-defense and big game. It only makes sense - if you research the history of ammunition development, the .22 was our very first metallic cartridge developed by S & W in the 1850’s from an elongated primer cap, and then the race was on to develop larger calibers with more reliable centerfire systems later in that decade, along with smokeless powder. .22s and other rimfires featured large spurs on their hammers designed to strike the cartridge rim, Empty .44 Henry cases found after Little Big Horn had several dents in their rims, leading to the belief that some of the ammo used had actually been reloaded. FYI

2 Likes

FYI: Don’t “Dry Fire” with rimfire firearms. The Firing pin strikes against the edge of the chamber instead of the center of the chamber mouth. This can cause the firing pin to deform and/or break off.

1 Like

Welcome! I am using Tipton (?) snap caps with a Glock43X and, eventually, my Glock 19X. Is that okay? And I think that is why I initially asked the question: I had read up on the centerfire/rimfire ammo side of things, but in an article I was reading, maybe in an NRA mag or a USCCA mag, they mentioned rimfire/centerfire handguns. How do I know what I have? I know that I am getting a Glock 44, so that is .22 LR and should be a rimfire handgun. Can I assume that ANY 9x19 / 9mm Luger handgun I get is centerfire? Thanks!

------Yes.

1 Like

AHA! We both appear to have had memory lapses as I indeed forgot about some of the really old and no longer produced .25 ammo. They still made some pin fire ammo when those you pictured were made. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Jolly good show! :grin:

1 Like